Who came from WM?

Last Updated:

1. anoid

anoid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've been with WM since late 2006.
    I do like WM.
    I looking into an Android as my next device.
    Why did you go Android?
    What are some things that made you switch to Android?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

I wanted a touch screen device, with keyboard, and better hardware specs than my Moto Q...sling mobile is supported on Android unlike Maemo and most likely not Meego, so Android it is.

3. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Hey anoid,

I am currently waiting for my Incredible to arrive. I have had an Omnia for the past year and a half. I flashed a custom ROM onto my phone, as the stock experience was horrible, but since then I have actually been very pleased with my WM phone. I have enjoyed the freedom that WM gave me, and with Microsoft going a different direction with WP7, I decided to continue the similar experience, Android was the way to go. Plus I LOVE the Sense UI, and being Verizon is the only network that has good service where I live, combine the three and the Incredible was the only choice for me.

4. RawlingsSc

RawlingsSc Well-Known Member Contributor

I had a verizon XV6900 before I got my incredible. I was having problems with my GPS among other things so I wanted something new when my upgrade came around. I was looking at the upcoming WinMo phones and saw that WP7 was looking very iPhoneish. I decided I didn't want to go down that road so I looked at Android. I got my Incredible on launch day and have really enjoyed it.

5. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

Because WM would only sync with outlook and I was tired of the problems with outlook.
    WM web browsing sucked being since it was IE based.
    WM is extremely fragmented, some apps wouldn't work with the standard and needed the pro OS, some wouldn't work with 6.1 and needed 6,5 etc.

6. DROIDdidME

DROIDdidME Well-Known Member

I tried an HD2 for 2 weeks back when it first came out and TRIED to really love it because my wife woke up early for me to get it on launch day but I just couldn't...I had a G1 before that and making the switch to WM was just not for me. Anyone who has used WM knows what I mean when I say it's not for everyone!

7. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

I had the Sprint HTC Touch Diamond.. damn phone sucked so much ass lol

8. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

I had the mogul/titan, touch pro, touch pro 2.

For me, it was lack of good hardware options... just seemed all the winmo hardware was sooo dated.

9. Ahmed Alzayani

Ahmed Alzayani Active Member

I used to be WM user for a long time until one week ago, when i got my first android phone (Samsung Galaxy S), i jumped for Android because:

1. WM is a dying OS, WinMo was optimized for stylus and not touch, 6.5 was tiring to fix this , but it was very bad, buggy and bad UI.

2. Android in the other hand was built ground up for the touch experience.

3. WM Display colors is limited to 65K.

4. Open Source OS (i am a developer my self)

5. Hot hardware for Android (Samsung Galaxy S). WinMo hardware was not that good this year with the exception of HD2.

6. Apps, Android Market is very good, with 80K+ apps in the market now.

10. Vmanisme

Vmanisme Well-Known Member

I came from Windows Mobile phone, had the Motorola q9m, never getting WM phone again in my life, android is the american dream =D

11. pyehac

pyehac Active Member

I used my HTC Touch Pro before I got the android, and its great to use something you can customize.

12. ABCDawg

ABCDawg Member

I switched from WM mainly because Android is open source. But also because it's "with the times". As much as Windows Phone 7 might push the WM platform ahead, they're still miles behind. Just wasn't worth it anymore.

13. mrspeedmaster

mrspeedmaster Well-Known Member

Not really. Andy Rubenstien at the time touted the G1 as a blackberry competitor. It wasn't until late 2009/early 2010 that touch became a big deal.

Only a few Android phones broke the 16bit barrier. EVO 4G, Nexus, Inc are still 16 bit

14. xmastree

xmastree Well-Known Member

I have a WM phone for work (HTC P6500.) Whilst it looks and feels like a doorstop compared to my magic, there's one thing I can do with it which I haven't been able to do with android.

I can copy selected text from an email and paste it into a SMS message or into the phonebook.

Last time I tried this on the android was when someone SMS'd me their address and I had to copy the entire message, paste it into their contact details and delete the non-relevant bit.

A stylus is also much more precise than a fat thumb, and I find typing messages much quicker. That may well be due to the fact that I've had it for three years compared with one month for the Magic.

15. Stormin

Stormin Well-Known Member

From a Moto Q9C running WM 6.1 to the EVO 4G running Android 2.1. I have been waiting for 6 months for Sprint to get a decent phone.