• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who Has Screen Separation?

Do you have screen separation?

• Yes, and I noticed it right out of the box.

Votes: 40 25.6%
  • Yes, and I believe it's from me using it.

Votes: 21 13.5%
  • No, and I wouldn't care anyways.

Votes: 13 8.3%
  • No, but I'm returning my Nexus 7 until problems are worked out.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I don't know, I'm too afraid to look.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other: Let's see it in the comments.

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • No

Votes: 61 39.1%

• Total voters
Got my 4th one delivered yesterday and also has it but very very slight. I wrapped it in a towel and clamped it with some small vice grips where the screen is coming up. Took the vice grips off this morning, no screen lift. Will leave it off all day and see if it comes back.

I'm still torn about keeping it or returning it.

Upvote 0
So how much separation is bad enough to return? My separation is barely visible to the eye (have to really inspect it) and I only get a small creaking if I intentionally press hard on the left side.

I've heard it just gets worse. But I read about people on multiples that it makes me wonder if this amount of separation might be as good as I'm going. I can't imagine exchanging it from Walmart is going to get me a better one out of the same batch if it's a design/manufacturing flaw.

Upvote 0
So how much separation is bad enough to return? My separation is barely visible to the eye (have to really inspect it) and I only get a small creaking if I intentionally press hard on the left side.

I've heard it just gets worse. But I read about people on multiples that it makes me wonder if this amount of separation might be as good as I'm going. I can't imagine exchanging it from Walmart is going to get me a better one out of the same batch if it's a design/manufacturing flaw.

Both of mine are perfect, so this is only my opinion. If you have creaking, I would exchange it as there would seem to be movement where there should be none.

Upvote 0
It was the last one they had. :(

Live with it for a few days and check back or do a return. That may actually be good news as they most likely will get replenished from a different batch which may (hopefully) not have the issue. Having been here seeing all the folks getting them, it seems like the bad ones come in bunches.

Upvote 0
So my first replacement is starting to show signs of separation. Not as bad as the original but I have a feeling that is going to get worse. I am still waiting for confirmation of the first return. Looks like I will be sending back another one. Oh well. It is good practice for unlocking and rooting and all that jazz. Plus, another 10 bucks for initializing Google Wallet on a new device. :D

jmar

Upvote 0
It is really bad, probably over a full mm of protrusion, which of course moves all the way down to where it should be when I press it. I just checked and the walmart across the street from my Sam's supposedly has them in stock. I will check there, and if they do, buy one there and then go across the street and return this one.

Sorry Anti:(

Reactions: AntimonyER
Upvote 0
Just got my nexus a couple of days ago. Noticed it's lifted on the left side of the screen (feels 'spongy' like it's not glued down right). I found a lot of people screwed the screws tighter after removing the back panel; it works for some but not for others.

My issue is whether or not this lift will lead to the screen being more susceptible to cracking??

I found a comment in a thread about screen cracks (here: Oops! - Dropped and cracked Nexus 7 Screen - SOL? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com)

that said: (relevant bits underlined by me)

"This seems to be happening quite a bit. My screen cracked on my Nexus 7 after 5 days. I didn't drop it or anything. It was even in a silicone skin and had a screen protector on it. But it still cracked from one side to the other. I googled "Nexus 7 Screen Crack" and noticed several posts about the screen coming "Unglued" or lifting from the chasis in the middle of the tablet on the left side. Upon checking mine, I noticed it was lifted and the crack was located just below the lift of the glass. I've since sent it to Asus and am waiting a response on repair and if it will be covered as a manufacturer defect. When speaking to the Asus rep, he said he had not heard anything about the glass lifting in the middle of the tablet. I told him to google it and check it out. They've had the tablet for 3 days now and still waiting to hear from the repair tech."

--> in this case, i don't know if the lift led to the crack or the crack led to the lift??

But I am concerned that lift may lead to cracks. I have never owned a tablet before and don't own any other 'fancy' devices (smartphones, laptops etc). Are construction issues like this fairly common in electronic devices generally speaking?

What does everyone else think?

Upvote 0
Hey pygmy, welcome to AF! We have a pretty good discussion thread going on regarding screen lift, so I went ahead and merged it into this thread.

Your question is a good one, and here is my thinking on this. The glued down screen is better protected inside the bezel, where the lifted one has an edge exposed. Also since it is deformed a little (lifted in the middle on the left), any internal stresses won't be quite uniform, which could cause a concentration at the highest point of the glass. Also since it is loose, it will be subject to cyclical loading (constantly being pushed down and back up) which could lead to a fatigue crack. So yes, I would say it IS possible to see this happen more often with a lifted screen. But how much more often is the question, I imagine it will still be rare in absolute terms.

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
My story is much like others. Hadn't really noticed any lift until I looked very carefully. Much to my dismay there was some slight lift on the left side. I initiated an exchange yesterday. Well...I just received it and indeed it's worse than the original; actually lift on both sides. Going to send back the replacement today and hold on to my original for a while. I imagine no one is having too much success with tightening the screws eh?

Upvote 0
My story is much like others. Hadn't really noticed any lift until I looked very carefully. Much to my dismay there was some slight lift on the left side. I initiated an exchange yesterday. Well...I just received it and indeed it's worse than the original; actually lift on both sides. Going to send back the replacement today and hold on to my original for a while. I imagine no one is having too much success with tightening the screws eh?

unfortunately, you are not going to be able to hold onto the original. They will ask for it back, you will have to keep the replacement.

Upvote 0
unfortunately, you are not going to be able to hold onto the original. They will ask for it back, you will have to keep the replacement.

I wondered about that. I had ordered through the Office Depot Business Direct, and I have both here on my desk. Once I call customer service back to order another replacement there won't be any way they can pry my original from my hands until I have one that is acceptable. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones