• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whos saved they're upgrade for Bionic/GS2

What have you saved your upgrade for?

• Motorola Bionic

Votes: 55 52.4%
  • Samsung Galaxy S 2

Votes: 41 39.0%
  • Something Else/Something Better

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • No upgrade but still getting one of these

Votes: 4 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

atrain729

Lurker
Mar 30, 2011
So just generally curious, currently I'm an original droid 1 user who has been tempted by many phones but have been holding out for something that is LTE compatible as well as dual core which (since january 2011 at CES) seems to be the Motorola Droid Bionic. Now I know that I'm not alone in this boat and I'm sure there are many other people whose upgrades have just been sitting in waiting for their next super phone.

So who's held off their upgrade for the Bionic? furthermore even though 4G LTE is not something confirmed for the Verizon version of the Samsung Galaxy S 2 (when and if it ever comes) who is holding off to hear more about that?

So just chime in and let me hear how NOT alone I am in this also is there anything else that is making you hold off past either of these phones? i.e. are you waiting for quad core or for your phone to print money?

Same boat. I'm still waiting, very, very patiently like all the other OG Droid users clinging onto life.

I actually bought the Charge and used it for a while, but ended up returning it. Obviously a beautiful screen, but had its issues.

I'm back to playing the waiting game and have been tempted by the D3, but figured if I've waited this long I may as well keep on waitin'. While the 4G speeds were great, it just absolutely killed battery and is still in its infancy stage. I am going to wait for the Bionic (maybe the SGSII) and then make my decision on whether 4G is more important than that glorious KB on the D3.

Upvote 0
from here on out i will probably just pay full retail for my devices. The upgrades just cause you to get locked in to a stupid contract which will cause you to pay full retail for a phone if you want to upgrade bad enough anyways.

Since VZW got rid of the 1 year upgrades their Full retail prices aren't that bad now.

With that said....my next android device has to be global....i have a feeling the Bionic will not be global.

Upvote 0
I held my upgrade for the Bionic or GS2, but at the same time not necessarily for those 2 if they both are coming in Sept or later. I can wait it out til next year is thats the case.

Its not so much waiting for the phone after those 2, its just that Sept is closer to next year than Aug....even tho its only a month difference. Might as well wait at that point. And my Droid X1 is still going strong. Droid 1 too.

My Droid X1 is beat to hell thanks to my kids and their mother tho...lol. My Droid 1 is a good back up. It actually looks newer than my DX1.

Upvote 0
What I was wondering is if anyone has had any luck grandfathering in their NE2 upgrade? I was up for my upgrade for my OG Droid in november of last year and was on the $100 NE2 rate and now, of course, they are offering $30 for customer loyalty or some stuff. Does anyone think I can go in there arguing that I was never informed of the program change and should be eligible for the original upgrade amount since I would have received it had I upgraded earlier?

Upvote 0
Waiting for something... :)

(Though the Charge looks better than before thanks to P3Droid's support and dev energy there...)

I'm leaning towards the Galaxy SII...form factor and performance from the reviews I've read are very exciting. 4G doesn't interest me as much as the overall phone experience does, as I have wifi at home/work, and can stream Netflix over 3G w/out issue, so I just have a hard time figuring out what I need 4G (and worse battery life) for. I would love it if the Galaxy SII could do data/phone at the same time, but I've lived w/that forever, and rarely find that to be an issue anyway. The fact that they sent a phone to the CM team and they are already working on a CM7 ROM for it is also a huge plus.

Bionic could tempt me, of course, but gotta see/feel it in hand, and if the boot loader is locked that is likely to be the push needed to send me to the Galaxy.

Either way I'm not doing the "opening day" business...gonna way for both to come out and see how it goes over a few weeks and then make a decision. I don't see any reason to rush at this point.

Upvote 0
I have been saving my upgrade since BEFORE Storm 1...I found out from the reviews that was a POS..so I kept on with a Sammy 970....I waited for the storm 2....Nope there also....and by that time Android was on the horizon...so I waited....and I was just about to pull the switch for a T Bolt...and I realized LTE rocks...so I am still waiting.

The ONLY reason I haven't killed myself yet is a friend gave me a Sammy ROGUE to use..which actually works great...All I really need is something for texting, answering my GMAILS and texting.....and a good camera is a must...and the Rogue has it in spades...

Check out this video I took of an 95 MPH Skater boat run, with me in it...

fastharrys ride..

BTW, If any of you need a GOOGLE plus invite, let me know...

Cannot wait for the Bionic..

Upvote 0
I am waiting for the Bionic as I do not think the Function will be LTE. This is just my best guess. I don't know and neither does anyone else but it seems to make the most sense, especially if it is coming in August.

I was on a 1 year contract from my original DROID that I bought on release day and paid full price for a DROID X. I was eligable for an upgrade last September but have been holding onto it waiting for a phone worth using the upgrade on. I put my DROID X through the wash in May which caused its demise and bought a used Fascinate to hold me over until the Bonic comes out.

The wait has been way too long for a dual core LTE phone!

Upvote 0
I have been saving my upgrade since BEFORE Storm 1...I found out from the reviews that was a POS..so I kept on with a Sammy 970....I waited for the storm 2....Nope there also....and by that time Android was on the horizon...so I waited....and I was just about to pull the switch for a T Bolt...and I realized LTE rocks...so I am still waiting.

The ONLY reason I haven't killed myself yet is a friend gave me a Sammy ROGUE to use..which actually works great...All I really need is something for texting, answering my GMAILS and texting.....and a good camera is a must...and the Rogue has it in spades...

Check out this video I took of an 95 MPH Skater boat run, with me in it...

fastharrys ride..

BTW, If any of you need a GOOGLE plus invite, let me know...

Cannot wait for the Bionic..

I used to have the rogue then passed it onto my brother it is still going strong even after being dropped in the toilet(since he didnt have insurance on it but rice did the trick) Quite a nice little phone I think if they made an android on verizon like that with a dual core and a better hinge than the epic that would be a beast of a phone and a huge seller.

Upvote 0
After getting to see a SGSII in France, that is really my "dream" phone. Also, it already has CM7 support (hopefully Verizon doesn't mess with the bootloader), so that's a huge plus. I really want an LTE device, but seeing how thick the first gen. ones are, I'd really hope Sammy can fit it in without making it a brick. Either way, my Droid is still kickin it, and for use of email and phone calls it's working fine.

Upvote 0
Ditto! My original DROID is still rockin'. The Bionic seems to be the only phone that has excited me enough to "upgrade".

Long time no see, messenger!

Completely agree. After buying my g/f a Droid Charge, it was the first time my phone felt a lil envious over another's functionality. But the Bionic is def the first phone that has made me say, "I need this!", hence why I'm still nursing my OG. lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones