Last Updated:

1. flippy1974

flippy1974 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

2. lakai113

lakai113 Well-Known Member

dont need one

3. flippy1974

i wish i didnt but dont want to live in the city att put a new tower close to me but verizon wont probally wont get on it for a long time .

4. kg6epf

kg6epf Well-Known Member

Never tried the Wilson, but have installed several of the zBoost units in different buildings and found them to work great. Basically it gives you the same signal inside as you have wherever you have the antenna mounted outside. The installation was kinda tricky for office buildings since they don't want the unit or the outside antenna next to anything metal, but for a residence I think it would be easy.

Trouble with the zBoost unit is it's about $350.00 for the one that really works best.

If you get one and have installation questions, PM me. I'm glad to try and help but not gonna turn this into some fanboi or advertising post.

5. kg6epf

kg6epf Well-Known Member

Reading up on the Wilson product, looks to be the same kind of device as the zBoost and will have the same installation problems.

Before you buy it, plan on how/where you are going to run at least 25' of coax, and where you will mount the exteranl antenna. They describe an inside window mount, but I can almost guarantee that you won't be happy with the performance if you do that. The transmitter (looks like a wireless router) has to be as far as possible from the external antenna (horizontally and vertically). If they are too close, the transmitter signal will reach the external antenna. If the device senses that the inside transmitter signal is reaching the outside antenna, it reduces power and becomes much less effective (range and signal strength).

Not sure if that makes sense, but I haven't finished my coffee. Follow those installation tips and you'll probably be very happy with either one.

flippy1974 likes this.
  6. flippy1974

thanks man im probally going to order the wilson unit mon . im going to mont it ontop of my garage witch is 20 ft tall and i get 3 bars but the dbs are low in the 90 s thinking about a amplifier to help out to .

7. flippy1974

i bought it and the extra ant the recommended and works perfect ! brings in the verizon and att to full bars ! love it .

8. mruno

mruno Well-Known Member

9. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

I bought a zBoost model and after I installed the external antenna in my attic as a test, the status lights indicated that the signal at the external antenna was too strong. Maybe I misunderstood the troubleshooting guide. Moving the external antenna to a lower position next to a metal HVAC duct eliminated the problem, but may have also eliminated the usefulness of the unit.

I get an OK signal on the first floor of my house, but the base of the unit is in the basement.