• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who is going to drop the DX for the Iphone?

Is this a serious question? Or are you just trolling?

Very serious.

I've had and continue to have problems with my Droid X. I have been experiencing a level of frustration that I did not expect. When I heard yesterday about the Iphone coming to Verizon, I really wondered whether I am alone or whether other people are experiencing similar frustration and whether it has reached a level to a point that they would consider making the switch. As another poster said, it would be nice to just have a phone that just works.

Upvote 0
I won't be switching. Smaller screen, slower processor, less memory, non expandable memory, less battery life, non exchangeable battery, no widgets, notifications suck, no true multi-tasking, limits on folders, no tethering, worse antenna and reception, not as good of noise cancellation, no hdmi, worse camera (now with 2.2), no flash, no sweeterhome...

nah, i'll keep my droid x. i will only be swapping my phones for better android phones since they come out every 3 months. Since tech is my hobby it's great. Poor iphone users stuck with the same piece of hardware for 12 months. Sad they are such slowpokes today :(

THIS IS ALL THAT NEEDS TO BE SAID...

/thread

Upvote 0
I live in a city with a high smart phone user base and Verizon's network already has some congestion issues. Tier 2 tech support has stated that network capacity has been maximized and no more can be added until 4G goes online.
While not to the point of being unusable, 3g speeds here can vary from 500kbs to 1.7mbs. So you can imagine my level of enthusiasm at the prospect of the Iphone coming to Verizon and the masses of new users it will add.

With that said, no, unless it's significantly upgraded when my 1yr contact runs out I will not be switching. Although one thing is certain, my next phone will have the ability to be fully unlocked and on a network with good data speed.

Upvote 0
Not me. But if the new iphone is LTE ready, and if you are in one of the cities verizon is rolling out LTE, I would imagine some will. It would be highly dependent on whether the iphone will be LTE ready or if there will be any decent LTE capable androids. But where i live, I wont see that until 2013, so no iphone ever for me. Its not that i hate apple as I have both a macbook and ipad and really like them, especially the ipad, its the fact they have too much control over any app getting into their devices.

Upvote 0
I am a incredible fanboy that only popped in these forums to check out how the custom rom scene was coming along for a friend. That being said I think the x is the second best phone on verizon and it would take a lot more than the iphone is currently offering to take that spot from the x. If someone ever gives me an iphone I will gladly trade it for an x. I won't trade back when you realize I screwed you either because you should have been smart enough to know better.

Upvote 0
no way in hell will i ever go back to a screen thats less that 4" haha. the only thing the iPhone has on the X is iTunes and thats def not worth the trade.... hopefully google will release a music/app sync tool. that would make android perfect

i use isyncer to get my music from itunes on to my dx it works great i havent used my itouch in months

Upvote 0
I've been thrilled with my DX since ditching my iPhone 3G. Granted the 4 is a different story, but it's still Apple's damn walled garden. Apple is just Microsoft with a goatee and tattoo. What is the fascination? Android is awesome and is evolving so rapidly. iPhone used to have a huge differentiator, but now I just don't know what it is. Can someone tell me?

Upvote 0
I let my iPhone go for my X. I loved my iPhone but was ready for something more. I love how customizable my X is and the larger screen is the perfect size, IMO. Great clarity, great size, right weight, very slim....it has it all!

When a NEW iPhone comes out on Verizon, I would be very interested in learning more about it...but right now, there isn't a phone that exists that I'd choose over my X :)

I'm in the same boat; I got rid of my iPhone 3G S [after having it since launch] for the Droid X. At first, I wasn't very happy - My first Droid X had a few problems and I REALLY disliked the whole setup\UI of it. After getting a replacement, and after using it for a little over a month, I am VERY happy with it. There are things I can do on the DX that I could never do on my iPhone, and everything I could do on my iPhone I can do on my DX...

The few things I like about the iPhone over the DX is the retina display.
I'm a photographer and use my phone for many impromptu showings of my portfolio\work, and my photos look MUCH nicer on the iPhone's retina display, then on the DX.
I also dislike the mp3 system [I use Doubletwist] - I use my DX as my mp3 player (the iPhone got me way too attached to the whole "all-in-one" thing), and no matter what music app I use, it just doesn't feel natural to me.

Back on topic; No. I will not go for the iPhone. When I'm up for an upgrade, there will be a new Droid that will surpass the iPhone - That's how it works. I also agree with what others have said; I am really starting to hate Apple's snobby attitude, and their cheap\false attacks.

Upvote 0
When the first iPhone came out Apple made what we have today! If it were not for them then all we would have is crappy windows mobile phones, crappy blackberry's, Palm junk, the list goes on....

People if it were not for apple we would not have pinch zoom (even thou only in some apps), etc.... (maybe someone else created it, I do not care, Apple made a very useful product out of it at least)

Look microcrap is going to shove their stolen Ideas with mobile 7!
What great innovation has MS gave us?

Look at the iPad my wife uses it every single night, look at all the pad type devices that came out in the past, JUNK!!!!!

If it was not for APPLE we would not have these Droid X's, or maybe we would but defiantly not as good as they are, the others would still be making their crap and we all would be stuck with it!

The iPhone has set the bar very high AND THANK GOD!!!! And thank Apple.

I know we could expand on what I just said but so what.

I would love to get an iPhone if and only IF it ever comes out with a big screen 4.3" or larger, I do not think I am interested (at least right now) on downgrading my screen size.

I do (as of now) love my Droid X and all the custom stuff that can be done (hopefully moto gets rid of the locks on this phone)

Good Luck to ALL!!!!
I am sorry if I offended anyone in any way shape or form.

Upvote 0
Dfran1 I actually agree with you and have said the same thing many times around this forum. Apple lit the torch and kicked off an entirely new wave of smartphones and I too am greatful for their contribution to todays technology. I just don't agree with their business philosophy of governing the whole system, not trusting the consumer base to do what they want with their phone.

Now, the same thing is happening to Android devices, but not because Google doesn't trust us, but because the carriers don't. So my money is going to vote for Android to not only survive, but to leap ahead of Apple to teach Steve Jobs that we the consumer demand software freedom. He has a great product, his family isn't going to go hungry for the next dozen centuries or so, but I'm only greatful for the technology behind the iPhone, not the way the company is run.

Seems as though I'm going to have to vote with my money for a different manufacturer now that Motorola has gone the way of Apple though. I still have quite a bit of time left with this phone, but once Google comes out with the Nexus 2 or something with a 4+ inch screen, I'm leaving Moto for good.

Hasta la vista baby!

Upvote 0
I won't be switching. Smaller screen, slower processor, less memory, non expandable memory, less battery life, non exchangeable battery, no widgets, notifications suck, no true multi-tasking, limits on folders, no tethering, worse antenna and reception, not as good of noise cancellation, no hdmi, worse camera (now with 2.2), no flash, no sweeterhome...

nah, i'll keep my droid x. i will only be swapping my phones for better android phones since they come out every 3 months. Since tech is my hobby it's great. Poor iphone users stuck with the same piece of hardware for 12 months. Sad they are such slowpokes today :(

Well said. All of the reasons that this former iPhone owner (and Blackberry, and Palm too) will stay with a rooted droid. With luck there will be something like the DX available with 4G.

Upvote 0
My Biggest problems with X: IT FREEZzzzes All the time. Camera/Gallery Freeze up, Apps Freeze up, pretty much everything Freezes. AND THIS IS MY 3rd DX. I have to pull the battery out to make it work. And have HARD-RESET it once already, therefore loosing all the DATA and APPS. (Contacts were saved due to Google).

I may not change it for iphone. But I don't hear iphone freezing up. But I'm surely keeping a close watch for the iphone. Besides, it has accessories like there's no tomorrow. It works with everything on the market. Hummmm... Thinkin'....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones