Who owns the Nexus S, Samsung or Google?

1. IndivisibleP

IndivisibleP Well-Known Member

I am wondering who "owns this phone", Samsung or Google?

And what I mean is, take for instance the Nexus One, it was manufactured by HTC for Google i.e Google paid for them and owned all the devices and all the profits went to Google with no risk to HTC. But with the Nexus S I wonder if it is the same situation. One thing is Eric Schmidt said after the Nexus One Google would be bowing out of smartphone market. And secondly when he had the phone before it was announced and was asked about it, he immediately said "Google doesn't make phones/devices". I am just wondering if Google commissioned these from the manufacturer in the same way they did the N1 or if it is actually Samsung who owns the phone but has come to some other sort of agreement with Google where they allowed the phone to remain pure Google without Samsungs crap on it.

One thing that does lend me to believe google does own it though, is the sheer lack of material advertising. If it was Samsung I immagine they would do what all companies do and advertise. Google on the other hand I immagine would be satisfied making a music video in another language with people wearing mismatched socks looking at their feet, and call it a day. I wish they would push for the commercial success of unpolluted Android more, hardware options are sparse at this stage...

Advertisement
  2. czechplastik

czechplastik Well-Known Member

To be honest I've seen a lot of online marketing from Google. They advertise to their target market.
  3. IndivisibleP

IndivisibleP Well-Known Member

Yeah, its true. I know they have put more of an effort into it than the Nexus One but its still only really going to catch a techie crowd. I wish they would try for more commercial success and the general consumer market. The more people that are aware the more it will pressure these shit companies to stop gimping the devices with their shit skins or at least keep them up to date. People are being shorted because Google wont step up and represent themselves as competitive alternatives to the conniving manufacturers.
  4. B2L

B2L Well-Known Member

I believe google owns it just like the nexus one. All the advertising i have seen is directly from Google.
  5. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

I don't see why the agreement Google has with Samsung for the Nexus S is any different with their agreement with HTC for the Nexus One.

Google owns the Nexus line. As they are an OS company, they technically do NOT make the phone. So what Schmidt said is true to the letter. They partner up with the OEMs to make the phone to their specifications. They had HTC made the Nexus One and now Samsung to make the Nexus S.

OEMs have the CHOICE and now all have UI on most of their phones instead of selling their phones as a 'pure android'. The whole point of the openess of Android, basically the OEMs can do whatever they like with the Android SDK. They don't have their phones running vanilla Android because they want to differentiate themself from their competitors. Google did NOT tell them that they cannot make a phone that is pure Android, that is their decision.

It's a Google phone because Google is the one that sends out the OS update and NOT Samsung. Other than producing the phone, Samsung has no control over the Nexus S.