Who here is having GREAT signal strength and call quality?General

Last Updated:

1. dt_

dt_ Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

With all the doom and gloom threads around here it makes one feel that the phone is a complete dud and no one is getting good signal strength. "If you hold the phone wrong your dBm signal strength drops by 20!" "The battery doesn't last through the day!" etc. etc.

I know usually it's a "vocal minority" thing but the sheer volume of complaints on this forum is worrying me.
    Is anyone here having a more or less flawless experience with the Incredible as far as phone calls are concerned? I.e. are you getting good 3G reception as compared with prior phones you've had on VZW and so forth?

I am really REALLY on the fence between the Incredible and the Motorola Droid and I don't want to regret getting the Inc if these problems are blown out of proportion... :/

Advertisement
  2. NewPepper

NewPepper Well-Known Member

I get great reception, signal, and battery life. For instance, I was in a location this evening where my DI had 57 dBm and 3 bars while my blackberry had 80 dBm and 5 bars. So like folkds have said here, number of bars is not relevant and you can see that the signal strength on the DI was far better than the BB. I've checked this in other locations as well and the BB is usually a little worse but at best the same.

3. owlmatt

owlmatt Well-Known Member

After getting my 2nd Incredible I now having great quality. Whew...did not want to use my Eris again.

4. dt_

What happened to your first one?

5. mikewashere05

mikewashere05 Well-Known Member

I get good voice clarity, I just find that instead of quality degrading if I go in a spot with low service it just cuts in and out. No static.

6. hooy

hooy Member

I have had no problems with clarity or reception that aren't to be expected (nobody on any network gets great service in my office, for instance). My battery usually still has plenty left over at the end of the day. I don't know what the gloomy threads are all about. Some people are never happy I guess.

7. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

Call quality aint great for me but signal strength is great.

8. VelociT

VelociT Member

It's been my experience thus far with the DI that call quality is very good. My previous VZW phone was an LG VX11000, the Incredible sounds far superior. The signal strength bar display on the DI does appear low at times, but it seems to work great regardless. I'm pleased with the device, and for sure have a great time using it.

9. phareous

phareous Active Member

I've had no problems with mine

10. kmoore11

kmoore11 Well-Known Member

Call quality and signal strength have been excellent for me as well. No complaints here.

11. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

My signal is not great - usually around -90 TBH, but I have yet to make/receive a call where I couldn't clearly understand the other person and vice-versa. My main calls are to/from my wife, who has an Eris with the same "issues", and while it's not land-line clear, it's not the worst wireless experience I have had by any means...

12. esn

esn Well-Known Member

I am a heavy user and I have had my incredible since the 26th with zero issues what so ever. Call quality and reciption is awesome. Again I am a heavy user It's not a toy for me.

13. vzwuser76

vzwuser76 Well-Known Member

My reception is okay, but I live in a spotty area and a house with steel siding on it. I have had two dropped calls in around a week and a half, but that is with my signal bars at 0-1 and signal level at 95-105, otherwise call quality has been good. It does about the same as my Moto Entice (flip phone) which usually had 1-2 bars, and people say I sound much better than on my Entice, so would say my situation has more to do with my area and less with the phone.

14. aesirx

aesirx Active Member

My reception and call quality has been identical to my droid. Actually, my Inc call experience has been better, because my Droid face dialed a few times, and my Inc has not done this. The only issue I have had is the camera freezes regularly. As soon as I have a steinheil crystal in hands I will swap my Inc out.

15. emmalina

emmalina Well-Known Member

everything perfect here...call quality and signal....never out of it so far...but I have to mention that sometimes the ringing noise when I call someone is kinda dull/vibrating?! never had that on my BB.....

16. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

I don't quite understand what you mean by a dull/vibrating ringing noise.

17. potterdood

potterdood Well-Known Member

I have had mine since last Friday and I haven't dropped a call, or not been able to hear the other person, my only problem/concerns have no place in this thread, lol...hope your problems get fixed, but the phone has been amazing for me thus far...

18. SeattleYanksFan

SeattleYanksFan Well-Known Member

Call quality and signal strength has been damn near perfect for the last 11 days.

19. rabernet

rabernet Well-Known Member

I don't even pay attention to the bars or the dBm on mine - if I did, I'd be a nervous wreck (1 bar and average of -95).

Instead, I pay attention to the actual performance of mine. My calls have been crystal clear for both myself and those who I talk to. I really like the speaker feature and when I'm in private or driving, I use that over holding the phone to my ear - and no one complains about difficulties in hearing me.

My 100 year old grandmother, who wears a hearing aid said that it's the first phone I've called her on where she can actually hear me.

As far as the other functionality of the phone - it works flawlessly for me! Best phone I've ever had the pleasure of owning!

20. Spyder_old

Spyder_old Member

Wait a minute! call quality? you mean this thing has a phone too! SWEET! LOL. Of the few phone calls I have made, call quality was good. But, I mostly use texting, web, email etc. My Inc typically has less bars that my BB world (work phone). But the lower bars do not seem to effect performance.

21. XxICEMAN720xX

XxICEMAN720xX Well-Known Member

I live in a very rural area.

I used to have T-mobile and only had service in town.

Now I have reception everywhere. Even when I have no bars, I can still make crystal clear calls. I usually have -105dBm and zero bars in some areas and can still make crystal clear calls.

I lose connection where other verizon customers lose connection (dead spot).

Example- my fiance has a lgVoyager and her and I both lose service in same location on a back road deep in a valley. =) I am impressed with everything.

Q*****is there anyway to get the dbm where i can read it (like next to my bars?)******

22. dt_

glad to hear the positive stories as well :D

I'm using an LG enV 3 right now. Does anyone here have one of those to compare the DI to? :p

23. Bundy

Bundy Well-Known Member

Phenominal call quality here = I don't care what my signal bar says. Battery...meh.

24. mas90guru

mas90guru Well-Known Member

Just got my DI which I plan to replace my Moto Droid with.

Signal strength definitely is a few bars less than the Moto Droid.

Call quality is better than the Droid

Call quality is not better than my Nexus One

Overall I'd rate the audio quality as good+

25. Dobieg

Dobieg Well-Known Member

Great reception and call quality here. Much better call quality than my MOTO Droid. Reception is about the same.