• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

who should replace this phone .. verizon or samsung?

SUPERGALAXYS

Sep 28, 2010
ok so i got this phone off craigslist few days after it was released. its verizon but im tmobile. havent really paid much attention to this recall stuff but figured if there gonna give me a new updated one why not. called verizon just to see and there saying no cause i dont have a acct with them and im not the original purchaser i would at least need a receipt etc etc.. so called samsung. they say take to verizon and i tell them im not a verizon customer so they took my info and are calling me back within 24hrs. anyone else return a verizon note 7 that they didnt originally purchase as new in the store? to me a recall shouldnt matter who owns it, like a car recall. bring into dealer we fix ands off you go??

This is a product safety recall, now with government involvement, not a warranty issue. If it had been car with a safety issue that was recalled, it's usually no problem, and doesn't matter if it's second hand and you're not the original owner.

Here it looks like it could be, you vs Samsung...see you in court. I don't think it's for Verizon to deal with, because you're not their customer in this case.

Again IANAL :)

Upvote 0
Samsung pushed the mandatory update yesterday, limiting battery charge to 60%, and dire warnings embedded telling you to immediately stop using it and turn it off. Which would likely make this phone now rather unsellable back on Craigslist or whatever. And if you did continue to use it, despite what the update had done to it, and it did burn your house down, who's liable then?

As an aside, why is a brand new only just released carrier version phone being sold on Craigslist, especially when these things are usually sold subject to two year carrier contract. Things like that often end up being IMEI/ESN blacklisted, for whatever reasons, like, stolen, contract default, insurance fraud, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnpjackson
Upvote 0
Samsung would be the appropriate option. You'll have to go through whatever hoops they put up, though they should be minimal since it's a recall instead of warranty. Verizon won't help you because you didn't buy it from them and you're not a customer, so there's no account to attach it back to. If you had a receipt, account or not, I'm sure they would.

Upvote 0
double post...

mikedt - there are a handful of reasons why. One likely scenario: they got it on device payment, the user gave it back because they couldn't pay for it and it's outside the return period, so the account owner opted to buy it out and sell it to recoup some of the loss.

2) bought on contract, didn't like it but missed the return window, and are selling it to buy a different phone. buddy of mine buys/sells devices like that all the time.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
well ive called samsung now again as they didnt call back which they said they would within 24hrs. and ive called verizon twice. samsung is saying its on verizon and verizon is saying they need receipt lol ive already disabled all updates so i wont get the discalimer notice or any of that 60% stuff. ill just use like it i normally would. just posting to say must not be to important to samsung or verizon cause neither will take the phone . i agree with the thought shouldnt matter who owns or were i bought it. if the imei isnt reported stolen then swap it out. oh and via samsungs website it is one of the recalled notes.

Upvote 0
Go get you a little grill, put your Note 7 in the bottom and cover it with charcoal. Put the grill on and slap a steak on it. Plug the Note in and you may have freshly-grilled steak for breakfast! :D

The new Samsung/Ronco/K-tel/QVC Galaxy Note 7 Instant Barbecue..As Seen On TV.

Made in DPRK

Last edited:
Reactions: toptobottom
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones