• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who's picking up the Galaxy Tab and using tethering w/ Evo?

I seriously believe this thing is going to be a home run with a lot of users..

I am seriously considering selling my Evo and reverting back to a flip phone and this..

It might be time to dust off my Star Tac and put it back into action

As a device I would agree but the pricing by sprint will seriously restrict it's potential market.

Upvote 0
My Galaxy Tab is on Verizon because it has the lowest reasonable monthly fee and there is no contract. $600 for the device, $20/month for 1 GB data. AT&T has a $15/month plan for 250 GB which is ridiculous, they're just setting customers up to get raped in overage fees. I can always route through my EVO as a backup anyway.

This is off topic but I find it hilarious that Verizon has a navigation app for the Tab which costs $10/month to use, and based on its list of features (I'm not going to actually try it) it offers nothing over Google Nav. Who keeps products like this in business??

Upvote 0
Yesterday I got a chance for some quality hands on time with the Samsung galaxy Tab vs iPad vs. Dell Streak (with 1.6) vs. EVO at BestBuy, winner as judged by me: king EVO:cool:

I was with a couple others who had smartphones 3.5" or smaller who were fans of the Samsung Tab however.

My perspective is most people are best served with basic versatile computing essentials first, solid notebook & smartphone then assess needs from there.

My personal smartphone sweetspot is 4-5" with kickstand. I even preferred using the EVO to the Tab.

If I were to get a tablet it should have more capabilities than the smartphone & distinct use cases from the notebook, so 10" would be more appealing to me.

At 10"+ it would be competing with netbooks & ultraportables so ideally I'd like to see a dual core HD hybrid tablet capable of running Android & when docked an option for full OS would be cool similar to an updated Lenovo's IdeaPad+U1 or a maybe even a detachable dual screen laptop/tablet but these tablet specs paired with a keyboard case & remote login to fuller os' could work.

I won't hold my breath for hybrid tablets & projector smartphones or a 2010 Incredible HD rumor that does not appear to be materializing so I look forward to picking up the EVO at latest Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

"4G" is also permeating here (was shown peak speeds over 10 but avg still ~1/5 that with upload 1cap) so despite its camcorder that will look even weaker 3 months from now, I can't find a compelling enough reason not to finally push the gifted 3GS aside & pull that trigger on King kickstand EVO..(hope the battery tricks holdup:))

Any Tab + EVO owners care to share their views?

Upvote 0
My Galaxy Tab is on Verizon because it has the lowest reasonable monthly fee and there is no contract. $600 for the device, $20/month for 1 GB data. AT&T has a $15/month plan for 250 GB which is ridiculous, they're just setting customers up to get raped in overage fees.
AT&T also has a 2GB data plan for $25/month which isn't too bad.

Upvote 0
AT&T also has a 2GB data plan for $25/month which isn't too bad.

i dont think 2G is enough for tab devices ... most will feel confined at 2G...

They done research to the best ceilings.... today 2G looks like a lot....so you sign up for 24 months.
10 months later.. you have to be anal about your data usage or get used to bouncing right over that limbo line.

$25 x 24months = $600... if you dont go over they limit.

I am going to get one at full retail... wifi only. and tether to my phone.. rooted :D if you know what I mean with Sprint unlimited! ftw!

when are you not going to be next to your phone???
even if you go with the $30/month hotspot... it is unlimited sprint plan. and if you have wimax.. wow!

Upvote 0
It seems I may be in the minority with this, but I bought a Galaxy Tab off-contract with Sprint and am tethering via my Evo. I love my Evo as a phone, but the Galaxy Tab's form factor has distinct advantages for me. It is basically replacing my netbook for basic browsing and academic functions.

I did the same thing. I bought the Galaxy tab off-contract with Sprint and am tethering it via my Evo. Now if I can only figure out how to prevent the Galaxy Tab from trying to activate every time I turn it on. :D

Upvote 0
With those of you that are doing the Evo Galaxy tab combo, what is a distinct feat that ur tab have over the Evo? Besides a bigger screen for browsing.

I was not expecting this, but I really like Samsung's 'version' of Android over HTC's. It feels more "enhanced" and less "****ed with". Here's a rambling list of some things I like better than the EVO version. The notification bar has a brightness slider with an auto checkbox, and toggles for all of the radios and silent mode. The "app drawer" is a set of discrete sliding pages instead of one long list, and by default the icons are listed in the order you installed the apps rather than alphabetical as on the EVO. This is great because a lot of apps have icon labels that are different from the application name in the market. The add-at-the-end feature avoids having to scan the app drawer to figure out which icon is new. You can also reorder (but not delete) the icons. So it's almost like an iphone-style "home screen" that just lists all of your apps in the order you choose and has no widgets. As for the actual home screen, you can pinch-zoom-out just like on the EVO but from that view you can add more home screens, up to 9, and set which one is the default instead of the "middle" one always being the default like on the EVO. The built-in video player plays divx very well, I find it to be smoother and faster to seek than the divx players available in the market, perhaps due to hardware acceleration. Oh also the home screens work in landscape mode, the icons all rotate in-place so the positioning does not change, they just turn to face you. Also you can turn the tab upside down and the screen will flip to be rightside up. I find this useful if I hand it to a non-techie to read something, they're less likely to bump the capacitive buttons accidentally if they're at the top. One other thing I can think of right now, when you tap text that you are editing to move the cursor, it gives you a finger-sized pointy circle to drag around with your finger so you can easily move cursor with precision.

One negative, the Menu and Home hardware buttons are flipped vs the EVO and practically every other standard Android phone. No idea why they did this. If I install a custom ROM then flipping these back will be the first feature I look for.

Upvote 0
wifi tethering with root....
from EVO or Epic .. to GalaxyTab.

does it work? any issues???

To make a long story short, yes. It's a conditional yes though. If your version of Wifi Tether serves an "ad-hoc" network, the Galaxy Tab won't see it. There is a very quick and easy fix you can do to make it work. If you are using a Rom such as Cyanogen 6.1, Myn's Warm Two Point Two or Fresh EVO, it will work out of the box. They have a patch built in that makes Wifi Tether serve an actual wifi hotspot.

To Recap, if you are rooted but stock, you will need to patch your Galaxy Tab (this is not hard). If you are rooted and running a Rom, just turn Wifi Tether on and connect your Galaxy Tab to it.

Reactions: dan330
Upvote 0
To make a long story short, yes. It's a conditional yes though. If your version of Wifi Tether serves an "ad-hoc" network, the Galaxy Tab won't see it. There is a very quick and easy fix you can do to make it work. If you are using a Rom such as Cyanogen 6.1, Myn's Warm Two Point Two or Fresh EVO, it will work out of the box. They have a patch built in that makes Wifi Tether serve an actual wifi hotspot.

To Recap, if you are rooted but stock, you will need to patch your Galaxy Tab (this is not hard). If you are rooted and running a Rom, just turn Wifi Tether on and connect your Galaxy Tab to it.

I did this for a few days and found that the $20 data plan (for 1GB, of which my web and youtube traffic is on track to use about 300MB for this month) is worth it to me just to not have to keep toggling android wifi tether on/off on the EVO before and after each tablet use. Leaving it on constantly is not an option, it drains the battery before the day is through just being idle.

If I can get bluetooth tethering to work, I'll switch to that, it should use a lot less power.

Upvote 0
Aside from a few specialized functions, I'm with those who think the price is way too steep AND that I'd rather have a 10" tab if I'm going to have make the effort to carry another item.

- I agree with the idea that this size tab would work perfectly for a car audio/video dash solution.
- And I could even see it being kept near the couch for web surfing but ONLY if it was able to integrate audio/video remote control use. As a matter a fact, I LOVE that idea it would sure beat spending $300+ for one of those stand alone touch screen remotes. Can one of the programmers even confirm if this would be a possibility through one of these devices? I'd love to see an app allow this, even with my Evo!!!

Back to the Tab crisis- for the past 2 weeks, I've been itching to buy one bad. A coworker has the IPad which is bitching! But, I'd rather stick with the Android platform and like the ideas Ive been seeing incorporated in the Android Tabs vs the Apple product. I came close to ordering a ViewSonic but ultimately, the rumors about a 10" Android explosion happening in January/February has me holding off til then.

Peace!

Upvote 0
Back to the Tab crisis- for the past 2 weeks, I've been itching to buy one bad. A coworker has the IPad which is bitching! But, I'd rather stick with the Android platform and like the ideas Ive been seeing incorporated in the Android Tabs vs the Apple product. I came close to ordering a ViewSonic but ultimately, the rumors about a 10" Android explosion happening in January/February has me holding off til then.
I'm in the same boat. So far I think the Notion Ink Adam is the only Android tablet on my list at this time. If that turns out not to be all its hyped as, then the gen 2 iPad could possibily be next on my list.

Upvote 0
Well I almost got the Tab but decided on the Notion Ink Adam instead. I was able to get my pre-order in and got the Pixel Qi, 3G model. I could tether with my Evo, but I got the 3G version because my wife will likely be using it as well.

I will also be picking up the ink adam.

It not only outspecs the galaxy tab, it's cheaper to boot.

Plus I love that pixelQi screen.

I played with the galaxy tab and I must say, I was not impressed.

Upvote 0
Like to thank everyone for there input. But I can't for the life of me consider a tab. And thinking of it now, I wouldn't even consider getting netbook. I see the reason to get a tab/netbook for some but i honestly think my evo covers all the grounds a tab/netbook would cover for me. I am a student so I can check email and even respond to course discussions on my Evo. I do heavy duty work on my desktop and soon to be purchased laptop. I know its different for everyone but I think my Evo does a fantastic job of covering all my Evo and work related tasks before needing an actual computer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones