1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

why all the hate??

1. scoob55

scoob55 Well-Known Member

with taskkillers???? i can see the point made about applications and services running automatically and if you kill it, it will just come back....but say i open 20 games and apps.....(not all have exit button)....they are still taking up cpu and memory cause they are still running even though im not in them anymore..which a taskkiller would.....kill..........is there something im missing thats so terrible about taskkillers?????????????????

Advertisement
  2. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

They force the system to do something it's not intended to do.

When an application is 'exited' (hit the home button) it goes into 'standby'. It's not using CPU, but yes it's taking memory.
    Android and linux in general does NOT use RAM (memory) like windows does. The more that's used up, the better. That means everything is cached, and ready to go. If you're constantly purging the memory out with senseless killing, you're forcing more CPU cycles to be used every time you open something. Live, and let live.

No for the hard part.

TL;DR
    They're bad because they make the phone work more and it kills your battery. Let your phone work like it's supposed to.
    Also, 2.2 makes any and all task killers fail, which is just hilarious. People still insist on using them, when with 2.2 is just using CPU and battery trying to kill things it can't.
  3. rkkeller

rkkeller Well-Known Member

FWIW :> I have had benefits from killing apps no matter how the OS works and there "are" poorly written apps that can cause problems, continue to run, drain battery, cause slowdown and all that.

I dont use an app just right from the settings/apps/screens themselves.
  4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Read the usual guides referred to in every task killer thread. That's what you're missing. It's a well-beaten dead horse. At least read what has been constantly rehashed before rehashing yet again for the nth time... :rolleyes:

There's a reason why there are so many task killer threads with the same information posted over and over and over. How is this thread any different?

But are you having real symptoms other than the alleged cpu and memory usage or are you just fixating on those numbers? CPU and memory usage in and of themselves aren't issues. Give us a real example. Go ahead and open 20 games and apps and then post your actual CPU and memory usage. For one thing, I doubt all 20 apps are still using memory and CPU but it's a possibility. Please also tell us what problem(s) you're actually having after running the apps.

The real problem with task killers is that they address symptoms only. They are easily misused by ignorant noobs who can actually cause themselves more problems than solutions without a proper understanding of the Android OS and are, instead, operating on some random notion of how Android "should" work. If you feel that you truly need a task killer then you really should contact the dev of the app that is the actual problem and have the dev address the problem with the app.
  5. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Agreed. This has been covered extensively before. If you've read enough to see "all the hate", then you've read enough to read the reasons many times over.

Therefore, I'll simply link you here:

Task killers - CapFAQ