• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Who's used Koush's ROM?

I wish SPRecovery would have used the correct version of nandroid like Koush does. If SPRecovery used a proper version of nandroid then all nandroid ROM's would be compatible with it. Also the reason his recovery is needed is because to flash the CyanMod ROM you need certs disabled but SPRecovery doesn't do this so it won't allow you to flash it. This isn't Koush trying to lock things down. It's actually Koush doing everything the correct way and well SPRecovery doing it a......different way. Oh and he just added ROM manager support!

What am I missing?

I installed this by renaming the 'cyanogen_sholes-ota-eng.koush_1.0.2.zip' file to 'update.zip'. Then I put it on the root of my SD card BAM! Everything is functional. I was even able to back it up via SPRecovery, flashed a different rom, and then I restored my cyanogen rom...worked fine. The only issue I have had is that I can't install AdamZ kernels on it...it force closes EVERYTHING when you boot up and I had to pull the battery to reboot.

Someone who installed this the "right" way...please cross reference your "About" screen with mine below. I wan't to make sure the build information is the same. Thanks!

jqMN2.jpg
sbPxn.jpg

Upvote 0
What am I missing?

I installed this by renaming the 'cyanogen_sholes-ota-eng.koush_1.0.2.zip' file to 'update.zip'. Then I put it on the root of my SD card BAM! Everything is functional. I was even able to back it up via SPRecovery, flashed a different rom, and then I restored my cyanogen rom...worked fine. The only issue I have had is that I can't install AdamZ kernels on it...it force closes EVERYTHING when you boot up and I had to pull the battery to reboot.

Someone who installed this the "right" way...please cross reference your "About" screen with mine below. I wan't to make sure the build information is the same. Thanks!

jqMN2.jpg
sbPxn.jpg

Two differences in mine

-Kernel Version ends in "ubuntu #1" rather than "ubuntu #21"
-Mod Version lists as "CyanogenMod-5.0.4-Droid" rather than "Unknown"

As far as I know, as an update.zip it should work fine. It's the format of the Nandroid backups that are not compatible between the two recovery systems.

Reactions: UBRocked
Upvote 0
Okay, I was driving myself nuts trying to figure out why this worked for me.

I did try to install the themed version (linked above) and installation aborted. I wan't to try it but I am not ready to just blindly flash to a new recovery...I hate change :)

Edit: Thanks! I just had to add that...the little "Thanks" button seems so impersonal and I appreciate you checking that out for me.

Can you do me another favor and post your findings with flashing back to other roms now that you are using the new recovery?

Upvote 0
I did, and I'm getting used to it, but it feels kinda foreign. Haven't done much with the ROM yet, I just finished downloading that theme and I want to apply it before I do much else.

If I get really uncomfortable with it for some reason I figure I can always just flash SPRecovery back.

I'll update with information on switching ROMs if I do go between any with Clockwork Recovery. Right now I'm gonna stick with this one for a while. The working 2.1 Launcher with the four icon docks is just sweet. Speed and fluidity are good, basically on par with other ESE53 ROMs I've used.

Upvote 0
He may have changed around some thing with the help of Cyan to make it work on other recoveries. Personally I love Clockwork recovery, I'm not using Koush's ROM now but I kept his recovery on. He is a true developer unlike basically everyone else, although I still have huuuuuge respect for most of the other guys. Koush is actually building a ROM straight from source code and compiling it himself. No one else has done this for the Droid yet.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I love his ROM... But his recovery leaves a LOT to be desired. Whenever I screw something up, I'm having to install an older ROM and start from scratch.

Also, I have two droids, so I usually tweak one the way I want it, then make a backup and load it onto the second phone. I can't do that with his recovery. It keeps giving me error messages. Its insanely irritating. I'm really thinking about ditching his ROM just for that reason.

Recovery = poop.

Upvote 0
ok I gave up on this annoying ROM. I flashed the clockworkmod recovery and it the rom just fced off the bat on me, redownloaded a new copy and same thing. Flashed back to SPrecovery since people say they can get it working by renaming it update.zip, tried that and installation aborted. I guess god is telling me to keep BB 2.1 on here

Upvote 0
i was using petes ese53 rom and i just did an update to this via update.zip. no need to flash his recovery console. this rom works well. the launcher is badass

Just making sure I understand..
you just did an update as if you were going from one of Pete's releases to the next (like from v0.7 to v0.8)? but instead used the Koush's 5.0.4 update.zip?

What cpu speed is Koush's ROM set for?

Upvote 0
Just making sure I understand..
you just did an update as if you were going from one of Pete's releases to the next (like from v0.7 to v0.8)? but instead used the Koush's 5.0.4 update.zip?

What cpu speed is Koush's ROM set for?

The kernel maxes at 1000, but you should be able to install other kernels if you want.

Upvote 0
I just loaded Koush's ROM and wow this thing is incredible. :eek: Best ROM I have seen to date. Even with the 2.1 3d launcher. I used to get FC's immediately but I am going on the first hour and none yet. Smooth as butter, and I don't know what it is but just yesterday I was using simplystunning 2.02 and it ran constantly over 100 degress, this ROM is running noticeably cooler. I haven't hit 100 yet.

Still at work now, can't wait to mess with some themes later.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones