White Widow Consolidated Thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. ColonelPanic

ColonelPanic Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have been following this ROM ever since it popped up. I am a giant fan of this ROM. I thought it may be a good idea to get a single thread started to discuss things related to WW.

Long story short, I PM'd andrizoid to get his blessing and decided to throw up a thread. Let's all try and post here and that way we will have the best chance of helping everyone who wants to try it out. So........

For now WW lives here but be on the look out for a new site soon.

Post here for help and to comment with any tips, bugs and resolutions you may find.

White Widow ~clean~ 4.4 (Most Stable & Hush up)
    Features of 4.1
    AOSP Rom-Totally Vanilla!
    Overclocking up to 864Mhz
    Wifi
    Working Touchscreen
    Supports full 360o roatation
    Softkey lights
    Metamorph Themes supported
    MMS works with ivans-apn and Handcent-preinstalled
    Cyanogen 5.0.8-DS-test4 commits
    5MP Camera
    Working Video Recorder
    Rotary Lockscreen
    Working GPS
    Newest Google Apps Package provided below-includes Navigator and Car Home!- Must install apps package separately !! See post 2
    Nexus One Bootanimation
    Optional IClovecrfieldsnstalls Package
    Baked in Spare Parts
    Baked in ADW Launcher
    Working Facebook Sync
    Verizon apps working!
    Apps2SD baked in under Settings>Applications
    Applications included in the ROM
    Quick Boot
    Root Explorer-Buy the donate version and support the dev!
    Terminal
    Wifi Tethering
    Youtube HD
    Handcent SMS
    Autokiller
    Both 2D and 3D Galleries
    Metamorph-Buy the donate version and support the dev!
    News and Weather Genie

Optional Installs
    Lookout Mobile Security
    HTC_IME modded keyboard from xda
    Swype-expired :(
    Open GL Patch provided by Jcase-copied directly to your SD for easy flashing

New site coming soon !

And now for the goodness that is 4.4 WW ~clean~

WhiteWidow 4.4~Clean~ -same as 4.3, just w/o google and paid apps

[LINK REMOVED]

Touchscreen fix

WW_TSFix

Google Apps

GooglyBits

There you have it. So fresh......So Clean........

Advertisement
  2. ColonelPanic

Fixes.

If you need to run OTA programming and are getting stuck at the activation screen where you are unable to bring up the dial pad give this a try.

Bring up your dialer and enter: *228
    Hit the menu key and select: Add Wait
    This will place a semicolon after the *228
    Now enter your needed option, 1 or 2, after the semicolon and hit send.
    A dialog box will appear asking "Send the following tone ?" and have the number listed that you have chosen. The call will, however, proceed in the background.

You will hear the recording begin. Wait until you are prompted to enter a number and hit OK on the dialog box. That will get the programming going.

According to the dev this is related to the CM commits and cannot be changed at this time.

Let us know if that didn't work for you.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For both the Google Apps and Touchscreen fix. Just copy to your SD and flash like you would a ROM.

3. ColonelPanic

<Reserved2>

4. tonyb81

tonyb81 Well-Known Member

<Reserved3>

5. ColonelPanic

In case we needed room.......

6. ColonelPanic

Credit goes to conap @ xda !

Tested and working for me.

Just copy to sd and flash from recovery.

Attached Files:

7. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

As posted in the old thread, a bit off topic there, I'm having problems getting 4.1 installed.

I downloaded another zip from the site linked by CP there.. but had only minor improvement up to the point of the touch screen not working.

Next step? (with great appreciation for any help)..

8. ColonelPanic

Patches and Extras

9. abn75

abn75 Well-Known Member

From your post of those "included" items, I see he is still putting apps in the rom that shouldnt be. Google apps and SetCPU just to name two.

10. es0tericcha0s

es0tericcha0s Well-Known Member

You're going to need to send Andrizoid a request for the touchscreen fix. I did have it on my SD card but I didn't have that issue so I already deleted it. It was on the original Google Wave post but something happened to it, which is why he moved to his own site.

PS. Just thought of something, sometimes if you just wipe everything and reinstall problems get fixed (magically, I'm sure).

11. tonyb81

Just curious as to why this ROM has free apps that are noted "buy the donate version and support the dev". If you want to support the developer of a paid app, why include it in your ROM for free?

12. Frisco

Thanks for the link to the touch screen fix; it worked and I was able to successfully flash/install White Widow 4.1.

After playing around and tweaking it for about half an hour or so, I found it not to my taste.

A few bugs (a bit of duplication in some of the menus, showing two of one item.. also, in "manage applications" not of the applications would load in there; it remained blank after the small "busy" animation in the top bar stopped and vanished), but even without the bugs I had the feeling it just did not stand up to my Senseable 3.1.

It seemed comparable speed-wise.. but, I couldn't wait to get back to the one I like.

I'm not sure if I'm going to install any more of these; I just can't find a reason to get away from the one I happened on to right after trying EE3 for a while.

I have a lot of appreciation for all of the help I've received about WW. Thanks again!

13. Frisco

I guess it would be dishonest of me to leave out one note, in addition to my above post: I did feel a bit "spammed" using that ROM; there are ads for donations here and there.. I don't know.. I'd not seen that before, but I've only tried four ROMS now.

Donations are voluntary and in my opinion have no place in the actual device I'm using and as a part of the user experience; it should be at a website, not in my phone's menus, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[EDIT] The above post leaves the wrong impression, one that makes it appear as if the ROM developer, andrizoid, placed ads in the menus of this WW 4.1 ROM. I don't believe that he did that. There is an animated ad in the ADW utility, a menu tree, that I was in and out of multiple times as I configured and tweaked things.. as I moved away from keeping the ROM on my device for very long, restored my default ROM, I did not take notes of where I saw the ads.

Therefor I wanted to clear this up; andrizoid and others who make these rooted ROMS are too much appreciated for somebody to come along and give the wrong impression.

14. Frisco

Thank you for the suggestion, but I use the XDA forums, and these forums, as points of technical information, as well as links for ROMS, etc. (and maybe kidding around from time to time).

I don't see myself logging in to a forum for the purpose of investigating a ROM developer or user. I respect these ROM developers, all of them, andrizoid included.

I just have an incompatibility about ads for donations, even though I do donate probably more than the average user.

15. ColonelPanic

The ROM is good and stable for a lot of us. What is funny is when I look I see the donate links but i hadn't noticed them before. Guess being around web developers, I have learned to ignore things like that.

We do have to be careful about respecting the wishes of those who don't want their stuff included but I don't see an issue with soliciting donations for work done. The lovely part is we have options. I keep nand backups of the Eris Original ROM, WW and CyanogenELB fully configured.

Hell it's like picking a suit in the morning. I just happen to wear WW a lot.

16. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

Deleted due to misunderstanding

17. Frisco

I was glad to see that some developers were creating non-Sense ROMS, however I found myself gravitating back to Senseable 3.1 after fooling with others..

..the over clocking sure made me realize that my good running, fast 1.5 and 2.1 were a bit slower than they could have been. ;)

My only gripe with Sense is the darned "phone" button in the dock.. I use the real button at the bottom left.

Perhaps we rooters can get rid of the dock button? I'll post a query over at XDA.

18. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

Frisco, check out Aloysis over on XDA. There in the OP, you see a link to a TON of add ons. Many of those include Modified Rosie's....
    I am not positive if those add ons only work with Aloysius. But i am running it now and they work great.
    I just posted a screen shot today on the "lets see your UI" thread. That "darned phone button" is not so darned anymore ;)

OP... sorry to get off subject

Frisco likes this.
  19. ERISLOVER

ERISLOVER Well-Known Member

SET CPU is supposed to be left out of roms

20. Frisco

Thanks for that ROM title; I'll have a peek... perhaps it'll be my next flash.

And you're right, I guess it is difficult to stay on-topic when talking about one particular ROM.. it just naturally leads to others.

21. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

Where are the please donate ads? I have never noticed them and just went looking around...couldn't find such an ad anywhere.

andrizoid likes this.
  22. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

The beauty of so many ROMs is that you can pick the one that best fits you. SO much better than an unrooted phone that gives you no choices.

23. ColonelPanic

After looking around I only see ads in apps Frisco. Where did you see the links ?

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

andrizoid likes this.
  24. tonyb81

Unless you are really picky and tend to flash multiple roms daily, like I do. It drives me crazy that I can't stick to one, sometimes I want plain vanilla, some times I want Sense.

25. es0tericcha0s

es0tericcha0s Well-Known Member

Well, luckily that's why there are so many different kinds of roms to pick from, so you can find the one that best fits your needs. I didn't even know what my needs were though, till I began playing around with all the different options. White Widow has worked pretty well so far. Once I flashed a metamorph to change the status bar to black and the highlighting of clicking on things white, it matched my idea of what I wanted my phone to look like, and I was set. I haven't really had any other issues with it, including ads, but I use AdFree, so maybe that cuts down on them, or I am just used to ignoring them. As far as adding in apps that he shouldn't well...that's probably why he has them in the optional installs and not baked in. So sort of toeing the line perhaps. Anyway, just my .02 cents, that in the economy probably isn't worth that any more lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.