White EVO, paint scratching off around USB port...

Last Updated:

1. JL44516

JL44516 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

hey everyone...i dont know if any of you remember but i went crazy trying to find a white evo over the past few months...to make a long story short i found one when sprint released the white ones as well as best buy re-released them after they were supposedly "discontinued"...

so now i have had my white evo for a little while and i love it. however there is something that is really starting to bother me with it...

whenever i go to charge my phone if i dont place the plug perfectly in the charging port the plug will scratch around inside the port and it will scratch the white paint off leaving all red marks in the port...the reason i am so bothered by this is because the black ones dont do this...i know this may sound crazy but it just bothers me because i love the phone and i went on a goose chase to get it... the reason i am making this thread is because i have never heard anyone else report anything like this...so my question is am i the only one who has this problem? thanks alot...

Advertisement
  2. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

seems anyone who haphazardly inserts the tip into the port can have the same issue. seems the solution would be to take your time, lining up the tip properly with the usb port.

momoceio likes this.
  3. dricky

dricky Active Member

I've had my white Evo for about 2 weeks and I personally just stick it in and if it doesn't fit I just move it around in their until it fits or just flip it over in case I put it in wrong. (Damn that sounds dirty) With all the wiggling and flipping I do I have yet to have the issue you do.

4. Stang70Fastback

Stang70Fastback Well-Known Member

I have the same issue. It's happening around the headphone jack too...

5. The Batman

The Batman Active Member

I also have the white Evo, but haven't scratched it..yet. but what did other me was when you look at the battery cover and compare it to the white on the phone itself., you can see that the red seems to "bleed" through a little bit.

When I noticed this, I knew right away that there was potential for easy scathing to occur.

So now i have to be extremely careful when i charge the phone or lay it down.

Thinking about ordering the Phantomskinz white carbon fiber protective skin for the phone. This is because the skin covers the battery cover, the white and black sides on the phone. And the akin also comes with a screen cover as well.

6. superflex

superflex Member

The white is not paint. It's injection molded plastic and the white color is throughout the entire piece of plastic. There's no way you could scratch the white plastic and remove the color. Same goes for the battery door.
    Perhaps you are rubbing black plastic from your micro usb cable on your charging port.
    This post is right up there with the white evo being discontinued or white evos overheating. Pure BS.

7. Stang70Fastback

On the battery door, yes. On the phone itself (ports) however, it is possible to scratch through to the red.

8. atexanone

atexanone Member

I don't have this problem with scratching but are the white evos all white? I just got mine a few weeks ago and it is black on the front white on the back with red accents around the camera lens and behind the stand.

9. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

The issue probably lies within the making of the phone. The black ones seems to be black plastic around the port whereas the white ones seem to have been painted. I am guessing this has something to do with color matching all of the plastic. Kind of sucks that it is that way. This would be driving me crazy too. I am happy I went with a black one now, even though I did have the choice of white.

10. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

The glass front is going to be black on both (kind of like the black versus white iphone 3G and 3GS and NOT like the black versus white iPhone 4). Those red accents around the camera and under the kickstand are also what you should see on a white evo.

atexanone likes this.
  11. IgnatiusTheKing

IgnatiusTheKing Well-Known Member

No offense, but this seems like strange advice. The phone shouldn't be so fragile that brushing the charging cable against it causes the color to come off, should it?

Now I will say that I have the black EVO and haven't noticed any scratching (and certainly no "paint" removal) despite my regular, haphazard insertion of the cable into the port.

12. alxrock

alxrock Member

My wife has the white Evo (I got black) one solution would be to just scrape off all the white on the border and then it'll be black/red/white.

13. AyeAyeCapn

AyeAyeCapn Member

you can always stop missing the port

14. Stang70Fastback

Trust me, I am a neat FREAK, but so far this issue is not nearly bad enough to annoy me. I still love my white EVO, which looks so much better than all of your black pieces of crap :p

15. shuiheart

shuiheart Member

I have a black one and have the same issue. There are little bits of red showing around the charging port, primarily on the edges. If you feel around the outside of the port, it has a rubbery feel, but the inside of the port, before the metal part doesn't seem so rubbery.

I noticed it a while ago, but it doesn't bug me.

16. Jceinc

Jceinc Well-Known Member

I always miss the hole .... mines fine

17. Cares

Cares Well-Known Member

Is your wife fine with that? :p

Anyways, no issues with my paint coming off yet around either the headphone or charging areas. I can see where it becomes an issue though because the white coat looks thins with red showing through.

18. JL44516

JL44516 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

is this still a problem or did htc fix this yet?

19. PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair Well-Known Member

I have the same problem - top and bottom and I am very careful (in fact I seldom use the headphone jack) and it is still occurring to me. Disappointing thing for a great phone. Taking mine in sometime this week to see what Sprint says.

20. _Epic

_Epic Well-Known Member

Sprint will just say they can't fix it due to it being cosmetic. I have customers come in all the time because of this issue and sadly I can't fix it.

PapaNoHair likes this.
  21. ndh777

ndh777 Well-Known Member

The paint is also scratching off of the charging port on my Evo black edition. The reason being that you continuously take out and put back in your charger/USB cords that are constantly running along the paint which scratch it. It's just normal for all of our devices.

I actually saw one guy purposefully remove his outer black edges to reveal a cool red line that surrounded his battery cover.

22. Halfbaked

Halfbaked Banned

And people are asking for white EVO 3Ds. No way HTC, don't do white. Be different than Apple. For those of you wanting a white EVO, get the white Innocase ll or Active case from Seidio. The cases look amazing on the Black EVO in white color.

23. jkd12589

jkd12589 Active Member

My paint was actually cracking and then a big chunk of the white part just came off. U can see into the phone now. It is a also a remanufactured one from assurion. And of coarse. It's not covered. Also paint coming off the left side from it sitting on the kickstand.

24. ironman187

ironman187 Well-Known Member

ARGH!!! My black Evo 4G, which I have only had for a week, already has a chip right by the charge port, the black phones are also red under the paint!:mad:

25. 2ndaccord

2ndaccord Well-Known Member

I have a chunk of white missing from under the hdmi port. Funny thing is that I never use the hdmi port.