• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which Verizon Android phone to get and whats in store?

I've been a WM 6.5 user for two years now. BB for a year. Palm for 8 years. It seems like Windows Phone 7 may not cut it as I'm more of a business smart phone user. So I may look at Android in February when my HTC Imagio contract is up.

The things I need are, in order of importance.

1. Exchange Server. Does Androids built in Exchange any good? I just set up Touchdown app on friends Droid X. I like that Exchange on WM is integrated with other applications though and not a 3rd party program
  2. Good phone coverage
  3. Document viewer. PDF, DOC, TIFF files
  4. Threaded text messaging
  5. Tethering to PDANet
  6. Free Navigation (currently use BING)
  7. Multi-tasking
  8. Document editor, like Office
  9. Camera with Flash
  10. Fast Browser. Currently use Opera Mini.
  11. Storage Card.
  12. Good File Explorer
  13. Decent internal memory
  14. Social Media apps
Which Verizon Android phone would be best now... Incredible, Droid 2, Droid X, Fascinate? What's on the horizon for late winter, early spring. I like my HTC Imagio, only if it had a faster processor and more internal memory. Thanks.

As always, wrong section.

Also, all android phones (except a few) have everything you mentioned, except for good exchange (get touchdown) and document editing (get docs to go). Many things can be simply downloaded if you want them as well, like a file browser. I use astro for mine. Also, for all the new verizon android phones, if you want free navigation, you are forced to root, because verizon signed a contact with microsoft agreeing to gimp all their phones with bing. It removes everything that is google from your phone, short of the market and gmail. Basically, bad news all around, unless you pay for the inferior verizon apps like their navigation and whatnot.

Upvote 0

Also, all android phones (except a few) have everything you mentioned, except for good exchange (get touchdown) and document editing (get docs to go). Many things can be simply downloaded if you want them as well, like a file browser. I use astro for mine. Also, for all the new verizon android phones, if you want free navigation, you are forced to root, because verizon signed a contact with microsoft agreeing to gimp all their phones with bing. It removes everything that is google from your phone, short of the market and gmail. Basically, bad news all around, unless you pay for the inferior verizon apps like their navigation and whatnot.

That's ridiculous. If you don't like it (I hate bing), don't use it. Just download google maps from the market and hey presto you have navigation. So it's an annoyance that we don't have google out-of-box but easily rectified.

Upvote 0

Wut?? No, not all Android phones are signed to a contract with Microsoft to use Bing. In fact, the only one I know of is the Samsung Fascinate, but every Galaxy S phone is hampered with that. All Moto and HTC phones on Verizon use Google Search and Maps.

Upvote 0
Exchange Server. Does Androids built in Exchange any good? I just set up Touchdown app on friends Droid X. I like that Exchange on WM is integrated with other applications though and not a 3rd party program
"Good" is highly subjective, regardless of topic. I don't find the stock Exchange client on my Droid to be sufficient for my needs which is why I use Touchdown. I can't say whether or not the stock app on whatever device you're looking at will work for you. If it doesn't, there are other Exchange clients out there such as RoadSync and Moxier. Try them out. It's how I decided on Touchdown.

I don't get the stock app affinity. Coming from a BB I consider it a major plus that I'm not stuck using stock apps like I was on the BB for many things. Don't assume that 3rd party means lesser. It depends on the app in question.

Document viewer. PDF, DOC, TIFF files
May require 3rd party app.

Free Navigation (currently use BING)
Not a problem if the device has or can load Google Maps Navigation. Is free the only concern? Do you travel internationally or are you frequently in areas with no coverage? If so, you might want to consider an app with locally stored maps.

Multi-tasking
Every Android device does this so it's pointless to have it on the list.

Good phone coverage
Good to realize that but asking general coverage questions is pointless. You need to assess real world (don't rely on maps) coverage where you specifically need it. Talk to those that use the carriers you're considering in areas where you need the coverage. Make the most of the carrier's return period to determine if coverage actually meets your needs.

Upvote 0
In my opinion, I say you would get the most from the DX.

I have the DX. Also, I have had myself, and/or have friends with all the other Android phones VZW has, EXCEPT the Droid 2.

So, the Droid 2 may have some advantage you would prefer (I wouldn't know), but the larger screen of the X (over the 2) is a must in my book.

(Having said that: These "which phone" decisions can become awful subjective.. once the "right brain" -[emotional side] makes up its mind which phone it wants, the "left brain" [analytical, logical side] will rationalize VERY WELL the decision). :)

Upvote 0
I've found the stock Exchange sync in Droid 2 to be excellent. Calendar, Contacts and Email all fully synced with my desktop at work. As stated above, I think the rest of your requirements are all there. I bought the D2 because of the keyboard, which I like a lot. The X is more or less the same phone without a keyboard and with a bigger screen. My dad has one, and I played around with it. It's great too. I wouldn't recommend the Fascinate, just because I've heard lots of bad stuff about Samsung, and then there's the "Bing thing". A lot of people swear by the Inc, so I'm sure you won't go wrong there.

That said, if I was in the market, I would wait for a moment. All of those phones are "so 2010", and there are lots more coming down the pipe!

Upvote 0
Well I thought Id bring this same question up ...I have a Droid Eris and Im eligable for my new every 2 year upgrade...I am looking hard at the Thunderbolt.....but see some issues with it....I really am concerned about the comments about lack of quality in the phone. i never rooted my Eris probably should have....I use it for work but use a few apps like google navigation, work email, google sky ....police scanner app...I also saw some complaints about the screen on the thunderbolt as being average quality or below

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones