• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Why am i getting "low memory" notification"?

excav8ter

Android Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2010
Hey all, a few weeks ago my Iconia started giving me a low memory notice on the lower right side of my screen. I have un-installed every app I don't use, as well as moving all my pictures to Drop box, and I still get this notice. When I click on it, it shows that I have anywhere between 275mb and 410mb of memory. Am I missing something? I have the 16gb Iconia. I think I have a screen shot from this morning attached.....

Attachments

• IMG_2012111118413.jpg
    IMG_2012111118413.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 137
If you are using your GPS and are on ICS the tablet writes text files to the root of the tablet. The only way to get rid of them is to either root the tablet or do a factory reset. We had an indepth discussion on this subject in one of the other forum posts. If you look for all my posts or all the posts from Mrhelper you will find your answer.

Upvote 0
If you are using any kind of gps software, and your gps is turned on, you are going to end up with problems if you are on ICS. ICS generates text files in a file in the root that are not automaticly deleted. You have to root the tablet and go in and manualy delete them or do a factory reset to get rid on them.

Upvote 0
I realize it writes - but if I'm in the same spot, all it can write is the basic Lat/Long each time. Now if I'm using turn by turn navigation, I can see a much larger file since there is a miniscule change in both when you move.

The astronomy programs just check coordinates on opening - so does Weatherbug. After that, they don't check constantly to see if your location has changed like a navigation program unless you close the app. You can actually use these programs by entering coordinates manually and turning OFF GPS.

I guess what I'm asking is how much it logs if there is no change in position and no real demand for an update. Does it work on a set time or just a different location?

These programs are not true GPS users. Since ICS allows disabling - maps and social type locations have been disabled.

Upvote 0
I am not really interested in rooting my Iconia..... am I just plain out of luck? What caused this to start happening? Is it ICS? Its a pain in my drain. I can't even update the YouTube app, because it says there isn't enough space. I removed nearly every downloaded app.....

.....kinda frustrating....

Upvote 0
If you are on ICS and you use GPS you are going to have a problem. If you are a techie you can follow Mrhelpers sugestion above. Or you can do a factory reset and then when it fills again keep doing the reset. But be for warned, when you do a factory reset you have to go back and restore all your apps and what ever you have saved, savew before you reset. A factory reset takes it back to as tho it has a fresh install. I was opposed to the rooting but after rooting I found it's not that different, just the permissions change but you can delete the offending files that way. If you root, you can go in, delete the files and continue useing your tablet the way you always do, just go in every now and then and remove the taxt files that build up. You don't have to do a reset every couple of weeks that way.

Upvote 0
Would someone PLEASE tell me where GPS writes/stores the files? Since you are saying root - I assume its in GAPPS somewhere.

I have had the tablet for a year, do use the GPS at times (only in astronomy apps and weatherbug) , and haven't seen the memory error (knock on wood). If I do, I'll root the tablet. I want to know why such a difference.

If I do root the tablet - Maps would be deleted, totally. Anything social will be deleted. Acer's junk will be deleted if not frozen.

If the GPS uses Google Maps to store the text, I've disabled Maps. I've disabled Location. These no longer show up in updates in Play. I've disabled all of Acer's junk.

I've noticed that my astronomy apps have to check the GPS each time I open one. So does Weatherbug. If there was a stored text file, wouldn't they just access it?

Does the A100 have this problem, too?

Upvote 0
Would someone PLEASE tell me where GPS writes/stores the files? Since you are saying root - I assume its in GAPPS somewhere.

I have had the tablet for a year, do use the GPS at times (only in astronomy apps and weatherbug) , and haven't seen the memory error (knock on wood). If I do, I'll root the tablet. I want to know why such a difference.

If I do root the tablet - Maps would be deleted, totally. Anything social will be deleted. Acer's junk will be deleted if not frozen.

If the GPS uses Google Maps to store the text, I've disabled Maps. I've disabled Location. These no longer show up in updates in Play. I've disabled all of Acer's junk.

I've noticed that my astronomy apps have to check the GPS each time I open one. So does Weatherbug. If there was a stored text file, wouldn't they just access it?

Does the A100 have this problem, too?

The the .txt files from GPS receiver debug logging are written into /data/gps. You can delete them if you have root privileges.

If you turn off GPS Satellites under Settings > Location services, the GPS will not run, so it will then also not write any log files into /data/gps.

You can permanently resolve the problem as described here by turning off the unnecessary logging: http://androidforums.com/acer-iconia-tab-a200/643386-i-ran-out-space-ugh-solution.html#post5169892.

This has nothing to do with Google Maps or any other app. This is an internal OS issue that was delivered by Acer in the stock ICS build on all Iconia tablets, including the a500, a100, and a200.

Upvote 0
Thank you. That makes sense. I like to know WHERE the problem is.

I've seen updates cause a problem, users cause a problem, hardware cause a problem, software cause a problem.

This is a problem then that is not user caused. Stating that from the get-go might relieve some new users, as a lot of their reactions seem to be "OMG, What did I do?"

I automatically suspect social networking of some sort tracking information.

Upvote 0
If you root your tablet you loose nothing. If you do a factory reset you loose it all and have to start over. So all that happens when you root is that you gain access to files that are otherwise hidden. When you root you gain access to those hidden files.There are a great many tutorials out there on how to root. I was scared to root my tablet at first and Mrhelper talked me through it to ease my fears. It's easy to do and doesn't reall affect then way you tablet normally works. Everything stays juas as it is now.

Upvote 0
My phone is rooted and has been for while so I understand rooting. The tablet is wifi only with no carrier bloat and I can control (disable) most of the other apps so I haven't bothered to root it.

It's one huge library, astronomical observatory, nature library, music player, and I use the HDMI for youtube educational downloads. I'm not a traditional user.

Upvote 0
I can't answer the "others" since the only tablet I have is my A500. Mrhelper has several tables and would be more aware of what, if any other tablets have the problem. It is only a problem if you have ICS installed. I don't know if the problem still exists if you update to JB or not. I do know it has caused alot of ill will tward Acer for the problem they have caused. They did the same thing to us with the 3.1 update that killed the wifi on so many tablets around the world. They aparently don't have qualified people doing their pre release testing before they send out updates. That is one reason I will never invest in another Acer product again. I love my tab let, and with this forum it has made owning an A500 far less risky.
For those interested...• November 1st Launch -- Novo Hero 10.1" - Dual Core -- High Resolution 1280 X 800 IPS Display | TabletSprint. I ran across this web site this evening. Looks promising!

Upvote 0
The the .txt files from GPS receiver debug logging are written into /data/gps. You can delete them if you have root privileges.

If you turn off GPS Satellites under Settings > Location services, the GPS will not run, so it will then also not write any log files into /data/gps.

You can permanently resolve the problem as described here by turning off the unnecessary logging: http://androidforums.com/acer-iconia-tab-a200/643386-i-ran-out-space-ugh-solution.html#post5169892.

This has nothing to do with Google Maps or any other app. This is an internal OS issue that was delivered by Acer in the stock ICS build on all Iconia tablets, including the a500, a100, and a200.

So I carefully followed the instructions, gained root access, and when I check for log files in /data/gps, I find no folder called gps. I'm still running out of space, as my device reports 452MB free of 5.35GB. What else might be eating memory? I have NO music, No Photos and my videos are stored on the external SD card I installed.

Upvote 0
You have to have an app like ES File manager and give it permission to root priv. Then at the top of the screen you will see options. Click on Favorites that it will take you into the root files. Find the one that looks like a phone at the top. Find the files that says data. The Text GPS files are there, in the GPS folder.

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
You have to have an app like ES File manager and give it permission to root priv. Then at the top of the screen you will see options. Click on Favorites that it will take you into the root files. Find the one that looks like a phone at the top. Find the files that says data. The Text GPS files are there, in the GPS folder.

I have several different file manager program including the one you suggested. None of them seem to see anything inside the data folder. Superuser is installed, but lists no apps for me to give permission to? What might I be missing?
Thanks!

Upvote 0
So I carefully followed the instructions, gained root access, and when I check for log files in /data/gps, I find no folder called gps. I'm still running out of space, as my device reports 452MB free of 5.35GB. What else might be eating memory? I have NO music, No Photos and my videos are stored on the external SD card I installed.
It appears that you have not actually configured a file manager to use root privileges. For example, in ES File Explorer, look down at the Android buttons (lower left). To the right of those buttons you will see an options menu button (3 vertically stacked dots). Select that and then select Settings. Scroll down, select Root settings, and finally select Root explorer. Allow superuser when prompted. You should now be able to see sub directories and files under /data. Be careful about what you change as root, and turn Root explorer back off when you are done to reduce risk.

Reactions: dbldipp
Upvote 0
I suspect that you are looking at the wrong data folder. You need to look in /data not /sdcard/data. There are other "data" folders also, but file managers often default to /sdcard so if you just select a folder named data from there, you are in the wrong place.

When you are navigating in ES File Explorer you can see the full path name in the upper left corner. That will show /data when you find the /data folder.

Selecting the Android back button after you open ES File Explorer will take you back to the root directory (/). You can then select the /data directory from there.

Upvote 0
I suspect that you are looking at the wrong data folder. You need to look in /data not /sdcard/data. There are other "data" folders also, but file managers often default to /sdcard so if you just select a folder named data from there, you are in the wrong place.

When you are navigating in ES File Explorer you can see the full path name in the upper left corner. That will show /data when you find the /data folder.

Selecting the Android back button after you open ES File Explorer will take you back to the root directory (/). You can then select the /data directory from there.

+10 HP! 2.3 GB free'd up. 2.3 GB!
Thank you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones