1. Tablet future looks bright! Read more about: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    New Forums: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    Dismiss Notice

Which video format /recoder to use?

Last Updated:

1. atek3

atek3 Well-Known Member

Hi, I was using Cucusoft ipod video converter to recode my divx and wmv movies to 320x240 using the H.264 codec... so they would be playable on my ipod nano. Does anyone know the best combination of codec, recoding software, and settings (res, etc), to use for the G1? I downloaded "video player" but I haven't played with it yet.

thanks,
    atek3

Advertisement
  2. krstofer

krstofer Well-Known Member

If you look at the description in the market place of the video player it will tell you the format. It is very specific and I hope someone releases a divx codec for the phone. I've got tons of divx video that I would like to watch on my phone.
  3. Durf

Durf Well-Known Member

I found the video player in the marketplace to be a little buggy. I converted about 10 videos all the same. 3 of them played right the first time then 1 of tose never played again and a couple others began working.
    BTW I use handbrake or Toast 9 to convert (I'm on my mac usually).
  4. frenchy128

frenchy128 Member

I'm currently using Xilisoft Video Converter 3.1.52 to convert/encode my videos.

Steps I took:
    - ICrap mpeg-4 profile picked
    - Customized "Bit Rate" from 1200 to 512
    - Customized Audio settings "Bit Rate" from 80 to 96
    - Saved the profile as "HTC Dream mpeg-4"

I use the default media player integrated with the phone. I use "AndExplorer" (andriodapps) to browse to my sdcard, and launch the video file.

Hope this helps someone.
    Frenchy

Rogers - HTC Dream (Cupcake 1.5) - EDGE 2.5G
  5. Yurijosh

Yurijosh New Member

Hi,

i want to buy a high quality video player.i seen some players in the market... it was funny .... for the first time it works correctly..for the second time.. is was started stucking....

can anyone suggest me to buy a good video player..

microstock sites
  6. -Jester-

-Jester- Member

I use 'Meridian' to view my movies and play music. In the FAQ it directed me to an Windows App called 'Super', which seems to be able to convert almost anything to anything. I used it to convert Divx to MP4 and that plays fine on the phone.

:)
  7. skepian

skepian New Member

i use Vegas Pro 9.0

Render As...

MainConcept AVC/AAC (*.mp4)

Custom template...

and !!IT'S IMPORTANT!! change 640*480 to 480*352
    bigger resolution doesn't playing...

Constant bit rate 192 000

Audio:
    Sample rate 48 000
    Bit Rate 96 000

try another but i think the most important is 480*352 video resolution.

result is MUCH better than frenchy128's method with xilisoft program.

sory for bad english
    Hope my post helps someone too.
  8. Wow, thanks for resurrecting this old thread to post that. As if people didnt already know that....
  9. Shantell83

Shantell83 New Member

Anyone know how to convert protected .m4v files? I just want to put tv shows on my LG Optimus phone. I've seen some that cost alot. I need a freeware software. I don't have a credit card or anything to pay for this software. Please Help....
  10. By protected, do you mean DRM? If so, we cant tell you here. It's not exactly legal to do that. But I'm sure Google can help you find out how.
  11. happyemily

happyemily New Member

usually, G1 supports H.263, H.264 AVC, MPEG-4 SP video format, among them, i consider MPEG-4 as the best

i use tatal video converter to convert various video format to G1 compatible MPEG-4

as for setting, you can set your preferable one according to the setting function of this software

the following is a step by step guide on how to convert video to android phone like G1, Samsung, HTC Hero, HTC Legend, HTC Desire HD, HTC Wildfire, Motorola Droid, Motorola Flipout, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, LG

Android Converter: Android Converter - Convert video to Android Phone Format
  12. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

LOL. You have just answered a 2.5 year old post...:D

Anyway, your recommendation to go for a ******** video converter (costs $35...) is like an advertising to my ears... Why? Because everything that software can do, can also be done with free video converters.

Besides, most of the modern phones don't need videos to be converted (depending of course the source). You can have videos in divx/Xvid/H264/avi/mkv etc formats, and still be able to play with the "universal" video players (like RockPlayer).
  13. nicejane

nicejane New Member

it sound interesting, while what if i want to play avchd, mkv on my android?
    in this situation this guide is useful http://www.********.com/articles/how-to-convert-video-to-android-phone-format.html
    i have tried some free video converter, but it either not working or with poor output video quality

i have tried the free version of ******** total video converter and it make me decide to buy one with the following reason
    would you like to see if it is worth to buy the full version with those reason, or could you recommend me some better one

reason 1 Optimized by NVIDIA
  14. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

I would even go as far as to state that any paid video converter for the smartphones is a rip-off....
    Commercial companies try to seduce customers with all kinds of features trying to combine in one package, but this hardly results in a well built software. Usually, each piece of software is built to be good in certain tasks, so it is good to get separate software for ripping, converting and editing.

There is a limitation to the smartphone power at this moment, so making a very complex encoding and large files for a phone (such as AVCHD) is simply waste of time - a) you phone can't play it anyway, b) the small display will not allow you to enjoy the HD resolution video.
    By the way, Phones can play MKV (and many other container formats) videos using a so called all-round players (like RockPlayer).

Brucew0617 likes this.
  15. Can't agree with you more! Whatever, I think the cost of a video player app is much cheaper than a video converter.

Unless somebody, just like as me, just want to watch video with hardware recoding, I will use a video converter. But I can find a free MP4 Converter in anywhere. Some MP4 Converters work great like as ***** Free MP4 Converter, Handbrake or Format Factory.

Just pay attention to resolution and code, most of android mobile phones are mighty in media playing. Right?
    Anfans likes this.
  16. starjack

starjack Member

really great post, thanks for sharing, i like this forum so much
  17. August2011

August2011 Member

I using Enolsoft video converter. It able to convert M4V files and convert all videos between various formats. But not free, I take $35.00. No bad on the whole......
  18. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

Have you looked at MoboPlayer or VitalPlayer (both are free)?
  19. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

Yes, they are universal format players.
  20. starjack

starjack Member

i could't agree with more, the video quality is really important, and also the conversion speed also important
  21. virtuousbaby

virtuousbaby New Member

it helps me a lot, tks for sharing
  22. boygirlnew

boygirlnew New Member

why convert? how wonderful if there is a universal built in video player