• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

who will be on top?

Micro$oft alienated a lot of users during the two years between WinMo updates. Apple continues to alienate users between the less than stellar AT&T service and their CEO's attitude towards his customers. Androids current challenges are mostly due to it's youth. Android needs a consistant user experience from one model to another, each sharing Android's inherent customizability.

Where will we be next year? Probably following the same path that we follow today...

Upvote 0
Apple's market share will fall, as is consistent with the past few years. WP7's true market share won't be known for at least two more years, and Android will continue to rise. Symbian and Blackberry will both fall to make way for Android and WP7's increase.

This is just in smartphone markets, anyway. If you look at the phone market as a whole, Symbian is still the king.

Upvote 0
Apple's market share will fall, as is consistent with the past few years. WP7's true market share won't be known for at least two more years, and Android will continue to rise. Symbian and Blackberry will both fall to make way for Android and WP7's increase.

This is just in smartphone markets, anyway. If you look at the phone market as a whole, Symbian is still the king.

Symbian may be king for the moment, but for how long? From what I see Nokia's market share is falling rapidly. Sony-Ericsson and Samsung have dropped support for Symbian in favour of Android and Windows Phone. Leaving only Nokia doing Symbian.

I had to buy a new smartphone last month, been a long time Symbian user, however what Nokia was currently offering with Symbian didn't impress me much at all. Which is why I'm now here on the Android Forums with a Samsung Galaxy S.

Windows Phone 7 looks promising, but it's got an uphill struggle into an already well established and mature smartphone market.

Upvote 0
I think android will stay #1 as far as gross new activations for the next few years,for a few reasons. Right now its new, so theres a lot of people who just want the latest and greatest, but theres also a lot of people who hold out to see how it will do, I think a lot of those people will start buying droid come summer. Droid will probably flatline as far as market share improvement in a year and a half and carry that for another year or two.

that just my thoughts for android it self.

edit:this is also assuming the iPhone does come to verizon by 2012.

Upvote 0
Ya'll are forgetting about Blackberry, they still have a large portion of the market with a pretty loyal following. Anyways, next year, I expect the same players to be in the same places as they are now, although the shares will be different. Apple will be down, Android will be up, Blackberry will be in the mixabout where they currently are (corprate accounts will maintain their level), WinP7 will be low (I think people will see where it's lacking compared to Android/Apple/Blackberry and stay away, especially the people who are already upset with WinMo), and Symbian is actually going away and will be replaced with MeeGo, which I expect to stay at about the same level as Symbian is currently.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones