• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Why am I getting 10 kBps download on HSPA?

No_Nickname90

Dec 27, 2010
Who? Stun?
Since the start of this year in January, the area around where I live, my HSPA on my G2 has been acting up. I did a factory reset, running stock firmwire, no root, and all of a sudden I noticed that I wasn't getting any signal when I connect to HSPA.

I get no internet, and cellphone signal, yet my HSPA bar is full and everything. I switch to 2g and everything works fine. I can go around the internet, my calls connect instantly, I open market and it starts loading no problems.

I downloaded SpeedTest.net to see what I was getting for my internet speeds.

Apparently I'm getting faster internet speeds on 2g than I am on 4g. And this is recent. It wasn't like this before. This started at the beginning of the New Year. The first week Jan 2-8th 2011. I got the phone in Nov. 2010 and HSPA was as fast as it was anywhere else.

I can get 30 kBps on 2g, but I'm barely getting 10 kBps on HSPA

Also, my signal strength is
-79-85 dBm
14-16 asu

Is that good signal strength, because I don't know.

And it gets worst. When I travel around Houston, like I'm on the Southwest, but when I go to school on the Northwest, I get up to 250 kBps, like I'm supposed to. There isn't any problems with me connecting around that area.

Could a cellphone tower I used to connect to have falling or something? I mean, what could be the problem? Anyone else in Houston having issues connecting to HSPA? If not, drive around the Southwest and see if your phone can still connect.

Sorry it's wordy, but my wi-fi is going to be off for a month starting next week, and Ima need to tether to my phone so I can do my homework, but I don't think I want to wait for the next messiah just to load the login page. -_-

Thanks for any help. I'm going to Tmo again to see if they'll say anything other than do a soft reset. -_-

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones