• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whose GPS is have zero issues

Worthwhile to know if its worth it to try to manually upgrade the os which should make everything faster and better. Gps locking, processor speed, everything. Because 2.1 is giving me no hiccups in gps. But 2.2 is supposed to give a speed boost and fix gps issues. So wondering if its worth it to do

I haven't tested it. But I'll tell you that if you do have GPS issues, you can re-flash until it's fixed.

Upvote 0
Here are my issues regarding the Epic 4G in Airplane Mode. (note: I am rooted on DK28, I normally get locks within 1 to 2 meters now )

1. Turn GPS off. Turn Airplane Mode on. Turn GPS on. GPS will not see or lock onto any satellites.

2. Turn Airplane Mode off. Turn Wifi & 4G off. Turn GPS on while in 3G. Use GPS Status to confirm locks on satellites. Turn Airplane Mode on. Take the Epic for a drive and see how long it lasts. I did this today and lost the locks after 5 miles.

3. Repeat step 2 in an actual airplane. I lost the locks as the plane reached maximum acceleration before take-off (yes, I "snuck a peak at my phone")

I would be most interested to hear from anyone with an Epic that could confirm findings in 1), 2) or 3). I would also be interested in EVO's performance in same situations, as I am about fed up with this phone.

Upvote 0
Well, I've got a Garmin GPS for my car so I can only compare it to that.

Compared to the Garmin, the Epic seems to take longer to get a signal lock. Sometimes it's only a few seconds more but often it's quite a bit more.

On the other hand, I really prefer the navigation on the Epic because I can get traffic updates, it has MUCH smoother 3D graphics, and there are all those other cool features like the seeing a satellite or street corner view. The traffic stuff is really a life-saver now that I'm back in Los Angeles.

I think that if I didn't have a dedicated GPS for my car, the Epic GPS would bug me when it takes too long to find a lock. However, since I have both, I power them both on at the same time and if the Epic is taking too long I switch to the Garmin.

Upvote 0
Here are my issues regarding the Epic 4G in Airplane Mode. (note: I am rooted on DK28, I normally get locks within 1 to 2 meters now )

1. Turn GPS off. Turn Airplane Mode on. Turn GPS on. GPS will not see or lock onto any satellites.

2. Turn Airplane Mode off. Turn Wifi & 4G off. Turn GPS on while in 3G. Use GPS Status to confirm locks on satellites. Turn Airplane Mode on. Take the Epic for a drive and see how long it lasts. I did this today and lost the locks after 5 miles.

3. Repeat step 2 in an actual airplane. I lost the locks as the plane reached maximum acceleration before take-off (yes, I "snuck a peak at my phone")

I would be most interested to hear from anyone with an Epic that could confirm findings in 1), 2) or 3). I would also be interested in EVO's performance in same situations, as I am about fed up with this phone.

Umm... maybe I'm missing something... but usually when you turn it to Airplane mode... that turns off ALL sending and receiving.

Upvote 0
Did you even try #2? Your GPS will work in Airplane Mode, but it seems to have limitations. I am trying to determine whether it is limited to my phone or if it is symptomatic of all phones.

I just have to do #1 to tell you that...

you don't get a GPS lock with it in airplane mode. and subsequently, even if you had one before, out of airplane mode, and turn it to airplane mode... there's your problem. it's says airplane mode for a reason.

Upvote 0

Can anybody else confirm/refute any of these issues? On Evo or Epic?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones