who has tried the latest FireFox beta on their desire?

Last Updated:

1. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer This Topic's Starter

What did you think?

Much better than alpha where I couldn't even use a keyboard.

Couple of niggles so far. Typing is not easy and also spelling correction doesn't work for me.

Text wrapping Is also a huge miss...

Advertisement
  2. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Well-Known Member

tried it. didn't like it.

took longer to start up than the stock browser. got it to sync with my pc but it took too many clicks to find my favourites.

i might give it another go if it gets another revision.

3. williamj1

williamj1 Well-Known Member

As a desktop firefox user, I was very excited about it's release. However, my experience was very negative.

- Took significantly longer to load almost every page than stock browser!
    - Took up 40-50ish mb which in my pre root / froyo sd days was ridiculous for a browser which brought no improvements.

Will redowload in future to see if improvements have bee made, but currently, too slow!

4. 1500cc

1500cc Well-Known Member

Yeah, same impression as williamj1 here ... a 40 MB browser? F that. Even after trying to move it to the SD card it still kept over 30 MB on the phone. When the Dolphin browser is pretty much equally as capable as Firefox at one-tenth the size, it makes it a no-brainer.

Sad thing is, I can't imagine how they could ever get it to a reasonable size without starting over, so Firefox will never gain a foothold in the Android market.

5. Red_Avatar

Red_Avatar Well-Known Member

Dolphin is bloated as hell and sucks more CPU & battery power than a hooker sucks ... you know. I ditched Dolphin after a single week of usage.

Instead I use the much-better Xscope - it's much lighter, doesn't have all the bloated stuff, has a sleeker interface, is very fast, etc. Only problem is that it tends to "click" on stop while zooming. Plus, Flash plays more smoothly than in Dolphin.

Of all browers, Xscope does things the best. The standard browser lacked some basic features and wasn't all that user friendly. Dolphin added features but the way it handles bookmarks, the way it slows down my phone, decreases battery life, etc. Xscope lets me view all sites properly.

6. StoneDeCroze

StoneDeCroze Well-Known Member

Tried it for about 10 minutes, after spending half an hour deleting apps so it would install. I'm now back to stock browser or Opera depending on my mood.

7. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer This Topic's Starter

You have to remember, its only really HTC phones that suffer from limited internal memory. And not even all HTC phones at that. Most android phones have loads of internal storage

... but yeah, currently its a waste of space. Shame, I love ff om my desktop

8. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

its confusing lagfest of crap. its worse than the original opera beta that you needed java engine to run

uttlerly dissapointed

9. 1500cc

1500cc Well-Known Member

I didn't know that ... is it just that HTC is stingy with the memory, or do other phones somehow manage it better?