1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. No thank you

23 vote(s)
    92.0%

Last Updated:

1. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok just wanted to get a few opinions in case anyone already has been experiencing it. In the coming 2 weeks I will be in the market for a new TV. Right now I'm looking at this one right now

58" 1080p 3D Plasma TV Series 8 | Samsung PN58C8000 - Plasma TVs

Do you think having a 3D tv is worth it right now? I mean I think Id rather have it just in case and have the option than buying a new tv and not having the option. thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Personally I think I'd wait a bit...

Technology will continue to improve and prices will start to drop as we get into the XMAS season.

3. VegasOnAcid

VegasOnAcid Well-Known Member

I think they are too expensive at the moment, and they are still kinda in the first gen stage? I personally would wait a 6 months to a year see where it is at that point.. Honestly it still seems kinda gimmicky at the moment. imo.

4. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

It's going to take quite a while for it to become "worthwhile". As of right now, I wouldn't even think about buying one.

5. BiGMERF

with 12 games dropping in 3d for ps3 and an upadte coming for 360. makes me want it. plus the 4 dedicated 3d channels on directv

6. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I was playing around with it at a store the other day and wasn't all that impressed. It is cool technology, but I think it has a ways to go before it is going to be really great.

7. TheGoatLantern

TheGoatLantern Well-Known Member

Wait for Toshiba's glasses free 3d tech, that will become the norm. Having to buy expensive glasses is ridiculous. Early adopters of 3DTV will hate that they spent 300 for a pair of glasses...

8. LickTheEnvelope

LickTheEnvelope Well-Known Member

3D, IMO, is almost something of a throw in. My friend was looking at getting one then asked "how many movies can play in 3D?" To which the clerk responded: "Two."

Yes some games will come and some more cheesey movies (Saw 3D etc) but i'm more interested in something like holographic technology than just 3D.

9. BiGMERF

best buy is giving 4 for free with there magnolia tv's. they will recoup the money they loose not selling the glasses somewhere. those tv's will be astronomical.. if that tech was so close we would not be wearing them in the movies right now

10. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

Waste of $

11. BiGMERF

12. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

If you have guests over for a little gathering/party and they want to watch a 3D movie, do some watch and others can't. Even if you bought extra glasses, you might have more people in the house.

13. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

At the moment its sort of pointless. Not enough 3D content, and its still very early technology. And expensive.

I live by this when it comes to technology: "Early adopters always get screwed". "Always" does exaggerate a bit. But it does have some truth to it. If you don't buy something right away, and the product is good, the worst that happens is that you didn't have it right when it came out and were a bit behind the curve. But if its a bad/failing product (HD-DVD for example), you basically wasted your money and have buyers remorse.

I'd give 3D TVs a year before I would really consider them. There maybe a large improvement in the technology, they will probably get cheaper, and there will be far more content that is in 3D released for them.

14. Pryomancer

Pryomancer Well-Known Member

I think 3d is a crappy gimmick. It doesn't add anything to the film/tv, and frankly I've seen some 3d tv's and it was rubbish.
    Hopefully it'll trend itself out of fashion in a few years.

15. BiGMERF

they can watch the pip screen... LMFAO!

16. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

I'm in the industry and my personal feeling is that it's a fad as well. I have access to WAY too much 3D equipment.

That being said, there has been some good stuff done in 3D (i.e. Avatar, How to Train your Dragon and a few others). 3D isn't going away anytime soon. Personally, I'll never own a 3D tv as it's pointless to me.

Content, be it 2D or 3D needs to hold it's own weight and NOT rely on the number of dimensions to make money. Crap = crap = crap. Quality will outsell the crap regardless of how many dimensions it is in.

17. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

The thing with 3D TVs right now is that HD isn't even the standard yet. When do they actually expect 3D HD to become more the norm?

18. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation VIP Member

Personally I'm holding out for 4D

19. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

How am I hating? It's a cheap gimmick at best. Barely anything displays in 3D at the moment. In the future when the majority of media goes to 3D then perhaps it will be worth it but for now I'm satisfied with my current HDTV and won't be changing it anytime soon.

20. MJM128

MJM128 Well-Known Member

Go for a Google Powered TV!!! I dislike 3d tv in general, just ads to more eye strain for me, and has no effect on the content.

21. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Nope, no 3D TV for me.. and not likely to get one in the foreseeable future.

1) Almost no content, except for a few Blu-rays and some sport.
    2) Bulky expensive shutter glasses. Are people who already wear glasses expected to wear two pairs of glasses? Invite a few friends around to watch the football in 3D...oh sorry I only have 2 pairs of these expensive 3D glasses.... oops.

Keep 3D in the cinema. It can work well there with a good movie, as long as it's NOT 'Clash of the Titans'.

Another ridiculous thing about 3D TV, is that there is not even a standard for the glasses.
    3D Glasses Incompatibility Solved: Wear Them Upside Down - TV News - TrustedReviews

..absolutely crazy.

22. Chidori602

Chidori602 Well-Known Member

If I remember right 4d is just 3d or 2d but the seats move and there is also like wind and what not. They have a theater like this in Korea i think.

23. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Seats are 10 GRAND each last time I checked. :eek::eek::eek:

24. gallandof

gallandof Well-Known Member

im personally going to stick with 2d, current 3d isnt impressive enough and glasses free is going to have horrible viewing angles. I thikn it was 4k resolution tvs that I saw a post on recently those to me are more interesting higher resolution wins for me.

25. BiGMERF

you are right, you can experience it a various parks . Like the Terminator at Universal.. Still need glasses for 3D though