Who's dropped theirs so far? Any damage?Support

Have you dropped your Captivate yet?

1. Yes, with a case, no damage!

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Yes, with a case, but it still got damaged.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, naked, no damage!

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  4. Yes, naked, and it got damaged.

3 vote(s)
    25.0%

Last Updated:

1. Jofaba

Jofaba Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I dropped mine about 1-2 feet onto the sidewalk and the glass shattered. I'm currently trying to decide whether I want to pay the $162 to get it fixed or sell it for parts on ebay. Thing is, Samsung claims they've only had to replace the glass on 3 captivates so far, and I cannot find a single screen-damaged Captivate on ebay past or present. Did I just have really really bad luck with my drop? I find it hard to believe that so few are getting broken.

This isn't a bitch thread, I'm genuinely curious. Also, if you dropped yours with a case and the case saved it, please post which case you have. If I do fix and keep my Captivate I want to get a really protective case for it.

Advertisement
  2. fldude99

fldude99 Well-Known Member

I dropped mine the third day I had it from a 4' 3" countertop to a hard ceramic tile floor. Somehow I suppose it landed on the lower left corner and suffered no damage. I have since put the body glove tpu on it and like it..I didn't like the silicone case I put on it after that. I'd prefer no case, but it is a slippery device

3. rockfrawg

rockfrawg Member

I wrapped mine in a body glove snap on case as soon as I took it out of the box. couple days later I dropped it getting out of my truck, approx 4.5' down to the cement curb/asphalt...the case opened up on one side but the phone stayed in undamaged. very small scratch on the case. i'm a really big fan of the case I got. it has a very nice feel to it, easy in and out of pockets, grabs the phone really well and if you choose to use the belt clip you get a kickstand that works well in both portrait and landscape.

4. Aerodrifting

Aerodrifting Active Member

The phone is made of cheap plastic, I'd imagine it will take some serious damage if dropped to a hard floor. My intuition tells me when Samsung claimed "they've only had to replace the glass on 3 captivates so far" is bullshit, over 1 million Galaxy 9000s models were sold in the first month and there got to be more than 3 broken screens.

5. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

I dropped mine the day I was getting the case and screen protector. Scratched the corner of the plastic (now hidden by case), and nicked the screen in an unobtrusive location (reduced by screen protector)

6. rickygotskills

rickygotskills Member

Yep. Mine fell out of my lap getting out of my truck, onto the driveway, without my BodyGlove case on.... Bummer. got scuffs on top-left and bottom right corners, but Oh Well, such is life.

Raise your hand if your heart rate goes through the roof when you lose grip on your phone...Maybe its just me.

Ciao.

RH

7. poohbear99

poohbear99 Member

yeah! I dropped mine while getting out of the car and broke the screen. It still works but I want to cry every time I look at it. I have tape over it right now but will be getting a new in 2 weeks. I can't recommend it enough! GET A CASE!!! I didn't have a case because I couldn't find one in person and was to lazy to order one online. But I've learned my lesson; all $150 of it.

8. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

See this section of the Captivate FAQ:

Repair - CapFAQ

9. drapacioli

drapacioli Well-Known Member

I am very clumsy when it comes to phones and have dropped my phone several times, usually 3-4 feet onto hardwood floors. Luckily I have both a silicone case and the heavy duty screen protector on it so it hasn't suffered any damage whatsoever. So I'm either protecting it properly or I have been very lucky so far.