• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who plan to get new iphone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ill be returning my Evo...

It's a great device, if the iPhone OS was on it I'd definitely keep it, but Android OS is pretty dreadful compared to it. That's why I'm getting rid of it. Calendar is annoying to use. FaceBook app for Android is horrible compared to whats offered to the iPhone. Browser is clunky. Sometimes when I click on a link, it will go to something else completely different on that web page. When I double tap to zoom, it cuts off the text that I want to read. Mobile Safari on the iPhone handles double tap to zoom flawlessly. When scrolling, the inertia scrolling will act unpredictable, often jumping around. Music player is slow, doesn't look good (this includes the HTC player, the built in Android player, as well as a couple downloaded from the [hard to use] Android Market). Apps offered in the Market aren't nearly as polished as those offered in Apples App Store. When I receive a text, sometimes it will place the most recent received text above an already received one. The only 2 things I will miss about the Evo are; A: The 4.3" screen (although the iPhone 4's new Retina display, at 960x640 resolution and 326 pixels per inch, is going to look amazing}. B: The kickstand. HTC's battery is horrible compared to my 3Gs's battery, and iPhone 4 has an even larger battery offering up to 40% more talk time than the 3Gs. Shall I go on?
right
for me it just usability
it comparable prises on Sprint and ATT
but I try hard
and my bluetooth, other headsets and my friend still cant hear me clear.
i love sprint 3G speed, and ll love 4g when it ll be on in ny
but , im sorry, Att was better for just calls
id drops time to time, but u can recall
in sprint- i can call and recall as long as u can - people can hear u clear

Upvote 0
I guess the initial price of the EVO is basically comparable to the iPhone, but the monthly ATT cost is greater than Sprint and that quickly adds up over two years. I can get an EVO for $99 whereas a 32Gb 4th Gen iPhone would be $299

As for call signal/dropping - I think it depends on where you are. I am in coastal New England. Sprint is much more reliable than ATT - I have both. My wife's iPhone is constantly dropping calls.

Now that ATT is instantly fixing their bandwidth problems by capping data, the call quality should level off and not continue to drop off - especially if a lot of people also abandon the iPhone for the EVO

Upvote 0
I'm on the sideline for now. I am on a preorder waiting list for 2 EVO's, but am currently an iPhone user wondering which way to go. My biggest concern about the EVO is battery life. I'm not a gamer, not much into the social networking thing, but I do use my phone a lot for email, texting, etc. I travel extensively and don't want to find myself in an airport or other remote location with no phone due to a premature dead battery.

I will continue to monitor forums like this and make a decision once the EVO's arrive in a couple of weeks.

I have been pretty happy since adopting the iPhone way back with the first original 2G, but I really like what I see in the EVO - except the battery.

-Brad

Upvote 0
I don't have an iPhone, but I have an iTouch (my sons old gen2 I think) well anyway going from it to Evo is no comparison and not becasue of the phone ( I use less than 20 minutes a month on my phone).

All I'm missing is a kindle reader on the EVO and the iTouch goes to my youngest son and daughter to play with.

Upvote 0
The iPhone is something I would never buy because of the ATT network. The network sucks and it costs more. The iPhone isn't good enough for me to make that kind of switch.

Now if the phone was on Sprint, then it would probably be a different story. I own an iPod touch and the EVO is really nice, but there is a whole slew of apps that I'm missing. On top of that the animations on the Touch is the difference between elegance and slop.

Smartphones are pretty deep, there are so many menus and functions so its pretty hard to get everything right. But so far the iPhone is the most polished, there's so many little detailed things that the iPhone does that other smartphones fail to address. It could be as simple as copy and paste. A lot of those little things add up.

Upvote 0
Only way I would go back to an iPhone is if showed up on sprint with a wifi tethering hotspot app and a wimax radio. The hardware looks very polished as most Apple products are, but the locked down OS and ATT are simply two big negatives that pushed me to the Evo. It not perfect by any means, but the coverage for me is many times better than ATT and as far as battery life, that's simply understanding Android a bit and realizing the Evo ships with a ton of bloatware that once properly managed the battery life is fine. I am using my normal usage patterns of text, talk, tethering and surfing and pulling an easy 10+ hours of battery and haven't even tested total standby time yet. Overnite I may lose 5 to 10% depending what I have running, widget wise.

There are simply to many issues with ATT to even make a fair judgement on the iPhone vs Evo, from price plan to freedom to do what you want and for me, far better coverage and service. So far no dropped calls, unlimited data tethering etc...

Despite it's build quality issues of a flimsy battery door, I'm happy it's a choice to swap out a battery. The Evo on Sprint vs iPhone on ATT isn't in the same ballpark overall.

You make some good points, but I really don't think it's AT&T, I think it's the iPhone itself. Not that I can claim to know this for certain, since I've only had an iPhone, but where I've had zero reception and dropped calls, my sister's slider phone on the same network has had no problems getting reception and calls.

Upvote 0
I don't know about you, but when im in a call i can do anything on my evo..

I can run anything I want when I'm on a call, but data doesn't work until I hang up. That's when I'm on 3G. If I'm connected to WiFi (no 4G here yet) then I don't have any issue.

It's really not a huge issue for me anyway, but I was on hold the other day for 5 minutes and would've liked to have looked a few things up, send an e-mail, etc. and wasn't able to.

Upvote 0
You make some good points, but I really don't think it's AT&T, I think it's the iPhone itself. Not that I can claim to know this for certain, since I've only had an iPhone, but where I've had zero reception and dropped calls, my sister's slider phone on the same network has had no problems getting reception and calls.

I think it's somehow a combination of both. I agree that I have non-iphone friends with AT&T and they don't have near the amount of issue that I had with my iPhone. However, when I used an unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile I didn't have any of those issues.

Upvote 0
I'm an AT&T iPhone user in NYC. Service here sucks. I drop calls at home, at work, and everywhere in between. Sometimes data connects. Sometimes it doesn't. I've taken the phone to Apple, and they say it's not the hardware, it's the network. Yesterday was the last straw. AT&T botched a 911 call. After work tonight, I'm off to the Sprint store. I've heard horror stories about Sprint. But how much worse could it be than AT&T?

Upvote 0
Just posted about this in another thread but, I came from a 3GS and was psyched about the EVO and my first Android phone. It's been an adjustment to get used to it being not as smooth and I'm not happy with battery life. However, the hardware is better than the iPhone IMO and the larger screen is drool. I'm still 50/50 about keeping the EVO and will all depend on if I like the screen on iPhone 4 when I see it. Also, wondering if their new antenna system will slightly improve AT&T reception.

EDIT: If I had a 100% working Froyo right now to play with it might sway me.

Upvote 0
I'm an AT&T iPhone user in NYC. Service here sucks. I drop calls at home, at work, and everywhere in between. Sometimes data connects. Sometimes it doesn't. I've taken the phone to Apple, and they say it's not the hardware, it's the network. Yesterday was the last straw. AT&T botched a 911 call. After work tonight, I'm off to the Sprint store. I've heard horror stories about Sprint. But how much worse could it be than AT&T?

im in NY too
i i had 3gs
and it all depends on cell spots at work or at home
with att i cant use my phone at home
with sprint i cant use it at work
and i just call sprint and they tell that is something wrong with my phone
and to exchange it they need to reorder it
and i feel i ll move to iphone 4

Upvote 0
WE LOVED OUR EVO'S, but, Sprints call quality/cell coverage and data speeds are just worthless where I live. I live in Minneapolis, MN, there are around 4.4 million people in the metro area and I live 1 mile west of downtown. We were getting constant call reception issues and data speeds of 300-700k.

We came from 2 3GS iphones with AT&T of course. We get coverage everywhere we go, the calls are crystal clear, and at home we get 1.4-3.5mb data speeds. In the far out suburbs data speeds drop significantly to 700-1mb.

So although we would LOVE to keep our Evo's, we can't. Sprint just sucks here :( So we mailed them back today and were back to using our 3GS's until iphone 4 comes out. If only AT&T had a phone like the Evo I would be in heaven.

I am aware Verizon has the incredible, but I can't have an oled display as I actually use my phone outside. We tested the incredible and was shocked anyone would make a phone with an oled screen. You can't see it at all outside. WTF is the point of a cell phone you can't use when the sun is out?

Oh well, maybe next year AT&T will have a nice android phone.

Upvote 0
@ NYR99. I wouldn't trade my EVO for four brand new iPhones and four years of free service with AT&T. Don't you feel like AT&T is ripping you off with the overpriced iPhone plans and crap network? You must like having dropped calls and slow data speeds.

Well said and true there plans are horrible.

I dont know why people rag on Sprint's service 12 years with them and my only complaint really is having to talk to there customer support to get a REAL tech guy.

Last 2 times I called I fixed my issue with them by telling them what to do on there end. WTF!?!?

Upvote 0
If you exclude texting, actually the base plan for the iPhone 4 is cheaper by $15 than the base plan for the Evo.

Evo = $79.99
iPhone $64.99

Now, if you compare truely unlimited plans, then Sprint seems cheaper. So if you wanted to get your foot in the door w/ a smartphone, the iPhone is a good option. If you don't text, and keep your data below 2GB, the iPhone is a good option.

I'm a geek, moderately heavy data user, and been w/ iPhone for 1.5 yrs, and I have never gotten over 1GB.....but, I have to admit, in the first 7 days w/ the Evo, I was getting close to 1GB.

Upvote 0
If you exclude texting, actually the base plan for the iPhone 4 is cheaper by $15 than the base plan for the Evo.

Evo = $79.99
iPhone $64.99

Now, if you compare truely unlimited plans, then Sprint seems cheaper. So if you wanted to get your foot in the door w/ a smartphone, the iPhone is a good option. If you don't text, and keep your data below 2GB, the iPhone is a good option.

That is what always stopped me from ever switching to ATT. Where do they get off charging a seperate fee for texting. If you have unlimited data how can you not have unlimited texting. A text is nothing more than a couple kb that they stash in between voice packets anwyay.

Also who is this mythical iPhone user that does not text and uses only small amount of data. Why even get a smart phone. Go get a Razr and call it good.

Upvote 0
Also who is this mythical iPhone user that does not text and uses only small amount of data. Why even get a smart phone. Go get a Razr and call it good.

Oh, that's just darn right mean...lol:)

I was surprised by my iPhone use numbers too. Never above 1GB, except when I first got the phone. This appears to jive w/ what AT&T is saying. Believe me, a Razer wouldn't cut it....you can't go back. As far as texting, we all know that the carriers want to make money, and invented this scam to do so. But don't harp on me because I don't text...I just don't. I call people, and talk; or I email, or IM, or Buzz, etc. Never liked texting.

Upvote 0
Nope.... Not going back... I left the iPhone and AT&T for good.... Once you get widgets, customization, a nice large screen and a service provider that's not overloaded and cost less it's hard to go back.... Not to mention AT&T data cap...

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is a nice looking device... I have an iPad, a MacBook pro and an iMac but android offer so much more than the iPhone....

I have tasted speed, multiple tasking, widgets, and customization.... Going back to the iPhone and AT&T would truly feel like a step backwards....

My .02...

Upvote 0
I understand people are all excited because we've finally hit the american phone era in which other manufacturers (and OS's) can compete with the feature-set of the iPhone. It is clear that Apple will push out a very "polished" experience (as they have previously) simply because they have the leg up in the manufacturing process; they control their product through every single phase from concept and design to distribution including BOTH hardware and software. This is the upside to a controlled system and quite simply, Apple's entire mantra; quality control via total control.
We have just now overcome the first hurtle of surpassing the functionality hardware-wise/software-wise of Apples (undeniable at the time) "industry changing" phone with these new handsets coming out. But they do not have the handicap of designing all aspects of software and experience with their handsets. THUS, IT IS SIMPLY up to the individual hardware manufacturers to put the time, resources, and attention into refining the user experience with EACH handset as well as tweaking and optimizing them to work as an elegant, unified experience. After all, form does follow function. So to all the people who want to whine about this vs iPhone, stop wasting your breaths (and keystrokes). I'm not saying one is better than the other. But rampant fanboyism never did anyone any good. Personally, I've had an iPhone for the last 2 years with lousy, LOUSY service and thus, am switching. I'm sure I'll go into the Apple store and play around with their new baby when it comes out, but that's just because I'm a gadget lover at heart. My two shekels.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones