who's towers?General

Last Updated:

1. jb59

jb59 Active Member

My wife is interested in the Precedent. We saw it at a local Walmart today but we're not sure how to tell who's towers will be used once we get the phone. Verizon seems to work best in the area we are in and I noticed the package did say CDMA but I also read the reviews and some said Verizon and others said the carrier was Sprint. We live near some mountains in PA and Sprint just don't hack it out here.

Is there any way to tell for sure who the carrier would be?

Advertisement
  2. akashik

akashik Well-Known Member

It's Sprint. All straight Talk smart phones use Sprint. The 'dumb' phones use Verizon.
    jb59 likes this.
  3. xPureEvilx

xPureEvilx Well-Known Member

If they have it at your local walmart, it will most likely work in your area (assuming you dont live in the country and real far away from any city).

This will help too:
    Support - Service Area

My opinion:
    The precedent isnt the best Droid phone out there, but for the price of the plan and the cheap Droid phones you really cant beat it. It will do almost anything you need it to and with a little tweaking you can turn it into a pretty good thing.
    jb59 likes this.
  4. jb59

jb59 Active Member

Thanks much for that link (and the info)!

5. xPureEvilx

xPureEvilx Well-Known Member

no problem =)
  6. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

You do have 30 days to return the phone, but you can't return the $45 card - so if Sprint doesn't cut it where you are, it might cost you $45 to find out.

What your wife can do, if she wants an Android phone (best choice IMO), is buy one for AT&T or Tmobile, whichever one has better coverage where you are, and buy a SIM card from Straight Talk (you'll have to buy it on their site - Welcome | Straight Talk) to get an Android phone on the carrier that's best for you. There are instructions all over the web (including the Straight Talk site) for setting the phone up.

The phone can be locked or unlocked. It can be whatever level phone you want - a cheap GoPhone or a Samsung Nexus. First decide on the carrier (talk to friends, use their phones, etc.), then the phone that's designed to work on that carrier. You'll roam on the other one, but only for voice and text. (The type of SIM you'll need is determined by the phone you buy.)