• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who is actually using the front camera and how are you using it?

vudu

May 24, 2010
I'm trying to decide on how much I will really use the front facing camera, as it is the main feature that draws me to the EVO compared to other Android phones. So if you actually have been using it beyond just firing it up to test out, can you share your experience and how it is coming in handy for you? Any issues with Sprint's 3G (i won't have 4G) speeds when doing video calls?

Thanks.

Thanks for the responses so far. Let me clarify...I know it's primary use is for video chat, but are people really doing video chat? And aside from video chatting with your significant other (no details needed) or kids, are people actually using it with their friends/other family members?

Upvote 0
I haven't used a phone to talk to family in about 2 years. I've been using skype exclusively. My parents and other relatives all have webcams and skype. I haven't used the FFC too much for that since I haven't taken any major trips yet, but that's what I use it for.
I have used it a couple times from home so I could go upstairs with the kids so the grandparents could be more involved in playtime.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses so far. Let me clarify...I know it's primary use is for video chat, but are people really doing video chat? And aside from video chatting with your significant other (no details needed) or kids, are people actually using it with their friends/other family members?

I travel quite a bit for work as well as maintain offices worldwide - I use Fring/Skype-to-Skype almost on a daily basis and when I do, it's usually more than once per day, with calls lasting from 5 minutes to a half hour.

Works great - suitable for maintaining professional communications. Great audio and video quality.

Now just as just as like to my phone as my laptop - and because of resource loading and overuse - the phone is most often more clear than my laptop, according to feedback.

Because it's Skype, it can only to any video-capable Skype contact - on another phone, on a desktop, platform independent.

Another handy little app - Mirror For EVO.

How much you'll use it is up to you - but it's NOT a cheap afterthought.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones