• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who uses a secure lockscreen and why?

I pin set up for mine, I do this to keep my kids from calling people and to prevent them from messing with apps, gmail, photos, etc.
My mother n law lost her iPhone 5 a few days ago, she had pin set up, someone found it tried to access it enter the wrong pin incorrectly four times, Verizon locked the phone up, making it useless and she got a replacement device the next day

Reactions: RA_BH
Upvote 0
I pin set up for mine, I do this to keep my kids from calling people and to prevent them from messing with apps, gmail, photos, etc.
My mother n law lost her iPhone 5 a few days ago, she had pin set up, someone found it tried to access it enter the wrong pin incorrectly four times, Verizon locked the phone up, making it useless and she got a replacement device the next day

this is a very important thing for most folks to think about.

if I were not a Neck Tie kid who always carries my phones in my shirt pocket, and a Neck Strap around my neck, I would have to use a PinCode.... lord help me if I ever loose my phone, it is wide open... I would have to get access to google manager "right now" and zap the phone immediately

everything on it that is important is tied up in EVERNOTE, which is a web server based app.
the apps and other stuff is just fluff, Kies and Nova Launcher's homescreen backups allow me to put everything back in order on a replacement device in short order.

glad this came up, it is time to make backups of everything today.

Reactions: joe71 and RA_BH
Upvote 0
I just thought of a Nifty Idea....

I have MacroDroid installed. I think I will create a shortcut to a special macro labeled "Don't Do This".
Do you know anyone who could resist the temptation to see what that does???? ;)

That shortcut would activate a macro that would perform a FDR on the phone "right now"....
tee hee, one macro coming up folks. :D

Reactions: RA_BH and MLSS
Upvote 0
I would pin protect it. It doesn't matter how important or not the content is on your phone. The problem is what the person who gets it in their hands does with it. I saw in my Moto E settings - owner info. I clicked on it. You could write anything in the box to identify yourself as the owner. I typed my first and last name and my ten digit home phone number. One day I was on my bike going home from stopping at the bank. My cell phone fell out of my pocket. I didn't even know it. Twenty minutes later I received a call that the person found my phone on the ground with no physical damage. Thanks Otterrbox!!! Even the finder was surprised it was not damaged. Let's see what the end result was: the finder did not get in to my email, my web browser, my Adobe reader files, my Evernote files or my texts - yet my cell phone was returned to me undamaged for a twenty dollar reward in less than a half hour. The finder was only 15 minutes away by bicycle. I didn't have to change my password, lock my device or wipe it using Lookout Mobile, Google device management or Motorola's device protection. How do you like that device being password protected?????????

Reactions: electricpete
Upvote 0
I want to add one detail: after typing your name and an alternate phone number press your power button. You will see the number pad come up with your name and alternate phone number on the front screen This is as far as they will get. I recommend using at least 6 numbers for your password even though most people use four. If you are really sensitive about your stuff on your phone download Applock. This is an added layer of protection. This app may be bundled with antivirus apps like CM Antivirus by Cheetah Mobile.

Upvote 0
I want to add one detail: after typing your name and an alternate phone number press your power button. You will see the number pad come up with your name and alternate phone number on the front screen This is as far as they will get. I recommend using at least 6 numbers for your password even though most people use four. If you are really sensitive about your stuff on your phone download Applock. This is an added layer of protection. This app may be bundled with antivirus apps like CM Antivirus by Cheetah Mobile.
STAY AWAY FROM CM AND ANYTHING ELSE BY CHEETAH MOBILE!

THAT IS ALL, CARRY ON WITH THE TOPIC [emoji2] [emoji108]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones