White Heros...Are they getting dirty?

Last Updated:

1. alexthearmo

alexthearmo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone with a white Hero: Is it staying clean? Is the teflon working? or do they start to look grubby/dirty/gross?

I've heard about people picking up colors from other sources (ie: newspaper ink, etc). Anyone have any of these issues?

Thanks in advance!!

-alex

Advertisement
  2. cwrig

cwrig Well-Known Member

Ive only had mine for a day, so I really cant say.

I will say its slippier than I would like. I would prefer a rubberized or textured back.

3. alexthearmo

Ok...thanks cwrig. After some use, if you could come back and let us know, that would be awesome! Thanks!

-alex

4. tragicheart

tragicheart Active Member

ive had mine for about 2 weeks . its surprisingly clean at least for me . teflon still looks as new as it day it came out of the box

5. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Member

I've been with my lovely Hero for 1 1/2 month now.

I had my Hero without a case for almost a month, I never experienced visible finger prints and getting faded/colours - maybe because I'm always overprotected with my mobile gadgets? :p

The Teflon looks and feels nice (seriously it does). My mates first impression was "Wow it feels nice" they were rubbing their fingers all over the place and never got dirtied.

My only problem now is when I have my case on, dust and such get stuck inside! But I can deal with it. :p

Hope this helps.

6. prepbgg

prepbgg Well-Known Member

Seems fine to me. Clean after ten days. Not slippery.

7. Jseven

Jseven Member

Teflon is great. I have a job where my hands come into contact with very staining centric materials (coffee/sauces/grease/cleaning acids/sugars/syrups/etc). Not going to say that I do not take very good care of my belongings, but it looks and works perfect. White after 4 days and some BBQ sauce hehe.

8. Hellplant

Hellplant New Member

I've had mine for almost a month and it's as white as ever. Some very small scratches on the back but I have two boys at ages ~2 and ~4 and they are quite curious :)

9. BandedHawk

BandedHawk Member

Mine remained pretty clean for the two weeks I first had it. Since then, I've got a gel case to protect it from drops so that keeps it relatively clean.

The only thing that needs the occasional wipe down is the screen, even with the special "coating" it still picks up fingerprints. :)

10. alexthearmo

thanks guys for all the answers! if anyone else has a white hero...let us know how yours is holding up.

I am pretty sure i wanna get the white one, but I wanna hear a couple more opinions first.

11. rdelfin

rdelfin Well-Known Member

You know what Alex, I had the very same concern before getting mine, and for the first time I decided to NOT make the atrocity of "dressing" my device with a case/protector/holster because I truly believe this would subtract from the experience (granted, I live terrified of dropping it accidentally).

And to my surprise, the device manages to not get dirty aside from the usual wiping just to keep it pristine. I have had it for a 1.5 months now. Of course after one year, I'm sure it will not look as it did on day 1 (and to think otherwise would be na

12. alexthearmo

hey rdelfin...im thinking of getting the GSM version and staying with T-mobile, because they are so professional and always treat me so well. I know they don't have the greatest coverage in the world, but I'm not sure what Sprint's coverage is like and i've heard horror stories about their billing practices and costumer service. Sticking with T-mob sounds like the wise thing to do even tho I wont have the benefits of having a network phone (insurance, easy updates, etc). Oh well.

Glad to hear that the white ones stay nice. :)

13. rdelfin

Not to make things harder with your decision, but you now have to take into consideration Sprint has announced a new unlimmited plan for $70/mo. (so no billing surprises there), not sure how that would affect your decision, but thought it would be good for you to know (along with the fact that you'd have 3G).

14. alexthearmo

rdelfin...i heard about the sprint unlimited mobile to mobile. So...still not sure what to do. I know sprint charges for roaming...so that sucks...cuz it looks like during travel you are often on roaming (if you have sprint). Im also not sure what their coverage is like and have heard that the CDMA signal doesn't penetrate into buildings or houses. Also...if I have 3G the battery life will be pretty crappy...where as EDGE will have me lasting at least a day or two. The new form factor isn't as cool as the one with the chin. It's not ugly either, but it's not that original. Still trying to decide.

Anyone have any thoughts that might help?

15. BandedHawk

BandedHawk Member

My boss likes the feel of my HTC versus the iPhone - it feels like a phone he says. I've also heard that the iPhone sort of shape feels akin to handling a bar of soap. I think the Sprint version looks ok, but it's not as distinctive as the European styling. But it's nothing but styling and the North American 3G that is the difference.

16. alexthearmo

ya...you're right, but I don't have internet on my phone right now. I don't plan on using it for heavy data/internet browsing. If MAPS will function along with google sync, calender, gmail, then I'm happy. If I wanna browse the web I'm almost always near a computer...so I dunno. I think EDGE should be fine. Do you think EDGE would work for turn by turn GPS?

17. BandedHawk

BandedHawk Member

I used it for a trip back from camping and the google maps worked ok - it only downloads a new map when you move towards a map boundary (a basic tile sort of layout) so the downloads aren't every point update. It can take 5 seconds or so to download the new map - depending on signal. I'd probably suggest CoPilot Live 8 for real GPS work with turn announcements. The maps are stored on the phone so you don't have to be able to access the cellphone network for the app to work.

18. alexthearmo

great! Thanks for all the info.

Now to the others who have yet to answer: HOW ARE YOUR WHITE HEROS HOLDING UP?? Let us know!

-alex

19. SeanyF

SeanyF New Member

Had mine since early August - still pristine :D

20. Jammin

Jammin New Member

Had my white one for a couple of weeks and it still looks like new. I'm not all that careful with it either! And like some others, I refuse to get a gel case as it is a beautiful device and I want to appreciate its full beauty whenever I use it. Will probably regret it when I inevitably drop it though!

21. rdelfin

Another thing of buying Copilot from the Android Market is that since maps are stored locally, there's no need for cellular data connection, the phone only uses the gps antenna and it sure does the job of a turn-by-turn voice gps device without worrying of data caps being surpassed.

22. trykamil

trykamil New Member

Sprint doesn't charge for roaming. Roaming is free however it uses up your minutes. And I would say Sprints coverage is better than T-Mobile however it really depends on where you live. Their data network is however a lot better than T-Mobile's. And CDMA devices work just fine in buildings. I've actually had better reception on CDMA networks (both verizon and sprint) in buildings than my friends who are on GSM. Again this is also dependent on where you live I guess(NYC here). Coverage varies by location. I actually like the look of GSM Hero better aswell but would not want to give up 3G, plus Sprints cheap plans make it a definite win.

23. alexthearmo

Anyone else? how are your white Hero's holding up?

24. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

LOL actually ROTFLMAO ... i would think you have enough "CLEAN" reports ... Have not seen one "Dirty" white post ...

I hope you are not as picky with research on the OS for any of these phone ... or you will never buy one...

Two Cans, two buttons, and string Phone ... ???
    are your cans rusting?
    buttons cracking ??
    string knots?

Just jerking you a bit ... hope you just get a Black phone where dirt doesn't show ... but the all show finger-prints ...
    so not an out if you loose it while committing a crime...

Good luck in your selection process ...

Oopps forgot what about phone condoms ?

25. revel

revel Well-Known Member

Had mine now for 5 weeks still clean and fresh.