• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who's going to CES

hewitts

Dec 1, 2010
So, being ice bound in the northern mid west, I wont be playing with all the ne toys this week. I'm sure some of you will be so hopefully you can give a report to the rest of us plebeians.

Here's my request I'm looking for a 7-10 inch tab, without a contract or a ipad + pricetag. Is there anything enough better (and with a still reasonable price) that it would talk me out of piking up and rooting nook color on Monday? MOTO?... anyone else?... Any reports would be helpful.

I wish I could go. If it was in Boston I would absolutely be there. Instead I will find all the web sites I can that will be reporting from there and be refreshing their pages every 5 minutes.

If you want a 7 inch tab - I hear HTC is announcing one and it will be a 7 inch. Not good for me but if thats in your range HTC makes really nice stuff.

Upvote 0
So, being ice bound in the northern mid west, I wont be playing with all the ne toys this week. I'm sure some of you will be so hopefully you can give a report to the rest of us plebeians.

Here's my request I'm looking for a 7-10 inch tab, without a contract or a ipad + pricetag. Is there anything enough better (and with a still reasonable price) that it would talk me out of piking up and rooting nook color on Monday? MOTO?... anyone else?... Any reports would be helpful.

Unfortunately, though live just outside Boston I'm too busy at this point... but I wouldn't feel bad about 'settling' for a Nook Color... I had my wife and kids give me one as my Christmas present and it's built like a tank... even running 2.1 Autonootered (2.2 isn't yet ready for prime time) it's more than worth the price... tethered to my Old standby Droid1 with Adhoc patch it's my new coat Pocket pal going with me everywhere... Battery life is incredible as seems to have perfected a true 0% battery sleep on Power Button short press... Bluetooth just discovered to be wired up but not enabled will make it even better... I think this one will be hard to beat for the price for a good while going forward for a 7" pocket companion...

Upvote 0
I'm going to CES. We fly out some time tomorrow. I will be there Thursday and Friday.

I have been following the Tablet coverage. It's great to have a lot of options but most of them are months out or will never make it to market.

I personally had the Archos 70 for a month and then sold it for the Galaxy tab (I needed GPS for app dev). I have to say that I am very happy with the Galaxy Tab and I actually have in in my hands now. I can use it for several months or a year until the tablets we see actually hit the market.

I should mention that I bought my galaxy tab along with a Samsung Fascinate off craigslist for $400 total. Both in perfect condition with clean esn's. My kids get to use the fascinate for games and stuff. I use the galaxy tab as a WIFI only tablet at work and home turning on my incredible hotspot if I need 3g. It really is the shit if you want a totally functional tablet RIGHT NOW instead of 6-12 months from now.

Upvote 0
CES starts tomorrow right? I keep seeing "so and so has announced such and such a product" and I'm getting really confused lol.

Also, on the topic of a tab, I HEARD that Samsung will be releasing a Galaxy Tab that is only WiFi and therefore doesn't require any contracts with anyone.

Source
Its open to the public tomorrow I think. But lots of the press conferences occur in the two days leading up to the official start, so that's why you're seeing all the announcements.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones