Who's using a screen protector on Optimus S?Tips

1. ZDroid1

ZDroid1 Well-Known Member

I just got my Optimus S and it's completely naked. Am I crazy?

Is the screen plastic or glass anyway?

Advertisement
    :
  2. jtcady

jtcady Well-Known Member

I am not, but it is plastic.
  3. ZDroid1

ZDroid1 Well-Known Member

Why not? How long have you had it, and does it have any scratches?
  4. jtcady

jtcady Well-Known Member

I have had it for a few months now. I bought a silicon case for it so if it does fall it sticks out just enough so the screen does not hit. I planned on buying a Phantom Skinz protector but no need so far (zero scratches).
  5. dillon4126

dillon4126 Member

6. gilbequick

gilbequick Well-Known Member

7. stchman

stchman Active Member

I cannot see LG making any screen changes from the Optimus S, M, T, or U. They are all 16M colors 480x320 screens. They are all priced at around the same price point.

The Sprint guy told me that the Optimus S is a glass screen, just not as good a grade of glass as the Evo or Epic.

Where do people get the info that the screen is plastic?
  8. apinkel

apinkel Well-Known Member

It is plastic. If you've had a phone with a glass screen and one w plastic, it's pretty easy to tell the difference.

Someone found specs once upon a time that said it was a type of fiberglass screen. Some specs say glass but I think that's a marketing guy who got carried away (or one of the phones... supposedly the Optimus U, really does have a glass screen).
  9. bob13bob

bob13bob Member

i've scratched min within one month of havign it. I've also scratched my evo. =/ for me i need a screen protector.
  10. Ez Duzit

Ez Duzit Active Member

I originally ordered some cheap screen protectors right after I ordered the phone. Of course they turned out to be complete garbage.
    So then I looked around a bit and decided on ScreenGuardz. The company makes a hard version and also a softer more flexible screen protector for the Optimus S. I got the the softer ones.
    Each screen protector comes on a peel off card and is cut perfectly to size. These are dry apply, and they include a small squeegee to smooth out the bubbles. Texture wise, they're similar to the screen protector that was on the phone when you first took it out of the box, and they're relatively easy to apply. There's even a short "how to apply" video on their web site.

These are good quality for a good price, which makes them a great value. Definitely a thumbs up.
  11. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

If feel is a way to tell, then comparing to the EVO I would guess it is plastic. Since "my" optimus is carried by an 11 year old, it would have a screen protector if it was made of granite instead of glass.

I cut one of the sprint evo protectors to fit.
  12. 03exlnav

03exlnav New Member

Installed my clarivue privacy screen protector about 6 days ago. Dry install, no sticky stuff and the privacy one I ordered also helps cut down on fingerprints/oils. i am finding that i keep my brightness higher then before but not enough to notice any additional battery drain. Being the anal retentive guy that I am I applied it with latex gloves as to avoid fingerprints or dust. Had 2 air bubbles which worried me at first but they did indeed disappear after 48hrs =)

The privacy screen protector does make a noise when i'm swiping whereas without it the naked screen was silent operation. I can't compare to a regular screen protector as this is my first protector, my first android, and well my first smart phone.

Damn I miss my Nokia's physical keyboard =(
  13. stevenva

stevenva Member

First post on this site. Hi
  14. stevenva

stevenva Member

15. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Well-Known Member

Metal (like keys or coins) will definitely scratch the LG Optimus screen. My family of 4 has Optimus S's so I immediately got cheap, dry-application screen protectors for my kids on eBay. They were kinda crappy and soon started to bubble & peel off. Then (after my first screen scratch) I bought a different brand of cheap dry-application screen protectors on ebay, for the whole family and they've worked perfectly (no bubbles or peeling) for about 6 months so far. The were 5-for-$3. I got them from an ebay vendor named "spshop88". I would definitely buy them again. They work perfectly and look good.
    Samsung, Blackberry items in spshop88 store on eBay!

I got soft silicone cases for all of us. I like the silicon cases better than the hard cases becaues:
    1) They're soft and very shock absorbant. (Accidentally tested and passed with flying colors.)
    2) They're kinda "sticky". Well, they're not really "sticky", but they don't slip and slide, so they're not as likely to get dropped or slide off a table or car or something.
  16. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

I was nervous about not having screen protection but never bothered to do anything about it other than keeping the phone in a dedicated pocket. So far, after almost a year, no problem.