• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who is buying the OnePlus One?

Will you be purchasing the OnePlus One

• Yes! Take my money!

Votes: 29 51.8%
  • Most likely, but not right away

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • No, I'm not interested

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Not in the market for a new phone right now

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • If my carrier supported it

Votes: 4 7.1%

• Total voters
How is the voice quality and loudness? Radio reception? How do you get an invite?
For me call quality is great. Loudness is terrible. I can barely hear callers. However I heard this was recently fixed in a version of CM11 so we should be getting an update soon. I know you didn't ask me but I got my update at random. Just posted I was thinking of buying the phone from oppomart and a guy offered to send me a invite. It seems to be a luck/right place, right time situation

Upvote 0
Has anyone actually received this tomorrow update that fixes in call volume and confirmed it? I don't really like the OPO forums, so I intend to bug people here as much as possible :D
My phone doesn't have the call volume issue, but I'm still waiting for the update thanks to the Google Play Services wakelock bug. When they have started distributing the update, I'm sure it will show up here immediately:

https://cyngn.com/products/oneplusone/

Upvote 0
My phone doesn't have the call volume issue, but I'm still waiting for the update thanks to the Google Play Services wakelock bug. When they have started distributing the update, I'm sure it will show up here immediately:

have you tried settings - privacy - privacy guard - advanced - google play services - "keep awake" to denied?

Upvote 0
Just got the update yesterday,not sure what improvements are on-board.

CYANOOGENMOD Version:11.0-XNPH25R (Dated 8/7/2014)

Does not break root,so,go for it. :thumb:
Interesting... This is the same version as my software, which is dated 7/2. System update is telling me that it's up to date.

Upvote 0
Interesting... This is the same version as my software, which is dated 7/2. System update is telling me that it's up to date.

I'll look for the source that has this dated 8/7/14.

EDIT:

Here's what I was talking about as for an 8/7/2014 Update (see last line of post):

CyanogenMod 11S | OnePlus One | XDA Forum

Could just be a note regarding the latest update to the OP,but,the way it's formatted,it appears it's describing the build date.

My thoughts were the same when viewing SETTINGS > ABOUT PHONE,seeing what you're seeing,a July Build date.

I could be mistaken,as I've been modding/ROMMING two phones that share a lot of characteristics (1+1 & OF7).

I did a total re-install of the stock recovery & firmware yesterday,as I was having issues w/a SuperSu version from a tool kit that was stuck in system,but,did not fully root the phone.

Prolly coulda fixed it,but,it was quicker to wipe everything & start over.

As I loaded up the stock ROM,I was immediately prompted to an update,which I installed.

Then,about three hours later,w/Bootloader unlocked/TWRP Installed & full root w/SuperSu 2.01,was when the 2nd update prompt appeared,for the xxxxxxxx25 build.

It updated w/no problem,still have root.
As I stated,I could be mistaken as having a "new" update,but,at least an update was installed w/o breaking root.

Since rooting/ROMMING doesn't void any warranties,I'd say we're safe to move forward w/any future updates w/o the worry of breaking root.

Reactions: CafeKampuchia
Upvote 0
So I switch phones every 6 months or so out of boredom and curiosity. I currently have a Nokia 1020 and I am just plain sick of the lack of apps for Windows even with Windows 8.1 nearing. I was first looking at a Nexus 5, Moto X/X +1, or the OnePlus. I love the size of the Moto X but at $299 new off contract or $200-$275 used I felt like I could get a newer and better phone for the same price or little more. The Nexus 5 has very good specs and obviously has the advantage of being a Vanilla stock Android phone with prompt updates but it's sub par battery and middling camera worried me plus you pay more and get less compared to the OnePlus.

So I am getting the OnePlus One, great awesome lets move on right? I am still pretty pissed even after a few months of scouring and campaigning to get an invite I never got one. This left me with a few other choices: buy an invite off Craigslist or Ebay for $25-$50 or buy it used for a slightly higher price. Not wanting to contribute to the elitist invite system anymore I decided to buy a mint OnePlus One 64 GB for $400. Yes I paid $50 more than a Nexus 32 GB but yet again I am getting 32 more GB and yes I paid $50 more than a new OnePlus One but yet again I would be forced to pay $25-$50 just to get an invite.

So a couple complaints I have heard about the phone: yellow screen. This doesn't bother me as much as it might others since this happened on the iPhone 4 phones and it mostly went away over time once the glue settled. The second is support. OnePlus is a young company but I have heard horror stories of poor customer service. Yes the phone is only $299 but that doesn't mean customer service has be rock bottom as well. My biggest complaint is the invite system. Having too much demand is a good problem but OnePlus is going about it all wrong. OnePlus is loosing money on their phones so you would think they would be excited to see people wanting to buy and pay for their phones. Yet OnePlus will not take your order and backorder the phone rather you need to get an invite. I am no ceo but a big part of business is cash flow and OnePlus is knowingly loosing money so they can build up brand loyalty to build a strong reputation versus other flagship phones, yet how can they do this when they aren't allowing people to feel welcomed to buy their phones? Yes I understand quantities are limited, so limited that the phone is basically made just for you once ordered, but lets say 50k people order the $350 64 GB phone. Backorder the phone which I think most people will be comfortable with and you have millions of dollars to ramp up production with without isolating customers.

My last comment is size. I am still a little hesitant about the size. I used to own a Note 3 and only got rid of it because of its massive size. The OnePlus is slightly smaller but not by much. Hopefully the small size difference and the gestures can make up for the large size.

Overall happy to go back to Android soon and I will update you all on my OnePlus One experience

Upvote 0
I think people are crazy to nitpick over the OnePlus One not having a SD slot, or thinner bezels, etc since at $350 you get 64 GB and it has specs that trump a Note 3.

BUT

To answer your question I don't think there is a problem on demand or price but rather who can buy it since all sales are through invites only. I just ordered mine but I had to revert to buying preowned off of swappa for $400. Its a shame a company will not take my Amex card even if you beg them to. Elitist weird and will be their downfall for business growth since every business no matter if its making money or loosing money depends on cash flow.

Upvote 0
Overall happy to go back to Android soon and I will update you all on my OnePlus One experience

WELCOME TO ANDROID FORUMS jrasero23 ! :party:

I'm in agreement w/you,finding fault w/this phone is difficult,whether it's priced @ $350 or $650,bar any lemons that may slip through the proverbial cracks,it happens w/all mfgs.

Looking forward to your review of the device & we have a thread just for such,when you're ready:

http://androidforums.com/oneplus-one/860299-oneplus-one-user-reviews.html

Once again,Welcome To ANDROID FORUMS! :thumb:

Reactions: confed
Upvote 0
Right back at ya! :thumbup:

Looks like 7/11 is the day.
I'll take a quick look at the few noted concerns I've read about (possible yellowish screen tint,overall volume & call volume quality) & try to follow-up a day or two later w/a more thorough look-see.

Got mine two days ago. So far, no issues.
Two questions: I only show two themes. How do I get more?
How can I access developer options in the menu?
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Love the phone!

Upvote 0
Got mine two days ago. So far, no issues.
Two questions: I only show two themes. How do I get more?
How can I access developer options in the menu?
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Love the phone!

Glad you're enjoying the 1+1 mrnyjet !

As for getting additional themes:
Go to SETTINGS > THEMES > THEME PACKS & in the upper right hand corner,you should see GET MORE.
Tap on that & you'll be linked to more themes.
You'll find that once you select "Purchase" for a theme,whether paid or free,will link you to the GOOGLE PLAY STORE for download.

As for enabling Developer Options, go to SETTINGS > ABOUT PHONE & scroll down to BUILD NUMBER.

Tap on that 7 times & you'll see a pop-up that states DEVELOPER OPTIONS has been enabled.

Back out to SETTINGS & you'll see DEVELOPER OPTIONS @ the bottom of the page.

Upvote 0
My last comment is size. I am still a little hesitant about the size. I used to own a Note 3 and only got rid of it because of its massive size. The OnePlus is slightly smaller but not by much. Hopefully the small size difference and the gestures can make up for the large size.

I have both an OPO and Note 3.

If you didn't like the size of a Note 3, you're certainly not going to like the OPO with its huge bezels and smaller display.

Although it's a couple of millimeters narrower, the height makes carrying it harder. Initially OP promised a 5.5" display in a compact body like the LG G3, too bad they failed and couldn't live up to that claim.

Here's specifics

Size Comparison

152.9 x 75.9 x 8.9 mm OnePlus 1 - 5.5"
151.2 x 79.2 x 8.3*mm Note 3 - 5.7"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones