Who Wants Official Froyo Update NOW??Support

Last Updated: 2011-03-24 16:29:57
  1. speeder760

speeder760 Well-Known Member

-Well here it is ppl:OFFICIAL Froyo RC2 Update ZIP

Just follow the directions and you'll have official 2.2 update.
    No more waiting for OTA update! :).

*NOTE: Read the threads for any reported problems so far. Very little testing have been done with these, i haven't even tried it yet, so there could be problems. This is for the extremely impatient :D

THIS REQUIRES ROOT

If you are not rooted yet than you will need to do the following before applying this:

1.) To root your phone, read here:http://forum.sdx-developers.com/tra...hing-vampirefo-transform-kernel-and-recovery/

And here's a video that you could follow:http://youtu.be/shkOp2Q2AM4

2.)You'll have to apply the recovery found here after you've rooted:http://forum.sdx-developers.com/transform-2-2-development/froyo-11128/. There's other stuff on the thread but the recovery is all you need.

3.) Apply Froyo zip:OFFICIAL Froyo RC2 Update ZIP

-This was some pretty big news so i decided to make a new thread seprate fr the "Shall we begin" thread.
    This ones specifically for flashing it manually. (That way we can ask questions and discuss problems about it) :)
    -And of course i am not responsible if you brick your phone. Use at your own risk.

Advertisement
    mike_blackman75 and Hyndon like this.
  2. mike_blackman75

mike_blackman75 New Member

I am new to this so the directions on SDX are vague to me can I get more detailed step by step on what to do please
  3. speeder760

Are you completely stock 2.1 right now?(no root)
    im guessing yes cuz ur new but just makin sure lol.
  4. mike_blackman75

all stock no root
  5. Hyndon

Hyndon Well-Known Member

I'm all stock as well. I could use some more detailed instructions.
  6. speeder760

alright, well you guys will have to root in order to dothis, justa heads up if your not up for it, and would rather just wait for OTA.
    Im on my phone so it may take a couple mins but let me find all the liks you guys are gonna need to root etc.
  7. mike_blackman75

Didn't want to go the root route guess i will wait for the OTA thx
  8. speeder760

Lol no problem, i figured that since you havent rooted yet.

-OP(Original Post) has been updated with directions for non-rooted users.
  9. Hyndon

Hyndon Well-Known Member

On step 3, what is the difference between the first link and the completely stock 2.2 froyo?
  10. speeder760

I just changed step 3 so ppl wouldnt get confused lol.
    Now only the completely stock(what you would have gotten OTA) is posted on step 3.
  11. Hyndon

Hyndon Well-Known Member

Ok well I'm rooting my phone now...It's telling me to put a kernel_recovery.tar file into my SWUpgrade/Models/Binary folder, but when I download the link they give me...The only files I get are a "zImage" and a "recovery.rfs".

Edit- Nevermind, I figured it out...I was opening the kernel_recovery.tar automatically and was seeing the files inside it.
  12. speeder760

dont unzip any of the files!
    make sure u follow directions of how to root carefully, there is possibility of bricking
  13. Hyndon

Hyndon Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm having a problem now actually...

I followed the directions as far as i know, but on the last step, when it tells me to go to Reboot Options, then select Reboot to System, I do that, and instead of booting up the phone, it takes me into recovery every time.
  14. speeder760

ok, hold off for a sec before doing anything else, as long as u can get into recovery your not bricked.
    what exactly did you do in the last step?
  15. Hyndon

Hyndon Well-Known Member

Okay. Basically I was able to root successfully.

Then I did the following:

Except in Step 20, it when I do Reboot to system, it takes me into recovery every time.
  16. speeder760

ok, well it seems like its the stock update thats the problem. if u read the thread, another user posted the same problem of booting into recovery. so now what u could do is flash the other froyo which gives you root acess but it seems that one is havingproblems with data connecting. if u wish to do this let me know and ill give u a quick walk through to make sure u have the right recovery ad stuff. or u could follow step 1 again which will bring for phone back to stock 2.1 but with root and wait till these froyosare more stable.
  17. Hyndon

Hyndon Well-Known Member

Yeah I went back to stock 2.1. I think I'll just wait a little until either I receive the OTA or a more stable guide/post becomes available.
  18. twistedsense

twistedsense Well-Known Member

Please excuse my ignorance but can I flash this since I am rooted with vampirefo's 2.7 and FroyoRC2? Is this simply the update file? Will I lose anything applying this zip?
  19. vanburen72

vanburen72 Well-Known Member

Well, went to console, entered ext4, updated from zip and rebooted.
    All settings and installed apps are gone. No data. No wifi.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
  20. vanburen72

And I am rooted with vampirefo's 2.7 and FroyoRC2.
  21. speeder760

hyndon, i wouldnt bother waiting for OTA this should be sorted out soon. and plus lets face it, stock isno fun, even if it is 2.2 lol.
    since your now rooted, which u should be if u followed step and and didnt go back to complete stock, than u might wanna try this : http://forum.sdx-developers.com/transform-2-2-development/froyo-port-rom-(beta-test)/also, if you wish to get the ota update u must flash completely stock with no root. if you try to update with root and custom recovery youll have issues.
  22. speeder760

twisted,yes u can flash with your current setup but will lose your data because you have to type rfs which wipes your phone.

vanburen, 3g/wifi is a known problem and should be fixed today.
    vanburen72 likes this.
  23. twistedsense

twistedsense Well-Known Member

Soooo this is basically like flashing a whole new rom? Sorry for the 20 questions.
  24. xkillswitchx23

xkillswitchx23 Well-Known Member

I have a question.
    If i wait to get froyo OTA will there be a different way it gain root access or will it be same even tho im running 2.2
  25. vanburen72