Who's picking up the Galaxy Tab and using tethering w/ Evo?

Last Updated:

1. htc.EVOlution

htc.EVOlution Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Who's getting an Galaxy Tab at retail (without committing to contract) to use with EVO? Since I have a Evo and it's rooted, I can authorize tethering on my phone to be use with any device.

Looking for some thoughts here. I'm a Anti-apple guy and originally thought about buying a Ipad, but refused to.

Advertisement
  2. neudof

neudof Active Member

3. eieio

eieio Well-Known Member

I will pick one up to test it out and see how it does.. To be honest I wished they had one with 4g and voice built in..

For me that would have been the ultimate device.. I rarely use voice.. If it can do skype it will be a bit more attractive but lack of built in 4g is killing it for me.

4. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

If it had 4G I would get one and pay the data (if I could do an add on line). If I am going to get one to tether, it will be the archos so far.

5. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

yeah.. i was thinking about get the evo.. and this tab.

but after reading how 2.2 is not really good for 7 inch.. and there is really no real good apps for it...

what does it really get me... vs the EVO??

Mr. Ed likes this.
  6. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

Maybe if had some regular messaging phone I'd consider the Samsung Tab, but with with Evo don't think its really necessary. Evo is more pocketable but has that nice big screen I need. I can't see myself using a tab AND my Evo, doesn't make sense IMHO.

7. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

couldn't agree with you guys more. i don't see that i would be gaining anything with one of these tabs. i was sitting with some folks that had an ipad last night...and just don't get it. maybe as an e reader...but who reads anymore? (joking of course...)

8. revtime

revtime Well-Known Member

I was thinking of that Barnes and Noble Nook color thing. 279.00 but using it as just an ereader and web browser. The EVO is for apps, and the occasional call.

9. photoculture

photoculture Member

I have read 3 books on my Evo using Kindle. It was a great experience. A larger screen is not needed as the letters are pretty big. So, what can the Tab do that my evo cant?... nothing

10. jparker71

jparker71 Well-Known Member

I may get this for youtube and kindle for Android. As much as I use those 2 apps it would be worth the money.

11. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

I totally agree. I really don't see the need for it. I would just be wasting money when I already have a device that does whatever I need.

12. FlyHighx

FlyHighx Active Member

For me it's the 7" screen that has me sitting this one out. 7" is too big to conveniently carry in a pocket to just have everywhere I go like my evo can. Since I'd have to make it a point to take it with me, choosing to carry it in something or keeping it in some type of case or carrier, the 7" over 4.3" isn't a large enough jump to make the extra hassle worth it for me. I'm waiting for the anticipated January releases of 10" tablets running the next iteration of Android, geared for tablets. 10" to me would be worth replacing my notebook when I'm on the road in order to get the convenience and speed of Android and lose a few pounds in my bag in process.

13. DarkNeo

DarkNeo Well-Known Member

Ill get one when Android is actually designed for use on Tablets.

RoboMonkey likes this.
  14. cirehawk

cirehawk Well-Known Member

Exactly. I upgraded from the Hero to the Evo a couple weeks ago. Before I did, I gave thought to 2 different options. 1) Upgrade to the Evo, and 2) Keep my Hero and go with the Galaxy Tab. Upgrading to the Evo was pricey enough ($200 plus the extra $120/yr plan cost), but the Tab is even more. And as you say, getting the Evo AND the Tab doesn't make sense to me either. So I went the Evo route.

15. djkleric

djkleric Well-Known Member

It would be nice for an in dash touch panel in the car. Obviously you would have to do some custom work but who isnt down for trying that out. Then tether it with the Evo. That would rock.

RaiseUp151z, fonseca898 and Mr. Ed like this.
  16. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

I'll pass.

Too expensive, Google says Android is not optimized for tables and it still wont read ComiXology comics :)

I'm going to be forced to pick up a iPad2 (Nov or Jan) for all my comic book reading pleasure.

17. archercc

archercc Well-Known Member

Im like a few other people in that I really couldnt see the point of going a bit bigger on the screen but still getting a phone. I have an ultraportable laptop (11.5" diag, sub3lbs) and my Evo. If i need a bigger screen I would most likely just fire up the laptop. If I just need a media player I would just fire up the Evo.

For me its a niche that doesn't really need to be filled, at least not for the price of another unsubsidized smart phone.

18. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

For me to even consider this type of device, it needs be sub $300 and preferably ~$200. I don't need cameras, gps, or particularly any 3g/4g data w/plan, wifi is just fine. My Evo already handles all those duties ably. I want something to compliment my phone and laptop, not replace it.

19. htc.EVOlution

htc.EVOlution Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I guess it really isn't for everyone. In the end this thing is just a fashion statement that people are trying to get in replace of an Ipad. Maybe I should rethink this thing through.

20. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

I can't justify dropping $600 for a slightly bigger screen basically.

I think 7" tablets are going to have a tough time catching on now that phones are getting into the 4" range. I don't think I'd ever consider a 7" tablet just because its not significantly larger than what I already have. Now a 9" may be worth checking out.

21. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

Looking at it now... 7" isn't much of a jump like other have mentioned. And more importantly, I need a tab to be able to do some things that my Evo just can't handle. The Galaxy tab isn't showcasing anything to my knowledge on what it can do better than my Evo.

22. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

TBH I'd rather buy an ipad than a Tab. Apple hatred aside, it CAN do things the Tab can't, and its a pretty nice product. That way you'd get the best of both worlds (But a little bit better world on the Evo :))

RaiseUp151z and RoboMonkey like this.
  23. FestoKGB

FestoKGB Well-Known Member

I saw someone with a custom ipad mounting solution that looked sweet. Looked almost stock.

MP3Car.com - Custom iPad Mounts

Something like this would be sweet with the Galaxy Tab or equiv.

24. DaveTec

DaveTec Active Member

Waiting for the archos 10.1 to hit. Would like to finger it a bit before I buy it tho.

25. Rambler358

Rambler358 Well-Known Member

Depends on one's eyesight I guess. ;)