• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who else is waiting?

I was eligible in October, IIRC. Nothing out there but the RAZR MAXX interests me. I like the nexus, yes. but I have reservations about samung.

note looks neat too but..

what I really really want. A new dual core, 4.0, phone/tablet. Something 5+ inches wide that is still a phone device. So I'm not even tempted to consider a tablet. Course again, Razr has that lapdock thing. and its good.

I am in no hurry

Upvote 0
napalm i would suggest holding out as well, but if you hold out too much longer you may get something out of anticipation and then 2 months later some thing better comes out and blows it out of the water, like the Razr, then what a month later the razr maxx was introduced? yeah id be upset.

exactly I wasn't about to jump on the RAZR at day one. Just like I waited a month on the DX.

I see things about quad core. I don't see that as necessary for a phone, or even a tablet. dual yes. Quad is overkill, IMO. Unless quad, clocked at say 600mhz = or betters the performace of dual 1200mhz and uses less battery.

Then I'd be down, like a clown.

Upvote 0
exactly I wasn't about to jump on the RAZR at day one. Just like I waited a month on the DX.

I see things about quad core. I don't see that as necessary for a phone, or even a tablet. dual yes. Quad is overkill, IMO. Unless quad, clocked at say 600mhz = or betters the performace of dual 1200mhz and uses less battery.

Then I'd be down, like a clown.
But you'll want quad core when you're running Ubuntu for Android. :D

Upvote 0
But you'll want quad core when you're running Ubuntu for Android. :D

Only if the screen resolutions are higher. Why do I need to run Ubuntu? to run pure linux programs, sure that might be nice. But its a pocket device.

Unless plugged into a lap dock - and I already have a linux/win7 laptop.

and quad core, so far all I see is major battery hog + major battery = more weight.

again, for a pocket device. Seems a bit much to me.

but I will wait a bit longer and see. course quads come out, and Razr Maxx goes down in cost.

Upvote 0
Still holding out here. My DX is hands down the best phone I have ever owned. Still running like a champ. The MAXX is tempting but $299 is ridiculous. Holding out hope for the Fighter, Samsung SIII, or maybe even the iphone 5 at this point.

Agreed. Mine is on the way out sort of, dropped it the other day and now there is a small pattern of dead pixels but it works fine. Since I got my new battery for $5, it's now back to its most-of-the-day battery life running CM7. Built like a tank and does everything I need it to do.

Been checking out some new phones, but there is always something wrong with each phone. The biggest phone I could accept is 4.3", but I'd really prefer to go for 4". Those phones don't have great specs, and while I'm looking at the Incredible 4G, not sure if that's a great idea. Plus I'd like to at least see what's going on with the next iPhone before entering another 2-year contract. My Droid X will most likely last that long, so it isn't a big deal.

Upvote 0
I'm still getting the most out of my X (rooted Gummy 1.2 ICS 4.04) and am probably going to order an extended battery this week-end. I'm starting to pay attention to the new Verizon releases but am not going to be paying $300 + $30. I'm still on my stock battery from my release day X.

edit: Just ordered a Motorola OEM Droid X/MB810 Extended Battery BH6X and cover

Upvote 0
Still hanging on. I just breathed some new life into my Droid X by flashing AOKP ICS (I did Gummy ICS first and then switched, but both are fine). It's like a completely new phone. Speed difference is night and day. Sure, camcorder is iffy (and low res), no flash, no youtube HQ, but I can live without that stuff for now.

My Droid X has performed admirably for over 2 years now. Very impressed.

Still, as soon as something worth the upgrade (Galaxy S3 maybe though I'm not at all of fan of Samsung with their slow/no updates or Fighter/Razr HD) comes out.

AOKP has definitely extended my tolerance of the DX for at least a couple of months though.

Upvote 0
My Droid X has performed admirably for over 2 years now. Very impressed.

Still, as soon as something worth the upgrade (Galaxy S3 maybe though I'm not at all of fan of Samsung with their slow/no updates or Fighter/Razr HD) comes out.

Same here! I am currently really considering the S3 because I have never owned a Samsung phone. I'm starting to worry that the Fighter/RAZR HD will just be a MAXX with a better screen. But who am i kidding...it will probably be the first one of those to come out ;) :D

Upvote 0
Was thinking I would have to choose between the GS3 and HTC One X, but since Verizon isn't getting a One variant at all, it would seem, that makes the choice much easier! Im in no hurry though, so maybe I'll see if the Fighter or HD Razr join the group. But for now, I think I'm going to finally root and try that BoostedICS ROM, and see just how long I can keep using my DX, it's been a great phone!

Upvote 0
My droid X is starting to show its age. A few apps have become laggy, but the phone is still awesome. First phone I have not wanted to replace after 12 months.

My plan is to wait for the S3. If there is no new news about the Razr HD (Fighter?) I will go with the S3. If the Razr HD is announced before then and has a better screen, updated processor and better battery (than the razr) I may go with that.

Upvote 0
Dito to the last couple posts. I would also consider that in fringe areas the Samsung data signals are very weak compared to Motorola. Secondly, Sammy usually design rounded back side which does not hold real well in the car or other unstable environments. Our X is a good example as it rests on the corners and doesn't slide around so easy. Next body material. Our X seems so secure in the hand. Samsung,at least the Nexus was so slippery you would be forced to get a cover. I used my upgrade in January's to get the Nexus all of the above issues forced me to return it and gladly payed the $30 fee to learn that lesson.
Razr HD seems like the best option coming. Until then I've enjoyed new life in my X via root & Beanstown's Galnet MIUI ics.

Upvote 0
With the end of grandfathered unlimited data plans coming (source) seems like upgrading BEFORE this happens could have an advantage. Basically another 2-years of unlimited. But will there be a phone worth upgrading to? (Razr HD? SGIII?)

That's what I'm worried about now, I want to upgrade while I can keep unlimited data, but there isn't anything out right now that I'm dying to get. The GNex isn't bad, but I'm hoping the GS3 or HD Razr or something epic drops before I'm forced to upgrade to something I don't really want just to keep my unlimited data.

Upvote 0
Ditto to the above. I am still loving my X just fine, and I was planning on keeping it until Jelly Bean was released. Then I heard about VZW eliminating the unlimited data plans for grandfathered users. So, now I'm torn. I think the choices come down to SG3, Razr HD, or waiting until Jelly Bean to see if one of the potentially multiple Nexus phones comes to VZW and pay full price.

Upvote 0
I'm going to take a wait and see approach to this unlimited data news. Latest is you will be able to keep unlimited if you buy an unsubsidized phone: Verizon: You can have unlimited data... just no device subsidies | Mobile - CNET News. This might be good, or they might price the tiered data plans to make them look better than unlimited.

My DX is running very smoothly on CM9 so I'm in no hurry to make a move. 4G is available where I work, but spotty at home where I would use it the most so no need for a 4G device yet, and I share the sentiment that there isn't that 1 gotta have phone on VZ right now that makes me want to retire the DX.

Upvote 0
With the end of grandfathered unlimited data plans coming (source) seems like upgrading BEFORE this happens could have an advantage. Basically another 2-years of unlimited. But will there be a phone worth upgrading to? (Razr HD? SGIII?)
Similar situation here but my DX had an ever increasing black spot in the display from being dropped onto a carpeted floor where it apparently hit just wrong. I've held off replacing it under insurance as I was due for an upgrade soon and saw no logic in paying $100 for a replacement that I would then replace a month or two later. I was hoping to hold out for the Fighter/Razr HD or something like that, but with the potential of unlimited data and even the current double data offers ending soon, it looks like I may have to make a move before then.

You almost have to wonder if that situation may be intentional. Devices with larger, true HD resolution displays would seem to encourage the use of apps like Netflix that in turn relate to heavy data usage. I can see VZW wanting to avoid many with unlimited data plans purchasing such devices and potentially greatly increasing their data usage while also using those same new devices to help justify people without unlimited data plans purchasing larger capacity data plans.

Upvote 0
I was hoping to hold out for the Fighter/Razr HD or something like that, but with the potential of unlimited data and even the current double data offers ending soon, it looks like I may have to make a move before then.

Take a look in the Verizon forum ... latest report was that Verizon said they would not be ending grandfathered unlimited data.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Take a look in the Verizon forum ... latest report was that Verizon said they would not be ending grandfathered unlimited data.
I have been following that discussion and although the comment came from a reputable source, after such a clear and quite public announcement regarding eliminating the grandfathered unlimited data plans, it will take more confirmation than a single report of a conversation with a VZW Customer Loyalty rep for me to believe that Verizon changed their minds and will not be eliminating grandfathered unlimited data plans, confirmation I would like to see but have so far been unable to find. And even if Verizon does renege on the earlier statements by their CFO, that does not mean they won't then try to find a different approach to obtain the same net result. So I guess that for us it comes down to:

A. Get my Droid X replaced under insurance and keep our current plan with unlimited data.

B. Keep using the DX with a bad display while we wait for newer phones whose details and release dates are unknown at this time and hope the report is right and that unlimited data plans are still possible when the phones are available.

C. Wait until both new phones and the shared data plans come out and hope we can still either keep unlimited data or save money with one of the shared data plans.

D. Get current 4G devices now knowing we can get either unlimited data or one of the current double data plan offerings.

Not being a big risk taker, I'm leaning toward the latter option unless I see some confirmation soon that VZW is not going to eliminate the grandfathered unlimited data plans as they had previously stated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones