• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who else believes that Launcher Pro replaces the need for Vanilla Android UI?

Eazail70x7

Android Expert
Mar 13, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
The reason I feel that it does is mainly due to the bottom dock which can be customized to look not just similar, but EXACTLY the same as Vanilla 2.1 or 2.2 which was on the Nexus 1. (I can provide a pic if needed).

Other than a few different apps for certain phones and the different notification bar you may have, its basically vanilla. The vanilla android widgets are on all android phones so you still have those.

I'm not seeing what more vanilla android could add?? Also, I have a Moment with Vanilla android and can tell you that Launcher Pro is much smoother in scrolling on the Home screen. (Same goes for the Droid). The scrolling is choppier on vanilla...

I've been using LauncherPro since shortly after it was available, and have no interest in the stock Home app in 2.2, if for no other reason than the bottom dock in the stock Home app is not customizable, and I don't use either of apps that are part of the stock Home dock. Having swipe actions on the dock make LauncherPro even more of an improvement over the stock Home app.

That said, LauncherPro is just a launcher - it's not a skin for the entire OS. So comparing LauncherPro to the "Android UI" isn't quite a valid comparison.

Upvote 0
You're right, I should have just said Vanilla Android launcher, not Vanilla Android UI. Can a mod edit the title to reflect that??

I agree with your post as well. Also, I think thats one of my favorite things about Launcher Pro, it doesn't replace the skin for the most part of your phone. For example, if you like your notification bar being black, it stays black. If you like the radio toggles in the notification bar, you still keep those. You also keep your apps as well.

Edit:

Finally found a video showing Launcher Pro looking like 2.2 Vanilla Froyo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzMAkpajZxU

He pulls out a captivate after booting up the Epic 4G and has launcher pro looking like Vanilla Froyo with the same exact dock bar features :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones