• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

which verizon android phone?

MonmouthDroid

Nov 9, 2009
I have an original Droid that I got on launch day. I love it but it is breaking (I am hard on things). I a going to use my 1 year upgrade to upgrade to a new phone and I know I want another android phone. The choices are the fascinate, Droid x, Droid Inc, or Droid 2. Which would you do? They all have pluses and minuses.

Fascinate:
Pros: screen size (not too big or too small), I like touchwiz, hummingbird, looks, camera
Cons: Bing (if it had Google I would have no question I wanted it)
Droid X:
Pros: big screen, power, camera
Cons: huge size, style, not crazy about not-moto blur U.I.

Droid 2:
Pros: overall size, power
Cons: U.I., small screen
Neutral, but worth thought: keyboard. I do use the one on my droid some, and the droid 2's is way better. But it is the slide mechanism that is breaking and causing my need for a new phone

Droid incredible
Pros: overall size, sense ui (I like it almost as much as touchwiz)
Cons: small screen, processor (I like the T.I. and the hummingbird better than the snapdragon)

The ui is a big consideration for me. If it weren't for the ui on the x and 2 the inc wouldn't be on the list. If the fascinate didn't have bing, there would be no list. I think that the top two are the fascinate then the x. But the bing on the fascinate and the ui of the x have me thinking incredible. Then I go and type a thread like this and have to switch to my physical keyboard from my on screen, and the droid 2 suddenly seems like a good idea.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Does the Fascinate's GPS work fine? If so, that would probably be the best phone.

As far as setting Google as default, best way would probably be through root and custom firmware or you can do all this- Get Google back on the Samsung Fascinate for free and without rooting | Android Central

If not Fascinate, Droid or Droid X are probably the best alternate options (mainly due to CPU/GPU benchmarks). Unless you plan on rooting (and installing custom firmware) then Incredible would be the better option.

As far as MOTOBLUR UI goes, install something like LauncherPro.

Conclusion:
If Fascinate GPS works fine and you plan on installing a custom ROM- Fascinate
If Fascinate GPS works fine and you are willing to take extra steps for Google apps- Fascinate
If Fascinate GPS works fine but you are not willing to take the extra steps- assume GPS does not work fine
If Fascinate GPS does not work fine and you plan on installing a custom ROM- Incredible
If Fascinate GPS does not work fine and you have zero intentions to install a custom ROM- Droid 2 or Droid X.

Upvote 0
Reading up a bit, looks like SGS GPS problems also found on Fascinate. Samsung claims these problems will be fixed when 2.2 arrives. If I were you, I would wait until Samsung updates the Fascinate to 2.2 to see whether or not this is fixed (who knows, maybe by then another phone comes into the mix, there was an Evo clone rumored, hopefully that has the next gen Qualcomm chip which compares to Hummingbird on graphics benchmarks).

Upvote 0
I went to the store and played with them all and there was no clear winner. I think I'll see what the fascinate's 2.2 update brings (I heard rumor of google voice search). I have no problem rooting, my droid is rooted. As far as custom roms, I have tried most of them and after 8 months of using them I switched back to stock 2.2 plus root (for oc and wifi tether) because that was the smoothest and most stable for me.

Upvote 0
I went to the store and played with them all and there was no clear winner. I think I'll see what the fascinate's 2.2 update brings (I heard rumor of google voice search). I have no problem rooting, my droid is rooted. As far as custom roms, I have tried most of them and after 8 months of using them I switched back to stock 2.2 plus root (for oc and wifi tether) because that was the smoothest and most stable for me.
Remember the Phones in the store have been loaded with tons of apps and other crap, and the hard keys on the phones might have also been messed up because of so much pressing them. So what you say in store isn't exactly what you will get out of the box, personally i got a high speed monster after about 2 days of getting my Droid X.

Upvote 0
My main dislikes about the x were size of the phone, looks, and user interface. All the phones were very snappy performance wise. The d2 was too small of a screen (I'd like a bigger one. 4" is the sweet spot IMO) and crappy ui. The Inc was screen and that of is a snapdragon (based on research, not in store performance) they are all great phones. Its kinda like picking which super model to date, ya there are differences, but no matter which choice you make, you're still dating a super model!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones