• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who's Droid is and has been working just fine?

Did you resync contacts and accounts after your upgrade? Mine did the same thing, but when I went in and rechecked syncing, it restored everything.

I didn't really count it as a bug/problem, as it was more of a preference being reset by a firmware upgrade.

Mike

I resynced it when I did the update. Still gone, facebook contacts are in there but the numbers are gone. Not a huge deal, but annoying nonetheless

Upvote 0
I've had mine since 11/9 and it's been great. Other than the known issues like poor quality camera pics and mediocre battery life, I've had no problems. In the first couple of days of ownership, the email was screwy, but since getting K-9 that's been resolved. No hardware problems, reboots, failure to function, lag, etc. Maybe one or two force quits per week, but I assume those are application related.

Like others have said, Internet forums will always have a large number of people looking for help with problems. I've personally spoken to 4 or 5 other people with Droids, and none of them have ever come to a Web site to discuss the phone. They just make calls, do some web surfing, answer some emails, and download a few apps. The guy at the store set it up, it works for them, and that's all they care about. Not everybody is a hardcore gadget freak that obsesses over every detail like us. :D

It is clear from reading this site that the biggest risk is ending up with a unit that has serious hardware problems, but getting it swapped out doesn't appear to be difficult. Most of the other complaints and annoyances are either fixable via update or by a third party app. But those are generally not anything that affects the core functionality of the device.

Upvote 0
I've had no real problems with mine & I got it on "opening day." Occasionally, the phone has been known to lock up, but it happens so infrequently & now that I know to restart it with the alt+shift+ctrl function on the keyboard (rather than a battery pull) it makes the one snag I'm having seem irrelevant...and I haven't had a freeze since the update...

Upvote 0
On my FOURTH Droid:

1. Battery killer - down to 20%-30% before 2pm w/light use
2. Battery killer - down to 20%-30% before 2pm w/light use
3. Reset every 20 minutes (VZW rep dropped it on the floor as he was setting it up for me)
4. YAY! (Even after one drop on concrete - no issues)

I guess it pays to persevere...

Upvote 0
Every phone has growing pains. I've used a BlackBerry for years, and it's amazing how many times I'd have to reboot the device on a weekly basis for it to work correctly. Even RIM tech support would many times have no answer other than "reboot your phone". So, I'm very happy with the DROID.

Upvote 0
I have to echo chorus of very few problems that are being reported here and have to suggest that most people who "omg RETURNING IT" are either expecting way too much or are having far too many... user issues... and shouldn't be using a smart phone anyway.

The Moto Droid is a great product, I've sounded like a commercial since I bought the thing. Its easy to operate and takes very little tinkering to get the hang of it.

If you haven't used a touch screen before, it may take a few days to get used to it. Having upgraded from an LG Dare, it took maybe 3 hours for me to really get the hang of it and some google searches on things like long touches etc.

I recommended this device to every person that's asked about it, I even convinced my mom to get one for my not-so-tech-savvy dad for Christmas. I'm simply that sold on how easy it is to use and the quality of it.

Nothing can't be cured with a reboot but even then, you probably don't even have to do it.

As a note: the camera issues were fixed with the 1st update, which I think you may already be aware of. ;)

Upvote 0
When I first got mine, reliability was dismal. 2-3 reboots daily, and I'm not a heavy user. I handed it to a friend who has an iPhone and she got it to reboot in less than 5 minutes. Of course she's been saying, "Droid isn't quite ready!" ever since. Had it not been for this forum and tales of rock solid reliability, I would have believed it and taken it back.

Last week, I knew the update was coming so I decided to hold out. Also, Thursday morning, I took out the battery and left it out for 15 minutes. No problems the rest of the day. I even let another iPhone user play with it that evening and he had no issues. Even complimented it. Then Friday morning, I got the update.

It's been solid ever since.

Upvote 0
Since jumping to the Droid from my iPhone 3GS meant paying an ETF, you better believe I played hawk-eye with the Droid. But my pre-purchase homework involved hanging out at this and other Droid-focused forums, so I'd be prepared to remedy predictable problems.

I was concerned that I might possibly lose my google-based contacts during the initial sync. Ditto gCalendar. So I exported everything first so I'd have a backup. Turns out, I didn't need them as the maiden sync was flawless, as is true of subsequent seamless syncs.

Frankly, I'm nuts when it comes to an app store. To protect me, my first purchase was My Backup Pro. Haven't "had" to do a restore yet.

I'm not wild about Droid's version of copy n paste. But that's pretty much my only complaint.

Any weirdness encountered has invariably been attributable to a just-installed app, and was always remedied upon the offending app's removal.

I hasten to add-- I allow for the possibility that a show-stopping glitch could appear. It's a computer as well as a phone, so I understand the implications. Nonetheless, having spent some serious time (years) with other smartphones-- 2 Treos, 2 Blackberrys (<< model upgrades), Nokia 3650, the original Sidekick, and the original and 3GS iPhones, as well as each network, there is NO doubt in my mind: Verizon + Droid = the best bang for this lady's buck, bar none. It operates beautifully AS A PHONE, and has equal prowess when it comes to web browsing (freebie Dolphin browser adds pinch-zoom), email pushes, Google Voice, and the overall notification system is intelligent as well as consistently RELIABLE. Among the many unsung bonuses: gentle task reminders when you enter the corresponding geographical area (free Astrid or ActionComplete).

You've got 30 days to play your heart out. Only YOU will know your final verdict after hands-on testing/familiarity. Whatever, enjoy your smartphone travels.

Upvote 0
I've had my Droid since day one and it was GREAT!!! Loved the phone and was really excited about the upgrade. However, since the upgrade I now have echos and really bad static on my phone calls and sometimes when I text the words don't show up until I open up to the "real" keyboard. I am not sure what to do cuz I still basically love the phone just really hate the echo and the missing texts.

Upvote 0
I agree with your wife. :) You are worrying too much. The Droid is selling very well.. and because of that there are a lot of Droids out there already. The more devices you have in consumer's hands, the more problems you are going to see pop up on the Internet. And one of the golden rules of checking internet forums (or the internet in general) is that it has a tendancy to accumulate small groups into very visible and vocal groups. So you could have 1 millions Droids out there with a couple hundred people having issues. You go to a forum and read 100 of those complaints on the forum and it sounds like the device is a failure. But it's really just a collecting point for all those people with issues. It makes things seem worse than than they really are. I've seen if happen many many times. It's something to be aware and careful of.

Oh.. and I guess I should add that I haven't had any issues with my phone at all... as other people have mentioned.. and issues were generally related to a bad app... instead of the phone itself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones