Who has taken back their Droid X?Support

Last Updated:

1. grizzledizz

grizzledizz Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone had the incredibly difficult love-hate relationship I've had with my Droid X? I'm on my third one. The first one would get super hot and reboot itself. The second one had dead pixels (I made sure it was hardware). And now the third's battery life is horrible and it gets very warm in my pocket. I made sure I turned my GPS off and deleted some apps that seemed to access data more than others. No difference.

I love the phone... when it works. I feel like I'm using Windows Mobile again. I loved my Touch Pro 2 when it wasn't being dumb.

I'm considering taking this back to VZW. I don't know what I'd get in exchange...

Advertisement
  2. orcsbane13

orcsbane13 Well-Known Member

I can't use any motorola widgets w/o this phone slowing down to a crawl and several times a day my data connection freezes. Only way to fix it has been a reboot or go into airplane mode. Have done a factory reset several times, no dice. So i've been debating taking this back and get an incredible.

3. grizzledizz

Yeah. I've thought the same thing. I've also just considered using a Blackberry Bold since they're rock solid reliable and the battery can go for days on one charge. Probably not gonna do that though. It'd be tough to give up all these sweet features.

4. krichek

krichek Well-Known Member

I returned mine on day 15. Thought it was outstanding and was going to be THE phone for me. Then I spent some time with the Vibrant on TMobile, was a much better fit for me.

5. ericnail

ericnail Well-Known Member

I feel like its writers that people who returned their phones would be reading these forums.. Maybe that's just me.

To the above, if you are having problems, there's a good chance its only your phone, try to get a new one. Also, perhaps before returning, wait for the 2.2 release. If toy got your X on opening day, you have until Aug. 15th to return your phone ;)

6. orcsbane13

actually it's 30 days so I have until the 13th. I'm trying to wait till 2.2 but that dead line is creeping up.

7. krichek

krichek Well-Known Member

I only had 15 days since I paid retail at Walmart. :(

8. HauntedHallows

HauntedHallows Well-Known Member

why do i have a hard time believing someone could get 3 bad phones in a row? Are you leaving your phone in a hot car, dropping it in the toilet, or throwing it at your significant other.... lets look at the real issue here!

9. orcsbane13

some people just have bad luck. Over the last year I have gone through 2 lg voyagers, should have been 2 envy touches but I decided not to return one and rough it out till I got the eris. Gone through 3 of them and am now having problems with my X. Lol I have no luck with my phones.

10. grizzledizz

Yeah I can't believe it either. The first two I think were flukes. It seems like this 3rd device is simply battery life, but I really can't figure out the drain. I have 2 batteries and both do the same thing.

I unplugged the phone to go get drinks tonight around 9:30pm. When I got home at midnight I was at 40% after 1 2-minute phone call and 7-10 texts. I have GPS, WiFi, and Bluetooth all turned off. Screen brightness is as low as it can go. I noticed via Spare Parts that ESPN ScoreCenter used (more) data than anything else so I uninstalled it. Still no go...

I'm quickly losing faith and I only have a week 'til I can't return. Sure I could unload it on eBay for $500, but am I sure that something's not wrong with it?

11. Stealthman

Stealthman Well-Known Member

You can improve your battery life significantly if you lower the screen brightness, manage your widgets and use ATK. It has made a world of difference for me

12. ucla2042

ucla2042 Well-Known Member

user error, not phones fault... the battery tend to get a little hot maybe one of your apps is constantly sucking 3g service

13. kkwan77

kkwan77 Well-Known Member

......taken back? Nope, only exchanged for a certified-like new swap which resolved all the problems I had on my new unit. :D

14. dahacker

dahacker Active Member

Trash all of your widgets and then let us know how it goes. Also don't use ATK.

15. grizzledizz

My screen brightness is set to minimum at all times. I removed all but my clock widget to test.

Right, which is why I turned off data. I removed the apps that used the most data to test out things. It didn't get better.

Already did. And I don't use ATK.

16. grizzledizz

It's been interesting to me that they already have 'Like-New' swaps. haha

17. nofez

nofez Active Member

Whenever I see "phone runs hot" the first thing I think of is "weak signal". What's your usual signal strength (in dBm, not in bars)?

18. TheBarron

TheBarron Well-Known Member

Mine gets disconcertingly warm/hot from regular usage.

19. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

mine will be going back.. just haven't figured out what to get in place. This is super laggy for me. I don't have any widgets on any panels.

20. dahacker

dahacker Active Member

I used to be right there with you. My phone wouldn't last 6 hours just sitting in my pocket.

I got a new battery from Verizon and all is well. One thing I did do differently at the request of the tech guy was the first time I let the battery completely discharge before charging it fully. Now that is completely different than recommended for every other Lion battery I have ever owned. But I'm an Aerospace Engineer, not a battery engineer, so YMMV.

On the new battery, the phone lasts 36 hours with my usage. My usage is as follows:

- Battery Saver Mode
    - No widgets except some of the Motorola switching ones, some quick dialing ones, and Beautiful widgets.
    - Auto Brightness
    - GPS ON
    - Spareparts is reporting Screen On 16.3% of the 36 hours
    - Spareparts is reporting Wifi On 6.6% of the 36 hours
    - Spareparts is reporting Bluetooth on 10% of the 36 hours.

Since I've had a bad and a good battery, and have experimented significantly, I can tell you that the Brightness setting and the GPS settings are fairly negligible to the overall battery life. I can tell that the FEW that are having battery problems here are focusing on those settings and I would recommend looking elsewhere given my screen being on for almost 6 hours of the 36 with no problems set to auto brightness.

What I'm saying is to stop struggling with the settings. If your phone isn't making it with the screen on for nearly 6 hours, then demand a new battery from Verizon, because the phone can definitely do it.

21. TheBarron

TheBarron Well-Known Member

Probably because you had it in one of the battery savers modes. Which mostly serve to make your fast phone slower.

22. moondrius

moondrius Well-Known Member

I am on my 4th droid x and the rep pushed up my upgrade date for the trouble.

23. lakai113

lakai113 Well-Known Member

i have had no problems with mine at all..
    im starting to think its user error that is causing the problems..

24. jbhumph

jbhumph Well-Known Member

Got mine on launch day and still LOVE it :) Honestly, the best phone I've ever had, IMO....and I came from the iPhone

25. bostoniansurvivor

bostoniansurvivor Well-Known Member

Couldn't ask for a better phone has been my experience with the X. I came from a droid and I've had a large number of other phones in the past. Nothing is even in the same league for my needs.