Who would prefer the Epic to not have a keyboard

Do you prefer a keyboard, or would you prefer all touch.

1. Keyboard

67.5%
  2. No keyboard

33.8%
Last Updated: 2011-01-09 04:18:33
  1. hbundles88

hbundles88 Member

I voted keyboard but that's only because i'll b using it as a gaming device. Gonna get the game gripper soon!

Advertisement
  2. Vegaspilot

Vegaspilot Active Member

Can't stand sliders.
  3. Voted Keyboard

I currently have (2) HTC EVOs, a Galaxy Tab, and just added a Epic to my fleet because i just couldn't stand not having a keyboard. The Galaxy Tab isn't so bad only because the keys on the screen are actually longer, right to left, then computer keyboard keys.
  4. MetaX

MetaX Active Member

If I prefered no keyboard I wouldn't have switched rom vzw and gotten the sgs fascinate
  5. JDubbleTrouble

JDubbleTrouble Well-Known Member

i bought it because of the keyboard like alot of ppl say if you dont want a keyborad get an evo and save $50 plus i wouldnt be able to play my nes snes genesis roms with the onscreen controls they are terrible
  6. DavidBeier

DavidBeier Active Member

Keyboard all the way for me. I was wobbling back and forth between the Epic and Evo but it was really the keyboard that tipped the balance toward the Epic. There's just no way I can write a message or e-mail longer than a sentence without a keyboard. No way I can alter a text document with a touch pad. I've been typing for years and I've just built a muscle memory for how to form sentences quickly with a keyboard. SWYPE is nice but it can't compare with real typing.

Your facts are right but I don't know if I agree with your conclusion. I don't see the Evo being better for "business" at all. Both handle business functions like e-mail, documents, and messaging equally. The only difference in such things is the keyboard that the Epic offers which tends to mean faster e-mails for most of us. Also, if your business happens to be film (or entertainment in general) the way mine is, the Epic definately has the edge for it's better media player abilities. I look at it more as the Evo being the cooler, hipper choice. It DOES look sleeker and it can do more fun stuff since it has Froyo, flash, and cooler widgets. I think it's the cooler phone by far (KICKSTAND!) but the Epic is better for my business needs which the reason I'm playing for such a pricey phone and plan in the first place.
  7. Damar1979

Damar1979 Well-Known Member

Um, i think that the epic is the cool choice when you factor in everything as a whole! True the evo is nowhere near a slouch! True the evo has multimedia, true the evo has a kickstand and cooler widgets. But honestly, i still think the epic wins on all fronts (except for froyo and the kickstand). Better camera with more options (inspite of less pixels), better processor, better screen multiple keyboard types, even some widgets! (Friend stream only allows for 160 characters on evo. The samsung version allows for over 300!)
  8. MAKOKILLER

MAKOKILLER Well-Known Member

never use the keyboard. should have bought the evo instead.:)
  9. TheRoot

TheRoot Active Member

Keyboard. Makes it easier for things like download mode if I know I have a real keyboard that lets me into other modes if the phone is off. I know there are physical buttons that do so on other phones, but this satisfies my computer to phone rationale.
  10. Peezy

Peezy Member

i use both keyboards... slide out kb is nice for my nintendo/supernintendo/sega games
  11. inoh

inoh Well-Known Member

I vote keyboard. The big slide out keyboard is one of the reason's I ditched iphone. Otherwise would have an EVO or LG Optimus.
  12. SaleenFiend

SaleenFiend Well-Known Member

No Keyboard = EVO???
  13. android91

android91 Well-Known Member

Without a keyboard would've been perfect.
  14. ijeggert

ijeggert Well-Known Member

Voted for the Keyboard.

I'd rather have the bit of extra thickness on the phone so I can see my whole screen rather than have a slim phone and loose half or more of the screen (depending on it's orientation) to an onscreen keyboard.

Besides, isn't the keyboard the reason you buy the Epic over the Evo?
  15. alphachef

alphachef Member

Keyboard. Main reason to have gotten the Epic over the Evo.
  16. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Working and editing office documents is a royal pita with an onscreen keyboard. You lose so much screen real estate, it's impossible to be efficient. Any kind of extended typing and editing is easier with a hard keyboard with real direction keys (4-way) and the extra screen real estate.

This also goes hnd in hand with "business" use. So whoever said the evo was better for business is just high.
  17. epic-mike

epic-mike Member

If you don't want a keyboard on the epic then you just should have bought an EVO no? I think the keyboard is one of the things that sets the epic apart from the EVO, and makes it better
  18. dbpaddler

It's all part of choice. You're not going to see a 4.3" evo with and without a keyboard, an Epic with and without, a moto X with and without. You have to decide what your needs are first then factor in the wants that are most important and make your decision from there. You wouldn't think that much thought would go into buying a phone, but with them being used for so much more these days you actually need to. And if the smooth upgrade path is on the need list for you, then you need to factor that into your decision.

It's the one reasn I'll have some of my reps on the Shift when it comes out instead of the Epic.
  19. Damar1979

Damar1979 Well-Known Member

Im happy with my phone!
  20. capitoldog

capitoldog Well-Known Member

The keyboard is one of the things that sold me too! I just found out about the Shift yesterday. So I am very curious how it will compare to the Epic in everyday usage!
  21. dbpaddler

Well I think it'll be a 3.6" Evo with a little better processor, slide out keyboard and no front camera or hdmi out. The smaller screen and omission of features has me wonder why it's still an "Evo".
  22. diafiro

diafiro Member

For me the keyboard feature is awesome in itself... BUT in my case after only a few days of using it I realized that it's fairly big for my hands. I'm not a tall/big guy and have rather short fingers, so it becomes a pain to constantly reach the space bar with either of my thumbs... I think I've used it less than 10 times... and now I never even use it... at all. I guess I could've returned it and gotten an EVO... sigh...

In any case, I do like my EPIC.
  23. dbpaddler

not that I have the biggest hands, but if I hold the Epic where the edges rest where my fingers meet my palm, my thumbs actually overlap the space bar by quite a bit. Trying to imagine hands small enough where it's a stretch.
  24. capitoldog

capitoldog Well-Known Member

Wow! The Evo Shift is smaller AND doesn't have the HDMI out?! They must be putting out the cheaper version for people who don't want to spend for the original. So they threw in the keyboard as an inticement.
  25. dbpaddler

I wouldn't necessarily classify it that way. Many don't want to carry a phone the size of the Epic, Evo, Droid X and such. 3.6" is a sweet spot for many. Just look at the Droid 2 and HTC Incredible. The processor is nothing to sneeze at. And if you don't mind the extra $120/yr there simply is no reason to go the Samsung Transform at that point. The omission of the hdmi and front camera baffle me while keeping the Evo name, but you're also spending less on the phone. Imagine what it'll be when it hits wirefly.