• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WHICH Yahoo IMAP settings to use??

scudder

Android Expert
May 21, 2010
State of Confusion (FL too)
Hello...

I was wondering what the consensus on WHICH IMAP server settings to use for Yahoo "regular" (non-"Plus") email accounts?? I have tried the following THREE IMAP server settings and ALL worked but was wondering what the different is/preferred one is/reason is for one over the other??

I am using K-9 Mail. Here are the two settings I have used. I MANUALLY entered (3) below and when I had K-9 automatically do what it does when it "sees" a Yahoo address, I got (2) below. I can't quite tell the difference nor do I know what the difference is:

(1)
Incoming Settings
IMAP Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 993
Security Type: SSL

Outgoing Settings
SMTP Server: smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 465
Security Type: SSL (Accept all certificates)

(2)
Only difference with (1) above is Security Type and Port:
Incoming Settings
IMAP Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 143
Security Type: TSL

Outgoing Settings
SMTP Server: smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 25
Security Type: TSL

(3)

Only difference with (1) above is the addition of "android" in front of the server and removal of "mobile" for the SMTP server:
Incoming Settings
IMAP Server: android.imap.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 993
Security Type: SSL

Outgoing Settings
SMTP Server: android.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 465
Security Type: SSL (Accept all certificates)

So what is recommended?? What's the difference??

THANKS!!

Scott

I am using k9 for my gmail and yahoo mail app for my yahoo mail. does k9 check mail the same as the yahoo app? It seems that k9 needs to be set for a time to check your email for a yahoo account but when checking gmail it comes thru as soon as the email hits the server. the yahoo app does the same with yahoo mail. my question is will k9 do the same with yahoo mail? did i not set it up correctly or do you just set it to check at 5 min interval and deal with that?
thanks

Upvote 0
I am using k9 for my gmail and yahoo mail app for my yahoo mail. does k9 check mail the same as the yahoo app? It seems that k9 needs to be set for a time to check your email for a yahoo account but when checking gmail it comes thru as soon as the email hits the server. the yahoo app does the same with yahoo mail. my question is will k9 do the same with yahoo mail? did i not set it up correctly or do you just set it to check at 5 min interval and deal with that?
thanks

I am juuuuuust getting familiar with the app and there is SOOOO MUCH crap that you can adjust but here goes. Hope you can follow me!!

I believe the Gmail might have a "push" feature or a low-value email check to alert you of new mail but, to be honest, I don't use gmail but for my Contact and Calendar backup. HOWEVER, you can change the frequency of YAHOO mail checked with K-9 to as often as once per minute..not quite "push" but VERY frequent...frequent enough!!

The setting is CONFUSING because it is not called "how often to check mail" it is called **POLLING**. So if you are creating a new account and adding your email information, I BELIEVE, at some point, it asked you about "polling frequency" and it is THERE that you can choose anything from EVERY MINUTE to once a day.

You can STILL CHANGE the "polling" setting after you creating an account here is how:

You adjust the frequency SEPARATELY for each email account. For my often used account, I have every 10 minutes. For my infrequently used account, once every couple hours. Anyway, here's how:

1. Open your email to see the messages in your Inbox or whatever folder in an email account

2. Hit Menu-->More-->Settings-->Account Settings. You are not in your settings for that SPECIFIC email account

3. Scroll down in the prefs to the "Syncing Folders" section and hit "Folder poll check frequency" and choose your time!!

4. You have to do this separately for EACH of your email accounts. I have FIVE accounts in K-9, had to set the polling FIVE different times.

It is QUITE a pain in the ass to navigate through allllll those screens to get where you want but you'll get used to it.

Let me know if you were able to find what you needed!!

Scott

Upvote 0
thanks scott. i actually know about the polling and setting it up, i was wondering if the 1 minute polling will draw alot more battery then the yahoo app that gets your email the second it hits. i guess i will have to try. although i am comfortable using k9 for my gmail and yahoo mail for my yahoo. it would be great if they both had cut and paste though. thanks again

Upvote 0
thanks scott. i actually know about the polling and setting it up, i was wondering if the 1 minute polling will draw alot more battery then the yahoo app that gets your email the second it hits. i guess i will have to try. although i am comfortable using k9 for my gmail and yahoo mail for my yahoo. it would be great if they both had cut and paste though. thanks again

Cut and paste..interesting, I didn't realize that!! Only had K9 installed for a couple days and have only mostly "read" rather than do any other functions...thanks for the heads up.

Upvote 0
Scott,

Did you find the answer to your original question about what the diference between all those settings is? I'm trying to figure that out myself. Thanks!

Nope...never did get an answer. :thinking: I'm hoping my reply here will BUMP this up to a recent post listing in the forums.

So...to ask again...can someone look at my ORIGINAL post up top and direct us which IMAP server is preferred and why?? THANKS!

Upvote 0
Nope...never did get an answer. :thinking: I'm hoping my reply here will BUMP this up to a recent post listing in the forums.

So...to ask again...can someone look at my ORIGINAL post up top and direct us which IMAP server is preferred and why?? THANKS!

Bumping up my post...still looking for an answer to my ORIGINAL question up top... :thinking:

THANKS!

Upvote 0
Bumping up my post...still looking for an answer to my ORIGINAL question up top... :thinking:

THANKS!

So I have NEVER gotten the answer to my original question above since AUGUST :(

Anyway, I have another issue that has come up and is related... :thinking:

I was using "settings (1) above" without any problems (but also without any recommendations I was asking for back in August). Recently (past week) I have NOT been able to send email from my Yahoo account with the (1) settings above. The error I get is the inability to connect with the SMTP server.

I was going to try to troubleshoot and see if another setting might work, however, I am renewing my request for recommendations on on the BEST server/settings for my yahoo account and any answer as to WHY my settings (1) above has suddenly stopped sending mail after working for almost 5 months?:thinking:

By the way, I my Bellsouth.net account here (through AT&T) is also administered online through yahoo. I have NO PROBLEMS with that email setting/servers as I am using smtp.att.yahoo.com. I am having a problem with my "regular, online yahoo accont" NOT the one I have associated with Bellsouth and AT&T. I am NOT using the smtp.att.yahoo.com with my "regular" yahoo account because my Bellsouth account is POP and my regular yahoo account is IMAP. I do NOT sync my email for my Bellsouth account with K-9 but I DO sync my email with my yahoo IMAP account and THAT is the one I am trying to fix here.

THANKS!!

Upvote 0
I haven't tried #1.

#2 I used but with security none and outgoing port 587 this would only connect over 3g. over wifi I would get log in failed.

just found #3 today from another thread and so far it is working great for me.

Well, just tried #3 above on your recommendation and seems to be fine for me as well. Thanks for taking the time to commend and recommend!:D

Upvote 0
I use slightly different setting and it gets my Mail Folders, which I need. I don't use the mobile or android servers at all. I also have a bizmail account. I document it all on a YouTube Tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OMzXS9RR-A

Okay, your original question is just a matter of naming convention for mail servers and load balancing for Yahoo. IMAP is a protocol as is SMTP, and the various ports allow for data flow in specific manner.

Upvote 0
Okay, your original question is just a matter of naming convention for mail servers and load balancing for Yahoo. IMAP is a protocol as is SMTP, and the various ports allow for data flow in specific manner.

Thanks for the settings video...I've copied them down as an alternative should it be needed.

I understand about IMAP and SMTP simply being protocols, however, I heard some people having problems with certain settings...some intermittent, some constant. For me, the setting (2) above that I was using was working FINE for MONTHS. Then couldn't send email. I didn't stick with it long enough to see if the issue would resolve itself and went with my option (3) above.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones