Why AMOLED Isn't Everything (ars technica)Support

Last Updated:

1. Zumaki

Zumaki Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Secrets of the Nexus One's screen: science, color, and hacks

An excellent (if not technical) writeup describing the Nexus One's amoled screen. Within the article are a few reasons why the tech isn't quite as awesome as we're led to believe. (And consequently why I don't mind that the Evo 4G has a standard LCD)

Thought you all might find it interesting :)

Advertisement
  2. StealthTH

StealthTH Well-Known Member

Interesting, but I don't see what he describes on his N1. I think the moment has a gorgeous screen. I don't see the shifting red and blues anywhere on my menu bar as he points out. I don't know if it is a difference in who made the phone or not but I just don't see it.

3. zcarman

zcarman Well-Known Member

I definitely see the bluish tint that everyone has reported. It's not bad, but not as white as my old Touch Pro 2 screen.

4. ydoucare

ydoucare Active Member

Interesting read, though I've yet to experience anything with the Moment's screen that is not superior to ANY comparable LCD. TRUE blacks, MUCH faster pixel response (no ghosting), no backlight bleed, unlimited viewing angle, etc. The only thing you could knock the Moment's screen for is the slightly blue tint, but after using it a while, I don't even really notice it anymore. Keep in mind, the implementation of AMOLED screens in mobile devices is relatively new.

5. Zumaki

Zumaki Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah I haven't really noticed the problem on my Moment either, so it might just be the way the N1 implements the tech. But I thought it would be interesting for all of us to know about this phenomenon for when we move on to the next phone.

6. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

I definatly see the blue tint in my wife's Moment, and it is way too much. Even side by side watching a Youtube video, a family member who is phone illiterate commented that my Hero looked better. So on paper the Moment is better, but I don't see it in the real world.

7. itsall4tay

itsall4tay Member

Amoled beautiful here. Most compelling feature of phone. Images lifelike. It's better than my macbook.