• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who's signing up for the Chrome OS project?

This may not be the solution for all traveling business folks...if you travel to places that don't have readily available Internet then you're obviously not going to buy a cloud based pc/laptop. Cloud based OS's are the future and are fast approaching. It just makes sense. 90% of users don't do anything besides browse the web, watch youtube, type documents, etc. Soon enough you'll just have a little box that you plug your monitor, keyboard and mouse into that just pulls up your Cloud based desktop. No need for a big beefy processor with 4 gigs of RAM and 500 gigs of local storage anymore. God, I'd love if I could get something like that for my mom so I could stop repairing her PC every time she downloads some crap to it.

Cloud based services are here to stay and will eventually take over as most users home PC and I can't wait to see what the future brings for this young technology. I've already seen the large leaps that virtualization has taken in just the past few years and all the rumors I hear about what's next just makes me giddy.

Upvote 0
This may not be the solution for all traveling business folks...if you travel to places that don't have readily available Internet then you're obviously not going to buy a cloud based pc/laptop. Cloud based OS's are the future and are fast approaching. It just makes sense. 90% of users don't do anything besides browse the web, watch youtube, type documents, etc. Soon enough you'll just have a little box that you plug your monitor, keyboard and mouse into that just pulls up your Cloud based desktop. No need for a big beefy processor with 4 gigs of RAM and 500 gigs of local storage anymore. God, I'd love if I could get something like that for my mom so I could stop repairing her PC every time she downloads some crap to it.

Cloud based services are here to stay and will eventually take over as most users home PC and I can't wait to see what the future brings for this young technology. I've already seen the large leaps that virtualization has taken in just the past few years and all the rumors I hear about what's next just makes me giddy.

ill somewhat agree with you...i don't think we are quite that far along though. i still think there will be a use for a powerful home computer that you access via remote. i just think there are too many benefits of having access to the box still. but i'm a gamer so i need mah home pc.

the internet speeds are catching up pretty quickly so it is gonna be sooner than later that you have your pure cloud pc/home remote pc that has the horsepower and your mobile devices to access them....you really don't need much on the mobile end.

i laughed 6 yrs ago when somebody told me home pc's are obsolete and will be phased out in 5 yrs....there will be a use for a home pc for some years to come imo. whether it be from the dying pc gamer such as me or the accountant that refuses to hook the computer up to the net.

thats my take anyways :/

and why the fawk are spam bots always attracted to my posts?

Upvote 0
That's why I said 90% or thereabouts...not everyone can use a solely cloud based PC. A cloud based PC with a powerful GPU could come into play though, look at the new Chrome browser that can take full advantage of the GPU. There are lots of what I would consider grahpics intensive (compared to most web games) games in the Chrome Web Store. That being said, I don't see myself getting rid of my home PCs because I use them for other reasons...servers, SAN, HTPC, etc.

Anyway, the evolution of Cloud based OSs is going to be very fun to watch. They're pretty much hardware agnostic so you can run them on your MAC. It'll be interesting to see how Microsoft and Apple react. I wouldn't doubt that we see a cloud based Windows OS sometime down the road...maybe they'll call it Windows Cumulus or something like that. Very exciting times :)

Upvote 0
^U bring up a good point about the Mac.

Look at the apps that have a portable version. Portable apps + cloud based OS....

Your desktop can be be with you on the go already with certain portable apps....cloud based OS makes it even more portable.

I remember some browser based OS's back in the day before Chrome OS. (one or more of them might actually be early Chrome OS..) I remember hearing about MS dabbling in a cloud based OS too some years ago.

I tried looking for this stuff I ran across years ago today....I cant remember where I was hanging out back then...lol

Like with most things, back then it seemed like a far off idea....looks like Google is trying to make it a reality sooner than we think....

Upvote 0
Web app that tracks chrome os shipments
Web app tracks Google Cr-48 Chrome OS netbooks as they're shipped, prolongs hope for masses

I hope this is legit, I live in a small town and it says that a cr-48 was shipped on 12/10 via ground. This just Made my heart flutter... We're pretty simple folk here, so I'm hoping, praying that I'm the only one geeky enough in this city to have applied for one!

I've been checking my mail every day for this.

For everybody who has doubts about all this, let me remind you that this is in development and it has one killer feature that puts it above all the other laptops out there- its free! You get to tinker with new tech for free? Hells yeah! I have doubts too about the whole cloud computing thing but there's only one way to find out.

And I was thinking about getting a MacBook too... Gimmie a cr-48 instead!

Upvote 0
Goodness, like the dude in China, this does not sit well. There are bunches of places where Internet access does not occur and from what we read from the above, you have to have Internet access in order to do anything. Not good. Say I wanna go hiiking to a remote location that has no Internet cafe, no cell coverage, et cetera and I decide to do some work, goodness, ain't gonna happen.

Upvote 0
Goodness, like the dude in China, this does not sit well. There are bunches of places where Internet access does not occur and from what we read from the above, you have to have Internet access in order to do anything. Not good. Say I wanna go hiiking to a remote location that has no Internet cafe, no cell coverage, et cetera and I decide to do some work, goodness, ain't gonna happen.

You obviously haven't read this thread...or just aren't paying attention. It's NOT for everyone. That being said, I'm more than confident that there will be some offline functionality introduced if it's not there now. For example, with VMware View (a virtual desktop solution), you can run in Offline mode then when you are back online your changes are sync'd back with your virtual desktop running at a remote location. VDI is basically the same thing as a cloud based OS such as Chrome OS. Advances will be made, don't think Google is so naive that they wouldn't have thought of this. Anyway, this is a BETA program. Don't sign up for it.

Upvote 0
Has anybody gotten one yet?

The lone cr-48 headed to my town has been on "billing information received" since 12/10... it's like stuck there. But then again, that was a Friday, maybe things slowed down on the weekend, and with the bad weather, maybe things have been slowed down.

The wait is killing me!

Upvote 0
they arent actually planning on releasing this notebook to the public. all that they are building it for period is to test the OS so eventually samsung, acer, and a few others I know have already said they will be releasing notebooks and netbooks with Chrome running as the OS. Personally I like the idea. I have a desktop I can do word processing on so really all i need is something for on the go social networking and maybe online research for school. hulu and a few other websites would more then take care of any video watching I would ever do

Upvote 0
Just checked the cr-48 tracker.
A CR-48 is 3.3 miles from my home... so close...

Now there is some talk that android will absorb chrome os or "beat" chrome os. The 2 OSs overlap in a lot of areas. Would you pick a Android tablet? A Chrome OS tablet? A Chrome OS netbook?

I just wonder where Chrome OS fits into all of this. It's not a desktop replacement for power users, but it can get the basics done. But so can an Android tablet.

Upvote 0
As I see it, it is very simple. Chrome OS = device with keyboard for content generation and consumption.
Android = touchscreen mainly for content consumption, very little generation.

I don't think you will ever see Chrome OS tablet, thats androids market. Also, I don't think you will see a Chrome OS desktop any time soon. The market that Google is looking at is the large group of people that never leave their browsers. My mom is a perfect example. On the average day she never uses anything other than the browser. She still wants something in the laptop/netbook format with a regular keyboard. Chrome OS would be perfect for her. Maybe that is Google's mistake, letting techie people test out a device that is designed for novice users.

Upvote 0
x2_3c2a981

One arrived at my door yesterday...I did a double take because I couldn't believe it. Posting from it now. Initial impressions are that it's solid and does its job well...cloud computing. I think this is going to be huge.

Upvote 0
Maybe that is Google's mistake, letting techie people test out a device that is designed for novice users.

I would think that they would select cr-48 candidates across a broad spectrum- the geeky guy that's gonna flip on developer mode and install Android 2.3 for fun to the person who just tweets and checks email.

On my application, I said I was looking for a new laptop and the CR-48 would be my prirary laptop. I would just do the usual- internet, music, video, MS Office/google doc editing. Absolutely nothing special about my application.

I wonder how many people applied for this?

BTW, Congrats SoFLO!

Upvote 0
Battery is HP...leads me to think the rest of the system is.

ice: /org/freedesktop/DeviceKit/Power/devices/battery_BAT0
native-path: /sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0C0A:00/power_supply/BAT0
vendor: Hewlett-Packard
model: Primary
serial: 00070 11/27/2010
power supply: yes
updated: Wed Dec 15 20:20:48 2010 (24 seconds ago)
has history: yes
has statistics: yes
battery
present: yes
rechargeable: yes
state: charging
energy: 60.8724 Wh
energy-empty: 0 Wh
energy-full: 62.9296 Wh
energy-full-design: 62.9296 Wh
energy-rate: 5.0764 W
voltage: 16.69 V
time to full: 24.3 minutes
percentage: 96.731%
capacity: 100%
technology: lithium-ion
History (charge):
1292466048 96.731 charging
1292466018 96.660 charging
1292465988 96.590 charging
History (rate):
1292466048 5.076 charging
1292466018 5.106 charging
1292465988 5.121 charging

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones