Who has an official 2.3.4 firmware update via Kies?General

1. Andylfc5

Andylfc5 Member

Thought I would start a thread for people waiting for the official update through Kies, and who are not interested in using Odin.

So if you have updated via Kies can you post when you updated, who is your carrier, and what country you are in.

I am still waiting for it, I got my S2 from Carphone Warehouse, its unbranded and unlocked but still nothing.

Advertisement
  2. TobesEtc

TobesEtc Well-Known Member

So 40 minutes ago I thought "that's me, I'll see what Kies tells me". So stupid. First it wouldn't sense that the phone was connected. So I shut everything else down and tried again. And again. And then it crashed my laptop with a Blue Screen Of...very poorly! Just managed to get it all back up and running (at work...oops) and have decided to uninstall Kies here and at home and join the Root/Flash/Odin brigade! So, sorry that your first respondent has abandoned the cause! (YNWA).
  3. amg_1969

amg_1969 Well-Known Member

Hi,

first post since getting my Galaxy, I bought a sim free unlocked Galaxy yesterday, and I have just updated it via Kies to what it says is the new version, and the phone is showing Gingerbread version 2.3.3

Regards

Andrew
  4. daz_2000

daz_2000 Well-Known Member

That's OK. 2.3.4 not been released for kies on uk - should be this month.
    jorricks, suhailmoghul and SandLake like this.
  5. SandLake

SandLake Active Member

daz_2000, that's good news but can you tell me your source, I have been going through various forums but can't seem to find anything as definite as you have, or to put it another way - where is the best place to get news on official releases (obviously not Samsung, Vodaphone or even Google!!!!)
  6. daz_2000

daz_2000 Well-Known Member

I think samfirmware tweeted it mate.

I've been waiting months for it and after refusing to update via odin, I finally updated via Odin yesterday. Was surprising easy and am now running 2.3.4. Can't say I've found any massive differences to date.
    jorricks likes this.
  7. Mark_s

Mark_s Member

I'm With O2
    And Updating the Firmware Now.
    Via Kies
  8. Mark_s

Mark_s Member

Sorry if i jumped the Gun?
    Kies has updated me to the latest version of Firmware.

PDA:KF3 /PHONE:KE7 /CSC:KG2 (O2U)

About Phone still shows Gingerbread 2.3.3
    So i'm not sure if mine is the latest either. (Or a corrupt install of Kies never showed an old update or not).

Sorry for any confusion.
  9. SandLake

SandLake Active Member

I thought firmware and OS were the same thing.

I got that PDA:KF3 /PHONE:KE7 /CSC:KG2 (XEU) last week and I thought I was getting 2.3.4.

Can someone clarify what is the difference between firmware and the OS?
  10. Scainer

Scainer Active Member

I was messing about for a few minutes with Ice Cream Sandwich on a Nexus S, and it seemed flawless. Unfortunately I was watched so couldn't really do anything with it, and they wouldn't answer any questions :(

I used to jailbreak my iPhone but with the GS2 I can't be bothered rooting it, as it does everything I need without needing to.
    Obviously if 2.3.4 solved major issues i'd be on it already but I think I can happily wait for the Kies update. I actually thought due to this thread that it was out and did feel disappointed seeing no update. :p

Mine is PDA:KF3 /PHONE:KE7 /CSC:KD1 (XEU) <-- Now i need to know what it means
  11. Mark_s

Mark_s Member

O2U

i'm with o2 Phone Provider so i'm guessing its to do with the Phone Provider ?
  12. SandLake

SandLake Active Member

If I connect to KIES using a USB cable it shows (I'm on Vodaphone UK)

PDA:KF3 /PHONE:KE7 /CSC:KG2 (XEU)

but if I enter *#1234# on the phone it says

PDA : I9100XWKF3
    PHONE : I9100XXKE7
    CSC : I9100XEUKD1

similar but not exactly the same
  13. SandLake

SandLake Active Member

scrub that, just double checked KIES and it does say

PDA:KF3 /PHONE:KE7 /CSC:KD1 (XEU)

so they are both the same - sorry about that
  14. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

XEU is one of the generic locale codes for UK/EC firmware.

Interesting that both unlocked and O2 handsets show KF3/KE7. I wonder if that's standard for all UK providers? Anyone else on other networks care to share current details?
  15. Twinn

Twinn Well-Known Member

i`m on Emobile in Ireland and Kies is showing:

PDA:KF3 /PHONE:KE7 /CSC:KE1 (EIR)
  16. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

I'm on Orange UK, purchased in an Orange high street store:
    PDA:KG3 / PHONE:KG2 / CSC:KG3 (ORA)
  17. Elijah2104

Elijah2104 Member

A friend is on Orange and his GS2 updated yesterday over the air. I'm on a sim only deal with O2 but alas I'm still waiting for KIES or OTA.
  18. planetf1

planetf1 Active Member

On vodafone UK *#1234# is showing me
    PDA KG2 / PHONE KG1 / CSC KE2

will try kies when home -- looks like orange has a further minor update
  19. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Well-Known Member

Just go to "About Phone" in "Settings" , look for "Android Version" , if it says v2.3.4 then you have the latest firmware , if it says v2.3.3 then you have not!
    Dunnock likes this.
  20. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Not necessarily. Many locales and/or carriers don't yet have an official 2.3.4 release, so for them 2.3.3 is still "the latest".
  21. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Well-Known Member

What does 2.3.4 have to offer over 2.3.3

Likely so little that it is not worth the trouble.

My SG2 has worked without flaw on 2.3.3 and I am not looking forward to chnaging until there a reason.:p
  22. heshanj

heshanj Well-Known Member

yeah there's not much really. although on the SGS2, the firmware running 2.3.4 has far superior battery life to anything i had on 2.3.3.. even if ur happy with ur battery now, u'll definitely notice an improvement.. n we should get google video chat on a 2.3.4 firmware sometime soon (im hoping) although u can flash that update even if ur on 2.3.3, if ur rooted. and in general, i found stuff to run a bit smoother on the newer firmware, on 2.3.4
  23. biffsmash

biffsmash Well-Known Member

It's odd really, I always assumed unlocked phones would get quicker updates, but seems with this phone, it's last lol :D

I am unlocked, bought on O2, but unbranded, and still on KF3. Works fine though so I suppose I have no problem waiting, just love seeing them updates lol :D
  24. evohicks

evohicks Well-Known Member

Same here O2 contract phone, unbranded/unlocked, just checked no update as yet, one thing I will say.....just had my S2 replaced (won't bore you with the details) but with the first S2 there was an update ready on Kies, straight out of the box, but with my new one, its up to date already out of the box, maybe a new batch of them have been released or something.