why a FAT32 partition ?

Last Updated:

1. brjoon1021

brjoon1021 Member This Topic's Starter

I am under the impression that ext2 and ext3 (esp. ext2) are faster. What is the use of a FAT32 partition ?

Does Linux still crash when trying to mount and access the phone even after rooting ? I can access my stock G1 with windows but it hoses my Linux computers every single time - have to power down to unlock. Is that still the case after rooting ? If not, then I suppose that Linux users have no need for a FAT32 partition, right ? Isn't it just so that a Windows computer can access the phone ?

Thanks,
    - New to all of this, but want to get more time out of my G1. Waiting for an incredible t-mobile phone to come out before I mothball my G1

B

Advertisement
  2. fratermus

fratermus Well-Known Member

I suspect fat32 is for Windoze compatibility.

Are you saying you can't umount the drive in linux? The most common reason folks can't umount a drive is that they have cd into it. (ie, standing on the carpet you are trying to remove from the room). Forgive me if you already know this kind of thing; I do not know your familiarity w/linux.

3. brjoon1021

brjoon1021 Member This Topic's Starter

what happens under Linux is this: when I USB the phone to the Linux box and then try to access the phones contents, the compute locks up from which there is no return. I don't recall if the phone itself brings up the prompt to mount, in the first place. However, the phone can be seen by Konqueror, Dolphin, etc... but accessing the contents really causes a bad lockup.