• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who Has Screen Separation?

Do you have screen separation?

• Yes, and I noticed it right out of the box.

Votes: 40 25.6%
  • Yes, and I believe it's from me using it.

Votes: 21 13.5%
  • No, and I wouldn't care anyways.

Votes: 13 8.3%
  • No, but I'm returning my Nexus 7 until problems are worked out.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I don't know, I'm too afraid to look.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other: Let's see it in the comments.

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • No

Votes: 61 39.1%

• Total voters
Ok so after 4 replacements I was given the option for refund and I gladly took it. Dude that I was talking to kept saying how weird it was that I got so many defective units and stuff. I was trying to explain to him that Google should cut the deal with Asus and make them look bad because of the poor quality. Anyway - I will go without a tablet for now once my job demands one maybe Nexus 7 bought from the store or Galaxy Note 10.1 just saying!

Upvote 0
Ok so after 4 replacements I was given the option for refund and I gladly took it. Dude that I was talking to kept saying how weird it was that I got so many defective units and stuff. I was trying to explain to him that Google should cut the deal with Asus and make them look bad because of the poor quality. Anyway - I will go without a tablet for now once my job demands one maybe Nexus 7 bought from the store or Galaxy Note 10.1 just saying!

I'm about to call on my 5th one. The last guy was shocked that I'd had so many. Said this was rare. But every single one has had the lift. When I opened up the last one, it looked perfect until I charged it. Then it popped right up. It's pretty sad that they still can't get this right.

Hopefully they give me the refund option. I was planning on asking for it anyway.

Upvote 0
I called around all the local shops after checking google play (they were sold out). Walmart ended up having a couple (this was sep 2nd). Picked one up within the next 15 mins, fully charged it then set it up. C70 batch. Soon after I noticed the lift (middle left side of the glass). after trying the screws a couple times I gave up. Later after finding the guy that broke of the small piece of plastic on the back cover it hit me.. that small piece is just enough to push the screen back up after pressing it down. you get the screen to re attach to the double sided tape & frame of the nexus (whish is pretty thin in that section if you've ever seen one without the screen in place). I removed the back cover, cut the small tab off directly under where the highest lift point was & replaced the cover. That was some time ago now & my screen stays down. a bit of epoxy would be nice but I hate the thought of getting it everywhere & Im satisfied....

Upvote 0
I just got a N7 a couple of weeks ago with no lift or separation issues. The number of screen issues is alarming. I find it difficult to believe this many devices made it through QC. This leads me to ask those with separation issues: Are you using a protection case for your device and if so, does it attach to the device where flexing it could cause a separation problem?

Some of those cases, folders, and portfolios with attachment points right on the edge of the screen and case look like instruments of torture for such a delicate device as the N7 to me.

Upvote 0
in my opinion it's not something a new user might recognize right off the bat being that it's only a small defect. I fixed mine,like I stated I tried the screw's (both tightening them and loosening them). I can understand people's apprehension after seeing all these quick fixes, but it does turn out to be that little plastic tab on the back cover directly behind the major point of screen lift the unit gets warm causing the double sided tape to give a bit allowing the screen to lift away from the frame..

Upvote 0
I don't see it on this one...but those of us--like me--who've had cracked screens are wondering if this might not be the reason some of them have cracked easier than you would expect. See: http://androidforums.com/nexus-7/605927-google-nexus-7-replacement-screen-2.html

I didn't: mine dropped about 3 feet onto it's back, and cracked, and I paid ASUS $170 to get it fixed. It's on me, and I paid, but I started noticing all the cracked screens floating around the web...hope is just due to bad luck, clumsy boys, and stuff like that...that testing they showed sure made us think they were sturdier...none of my netbooks or smartphones have cracked, and they've been treated the same way....

Yeah, I probably should've gotten a new one...but oh well.

And others have had cracked for lesser drops, no drops at all, etc. We hope that it's just a matter of us getting used to taking better care of our tablets...but any problem near the screen, we pay attention to, as there are more than you'd think...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones