Who else has the SD card probelm?General

Have you had the SD card probelm?

1. Yes and I'm using the SD card from a previous phone.

8 vote(s)
    12.9%
  2. Yes and I'm using the SD card that came with the phone.

29 vote(s)
    46.8%
  3. Yes and I'm using the SD card from a previous phone and the phone freezes.

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. Yes and I'm using the SD card that came with the phone and the phone freezes.

11 vote(s)
    17.7%
  5. No, I have not had this probelm.

11 vote(s)
    17.7%

Last Updated:

1. jen8112

jen8112 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just trying to see if we can find a solution to the Optimus's SD card problem. Mine, and others, will unmount then remount their SD card all by themselves. Some have reported the phone freezing after this and they need to go a battery pull. Mine has not froze, yet.

Advertisement
  2. jen8112

Well I swapped out my old SD with the one it came with and it just did it again. Uggg! Time to email LG! ;)

3. DaveG

DaveG Well-Known Member

You mentioned that you're now getting the errors with the card that came with the phone, right? Did you format the card from the PC before putting it back in your phone?

From another forum thread:

1) Connect phone to PC and mount as external USB drive. Copy all the contents off the SD card onto the PC.
    2) Un-mount from your PC
    3) Un-Mount the SD card from your phone. Menu > Settings > SD Card and phone storage.
    4) After the card is unmounted, select the option to format it. This will format in FAT16 which will work fine for something less than 2 TB.
    5) After formatting the card, remount it.
    6) Hook back up to PC and mount to PC and copy contents back over that you saved from step 1.
    7) Enjoy your phone not constantly unmounting and remounting your SD card.

JrossiX and rumplesteelskin like this.
  4. jen8112

No but I will try it today! Thanks! I'll report back!

5. rumplesteelskin

rumplesteelskin Well-Known Member

I'm gonna try this too

6. dawgfn78

dawgfn78 New Member

I formatted the SD card as well.. Three hours and counting without an error. Holding my breath.

Really annoying problem. Otherwise the phone is great. Sprint data reception in my area sucks, so I might be returning anyway. :(

7. stevenj1224

stevenj1224 Member

8. jen8112

You can always use the adapter that came in the box to put your SD card directly into your computer to copy the files. I did this then put the card back in a reformatted in the phone. People say it's better to do it on your computer but I couldn't figure out how to do it that way. ;)

9. stevenj1224

stevenj1224 Member

Ok thanks, I used the SD card adapter and copied old files to my new 16G micro card. Still no apps show from my SD card. Removed battery and restarted and still no luck. Not sure what's going on, or what to try next.

10. stevenj1224

stevenj1224 Member

Tried one more time with my SD card problem. Using the SD adapter, I reformatted my 16G micro SD card, using my laptop copied files back to the new card, and this time it is working. Hopefully this will continue to work......Thanks for the help.

11. bloodbought

bloodbought Member

Switched to a Sandisk card from an old phone 48 hrs ago and haven't had a problem since.

12. jen8112

Looks like I'm the only one that had the card issue with a card other than the card that came with the phone. Switched to the one it came with and still had the problem. Switch to a third card that I reformatted and so far so good! ;)

Rhanebeaux likes this.
  13. makersforme

makersforme Member

pulled the card, formatted the card yesterday via computer and had the problem just now. Most of the time it fixes itself, but periodically the card just tanks and typically have to remount it.

14. vicshalls

vicshalls Well-Known Member

Glad to know this is not all just me. I had the phone delete the apps from the sd card and sprint told me just to take them off the card and put them on the phone. What is the point in that? They exchanged the phone and the new one the card un mounts. I did the format and it is still doing it. Any other ideas?

15. msc43283

msc43283 Member

Is this only occurring when there are apps on the card?

16. jen8112

No, I did not have any apps on the card when it happened to me. I think it has done it once since I reformatted the card.

17. Jessicalt1

Jessicalt1 Well-Known Member

I have reformatted my card (from my old Hero) and it still unmounts and mounts itself. I don't have any apps on the card, but this is really annoying.

18. Spark5091

Spark5091 Member

Jen,
    Is there any coorelation to the power left in the phone? The last couple of days I have been intentionally trying to drain my battery (per a different posting) and I have noticed once I get below about 25% the phone intermittently does not recognize the SD card in the drive. At full power I have had no issues.

(just fyi, It is the original SD card.)

19. Kmfiremedic111

Kmfiremedic111 Well-Known Member

I formatted the card while plugged into my computer, and it still said SD card unmounted, but it seems to resolve itself after a few minutes. Hasn't happened to me in a while though.

20. feigndeaf

feigndeaf Active Member

I swapped the Samsung that came with it for my SanDisk (formatted before I put it in) and I never had a problem again.

21. pixproff

pixproff New Member

I was having the unmounted card and phone freezes issues and then I swapped out a new 16gb sandisk card I bought and it has not happened in 5 days. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

22. Rhanebeaux

Rhanebeaux New Member

I just reformatted my SD (the one that came with the phone) and I am doing ok so far...but it has only been about 10 minutes...

I am on my 3rd Optimus with this issue. I think I would feel better about the issue if Sprint would just admit it, but they will not. Nothing like great customer service...according to everyone at Sprint I have talked to, I am the only person having the issue. It is nice at least to know I not going crazy and others are having the issue too. I am still up in the air as to if I should keep this thing. I almost want to return it, because I only have 8 days left to decide.

23. apinkel

apinkel Well-Known Member

I've had my S about 2 weeks now. I haven't had the sd card unmount on me yet that I know of.

I thought I had an issue due to angry birds suddenly disappearing from my phone but it turns out that, much to my surprise, angry birds installs to the SD card by default so when I swapped out the stock 2GB SD card for an 8GB I had to redo the install.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of how the install to SD feature works at this point in time...

24. jsbach

jsbach Member

Happened to me like 5 times.

25. AndMonkey

AndMonkey New Member

I was just about to do the whole format thing on the PC when it occurred to me that it may just be a en error. So I ran the error checker instead and viola , it did the job. Didn't need to format the card and everything was back to normal and faster.