• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which web browser?

JDY

Oct 25, 2011
England
I'm been using dolphin for a while its; pretty quick the the tabs are easy to navigate but I do have a feeling it crashes my phone quite a lot and causes restarts, I use opera mini for when I'm on gprs/edge and just had a look at opera 12 which is really quick but some pages it seems to load very basic web sites like the google page for example looks like the WAP version rather than the standard mobile one.

So any suggestions for the best browser out there?
O and btw I'm on dGB.

Opera loading "basic" pages might be fixable with settings. Does it let you change the "user agent"? If so, set it to report itself as a computer rather than a phone and you won't get the mobile versions of sites.

I've actually been using the Boat browser for some time now (tabbed browser, nice interface, less green than Dolphin :)). Still have Dolphin Mini on the phone, but rarely use it. Actually the stock android (not HTC) browser works perfectly well - I used that as my main browser for a long time.

Upvote 0
Boat browser looks nice, might have a look. I find stock fine, I just got use to the tabs at the top. Have a look at the screen shots attached, that is what i mean with it not loading full mobile pages...
My internet speed isn't the greatest about 2Mb/s Down so that might make browsing a little slower but i doubt it.

Attachments

• normal.png
    normal.png
    18 KB · Views: 35
  • opera.png
    opera.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 0
Boat browser looks nice, might have a look. I find stock fine, I just got use to the tabs at the top. Have a look at the screen shots attached, that is what i mean with it not loading full mobile pages...
I just installed Opera Mobile to check, and out of the box I got the same as you for google.co.uk. Then I changed the user agent from mobile to desktop and reloaded:

screenshot-1330371326985.png

So in desktop mode it works fine, but in mobile mode it's inferior to the mobile view on the stock browser.

Upvote 0
Trying out dolphin HD, and so far happy. You can add a tool to switch between desktop and mobile with a single click, and also apply a blue theme which goes well with the mildwild rom I'm currently running. Goodbye green :(.
It seems fast and responsive - maybe a bit too responsive as it is too easy to bring up the sidebars. There are a lot of options though, and not explored them all yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones