Whose GPS is have zero issues

1. Be you on 2.1 or a 2.2 leak.

I'm on Android 2.2 DK28 and have had ZERO issues since I flashed it via Odin.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Damar1979

Damar1979 Well-Known Member

What rom are you running?
  3. djsdaman84

djsdaman84 Member

im having zero issues as well! I'm running the dk28 leak and was having issues until i went back to 2.1 turned my gps on and left it on then flashed back to dk28. Now i'm consistently getting a lock within 1 meter!
  4. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Well-Known Member

I'm on a bone stock Epic. No root, no ROM. No GPS issues.

Maybe it's just the way I use the phone. I don't use GPS all that much, and I leave GPS turned off except when I need it from time to time.

-SF
  5. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo Well-Known Member

No issues with my GPS, i know it is used by the Sprint Navigation and i use that a few times a week. Running a stock Epic.
  6. Pitbull329

Pitbull329 Well-Known Member

x2

:cool:
  7. Epicurean

Epicurean Well-Known Member

The only issues I have is when in Airplane Mode. Also, the Epic has known issues with the ephemeris and almanac when GPS is started in WiFi or 4G. I will be testing that out more extensively while on the road this week.
  8. ijeggert

ijeggert Well-Known Member

I've used my GPS a few times, even used it instead of my GPS unit on a drive from Miami to Orlando, it was right on the whole time. Though I was disappointed that it took the turnpike instead of Old 27, but regardless, the GPS worked fine.
  9. Damar1979

What are your processor performance quadrant scores?
  10. How is that relevant?
  11. Damar1979

Worthwhile to know if its worth it to try to manually upgrade the os which should make everything faster and better. Gps locking, processor speed, everything. Because 2.1 is giving me no hiccups in gps. But 2.2 is supposed to give a speed boost and fix gps issues. So wondering if its worth it to do
  12. I haven't tested it. But I'll tell you that if you do have GPS issues, you can re-flash until it's fixed.
  13. regression

regression Well-Known Member

What are you re-flashing? Do you have instructions (or a sticky thread somewhere) that details the procedure?
  14. Epicurean

Here are my issues regarding the Epic 4G in Airplane Mode. (note: I am rooted on DK28, I normally get locks within 1 to 2 meters now )

1. Turn GPS off. Turn Airplane Mode on. Turn GPS on. GPS will not see or lock onto any satellites.

2. Turn Airplane Mode off. Turn Wifi & 4G off. Turn GPS on while in 3G. Use GPS Status to confirm locks on satellites. Turn Airplane Mode on. Take the Epic for a drive and see how long it lasts. I did this today and lost the locks after 5 miles.

3. Repeat step 2 in an actual airplane. I lost the locks as the plane reached maximum acceleration before take-off (yes, I "snuck a peak at my phone")

I would be most interested to hear from anyone with an Epic that could confirm findings in 1), 2) or 3). I would also be interested in EVO's performance in same situations, as I am about fed up with this phone.
  15. DavidBeier

DavidBeier Active Member

Well, I've got a Garmin GPS for my car so I can only compare it to that.

Compared to the Garmin, the Epic seems to take longer to get a signal lock. Sometimes it's only a few seconds more but often it's quite a bit more.

On the other hand, I really prefer the navigation on the Epic because I can get traffic updates, it has MUCH smoother 3D graphics, and there are all those other cool features like the seeing a satellite or street corner view. The traffic stuff is really a life-saver now that I'm back in Los Angeles.

I think that if I didn't have a dedicated GPS for my car, the Epic GPS would bug me when it takes too long to find a lock. However, since I have both, I power them both on at the same time and if the Epic is taking too long I switch to the Garmin.
  16. ijeggert

Umm... maybe I'm missing something... but usually when you turn it to Airplane mode... that turns off ALL sending and receiving.
  17. pablo.station

pablo.station Well-Known Member

Im stock DK28 2.2

My GPS doesn't work for sh1t now unless I have WiFi turned on in which case it still isn't very accurate. When i was using 2.1 it was decent.
  18. Re-flash DK28 until it works. That's how I remedied the situation.
  19. cujo2344

cujo2344 Member

Mine has worked flawlessly since day one out of the package under all versions.
  20. Epicurean

Did you even try #2? Your GPS will work in Airplane Mode, but it seems to have limitations. I am trying to determine whether it is limited to my phone or if it is symptomatic of all phones.
  21. ijeggert

I just have to do #1 to tell you that...

you don't get a GPS lock with it in airplane mode. and subsequently, even if you had one before, out of airplane mode, and turn it to airplane mode... there's your problem. it's says airplane mode for a reason.
  22. Epicurean

Can anybody else confirm/refute any of these issues? On Evo or Epic?
  23. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Since I don't use gps in airplane mode, I kinda don't care. Running quantum 2.7 without the latest map update and have no issues for normal use.