Why an Eris?General

Last Updated:

1. grvthang

grvthang Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I thought it might be interesting 2 ask forum members (especially after the flood new users due to vzw's recent discounts on it's android OS phones): Why did you choose an Eris?

Was it only because of the low initial cost? For me that wasn't much of an issue - I'm not a phone phreak who changes devices every few months, so the initial layout wasn't a big deal - I plan on keeping it for a little while.

I got it because of the small form factor. I need to carry a Blackberry Curve for my job, and since I need to carry two devices (the BB and my personal phone), I wanted my personal phone to be the smallest android phone that vzw carried. My brother, who works for Qwest, told me that the techies on his job were saying good things about the Eris, so I went for it.

I like the Eris, but if I could carry just one device, Im not sure I would have chosen it.

Advertisement
  2. EKG

EKG Well-Known Member

Well I was forced to switch to Verizon from AT&T due to various circumstances. I had an iPhone so I didn't think anything could quite match up to it. I did hear some good things about the Android phones though, saw the commercials, etc. I looked into the Android phones Verizon had to offer...the Droid and the Droid Eris. Even though the Droid was a bit faster, bigger, better resolution, I hated how it looked, and I hated the physical keyboard (I am an all touch screen type of guy). I then looked at the Droid Eris, and I loved everything about it. The size, the feel, the look, the touch screen...everything. The Eris made my switch to Verizon easy, and I now actually like it way more than I did my iPhone (I didn't think that was possible). I feel like I can do way more with it (even though there are less apps) than I could my iPhone.

3. grvthang

grvthang Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

That's a hell of a testimonial, coming from a former iphone user!
    I'm still (after a morning and a half) getting used to the touch screen for typing - I much prefer the physical keys on the BB.

4. karib

karib Well-Known Member

I was torturing myself over which phone to get... the moto droid that is faster, has navigation, bigger/better screen, but was sooo heavy. Or the droid eris which has a little less to offer as far as specs go, but is so nice in the way of form factor and still such an upgrade from my LG Dare. I ended up choosing the moto droid. I figured that I would start with what was supposed to be the better phone and since it was more expensive, if I wanted to switch, my husband wouldn't give me any grief for getting a less expensive phone. Well after about 3 weeks, I did just that, switched to the eris. The moto droid was a good phone, I just couln't get over the weight of it. I couldn't brind myself to buy a case for it because it would only add to the weight and size of it. I got the eris and I'm soooo happy that I did. Honestly, the only thing I miss (and I'm not sure how much I would even use it) is the navigation. And we're getting it soon anyways. Otherwise, I really like this phone "as is" and don't even really care (that much :)) about the update to 2.1. It is the better phone IMO! I was interested in an iphone, but not AT&T and I'm definitely not into BB's. So android seemed like the obvious choice to me. I will be keeping this phone until I'm eligable for an upgrade which is usually about 16-18 months. I will be sticking with the android OS in the future too. :p

5. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

Sleeker, more stylish, Sense UI, trackball, not made by Motorola.

The price was just a bonus.

6. shh

shh Well-Known Member

I shelled out $529 for a Nexus1 then found that the 3G coverage was dismal so I returned it and got the Eris and a 2-yr contract. My intention was to use the Eris to tide me over until the N1 came to Verizon then I would buy it and replace my Eris. Now I am quite certain that I will keep the Eris and not even consider the N1.

I will use the navigation update when 2.1 arrives. Other than that, I'm very happy with the Eris.

7. sc00bz

sc00bz Well-Known Member

The size, lack of a useless keyboard (dont get me wrong, I love keyboards, but couldn't stand the Droid), the fact that it was only $165 including taxes for a one year contract, open source.

I am considering a storm 2 come upgrade time in November, however. Alot of it depends on price and whether or not the browser gets an update. My buddy has had it since launch and at first I couldn't stand the click screen, but I've used it so much that I've come to like it.

8. sc00bz

sc00bz Well-Known Member

Edit - duplicate post

9. BoulderAndroidFan

BoulderAndroidFan Well-Known Member

My story's like EKG's, though I never owned an iPhone. I'm a longtime Verizon customer and was due for upgrade. Only had regular phones before so I wasn't ready to get the Droid brick--too big and bulky. I figured I could learn the touch keyboard and liked the shape and feel much more over the Droid. I think the Droid marketing blitz brought in lots of people to check it out--but I'm sure many came away with the Eris instead. But wishing the 2.1 update would come through soon so we could have some of the same functionality as the Droid with updated Google Maps, Nav, Goggles, Buzz, etc.

10. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

I had both the droid and the eris...

like the lady said above me the droid was faster, gps etc etc
    but it was soo heavyyyyy...for a girl who wears skinny tight jeans, sorry the droid couldn't fit in my pocket and i brought a clip and it weighed me down

i got the eris because it's a pretty nice looking phone, sense is cool even though it lags and i am now a newfound HTC fan

i just wish that we get 2.0+ soon

11. hogjowlz

hogjowlz Active Member

it was form factor for me. htc has a better track record than moto in my book as well.

12. tbaker

tbaker Well-Known Member

Plain and simple why I got the Eris, the fantastic support from XDA-Developers. SenseUI is a very nice bonus as I like everything about it more than the stock Android(specially its contact app).

13. natbet

natbet Active Member

I got the eris because I didn't really care for the keyboard on the droid, nor do I care for phones with a slide out anything. It just seems to me that a slider has a higher fail rate than a hinge.

14. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

I went into the Verizon store knowing I would buy the Droid. Once I saw the Droid, it just looked so big! I hated how you have to slide the keyboard all the way out, not just push it a little. It was also heavy. I was wondering how the heck was I going to carry it around. Then I saw the Droid Eris. I loved how small it was. Also the price was much cheaper. I love my Droid Eris and I'm keeping it until my 2 year contract ends.

15. XgeorgeX

XgeorgeX Active Member

Mainly the size. I was pretty dead set on the Droid because of the specs but after seeing it and playing with the two the difference in performance/screen quality didn't really justify the size for me. I had a BB storm and I wanted to get away from having a brick in my pocket.

So far this phone has done everything better than my BB storm did.

16. Romparoo

Romparoo Well-Known Member

First of all, I wanted to address those who say the Eris doesn't have navigation, it does. I have had the phone for 3 days now and have used the navigation several times to plan my route. It just doesn't have the voice turn by turn directions, which it will when it upgrades to 2.1.

I am a HTC fan, I had their Touch before and loved it! I do not care for Motorola phones, and the Droid is just not pleasant to look at, hold, or use, IMO. I decided back in November that I was going to get the Eris in Feb when my upgrade was available. I went into Verizon stores several times from then to now playing with the Eris and seeing what it could do. Then, about 2 weeks ago I learned of the N1 coming to Verizon and then the leaked Incredible and figured I would just wait until one of those came out. But I realized that those phones are probably still 2-4 months away, plus add in the fact that the Eris was $80 for 2, for me and my wife, I just couldn't pass that up, didn't make sense to spend $400+ on 2 N1/Incredible when I could spend $80 for 2 Eris'! I figure I could use the $300 savings on more modifications of my motorcycle ;)

17. W4LLY

W4LLY Well-Known Member

I cary my iPod Touch for Music and games. Because of this, I wanted a small phone, but that was smart and customizable. That's the Eris for ya. If it was my only device I carried around, I'd probably exchange it for a Droid...but I didn't need something like that since I will carry my very thing Touch as well.

18. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

Not a fan of carrying two devices. I got the Eris for the price and form factor. Love the slim design, trackball, and the physical send/end keys. I too was wary of anything from motorola, and at the time the droid was having issues with the battery door. That solidified it for me. (now though I wonder if I made the right choice...I would love a faster processer, nav, and the ability to root) Hopefully with the progress being made in the 2.1 update and with root I will be satisfied with my choice.

19. EatPuddin

EatPuddin New Member

Why? It was free, it's thinner and nicer than the MyTouch 3g and the Droid (I hate the droid, it's ugly), touch sensitive buttons, pinch zoom, 3.5mm headphone jack, and it was free.

I thought the Eris had a compass, and GPS... why can't you use navigation? I don't get it.

20. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

glad it was free for you. For me it was not. I mentioned the form factor was a deciding factor, but rooting would outshine any hiccups I had with that. I'm just jealous the droid has root and the Eris doesn't.

21. SirEagle

SirEagle Well-Known Member

Wanted something that had a keyboard and better camera. Originally thought about the Moto Droid, but it is bulkier than what I wanted as I carry my phone in my pocket. Didn't care for the slider either. Android software looked great, Eris size, touchscreen, 5mp camera sold me. Been playing and readind and playing some more for a week now. Man I really like this phone. :D

And you can use Google Maps currently to navigate with. Can't wait for 2.1 to show up though.

22. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I walked into Verizon dead set on getting the Moto Droid. After reading all the reviews and seeing the pre release videos, I just knew that it was going to be an amazing phone. I had heard of the Eris, but only in passing. I still had a month before I could upgrade when the 2 came out, but went into a store on the first weekend to play with the Droid and see how great it was going to be. When I went in, someone was already playing with the only live demo, but the Eris was available so I started playing with it instead. The Sense UI blew me away. I loved the look and feel of it. The 7 home screens and all the widgets had me far more interested that the vanilla Android ever did. I ended up playing with the Eris for about 30 minutes and kept passing my chance to play with the Moto to the next person. Once I moved over to play with the Moto, it was no contest. I didn't like the size, hated the keyboard and the lack of Sense UI really turned me off. I decided to go home and read up on the Eris. I set out to learn more and I watched every video I could find about the phone, most of them multiple times.

So, for me it is really all about the Sense UI. I love the size and the physical buttons too, but Sense just blows me away. I was able to pick 2 of them up during the Bogo for $25 each, so my girlfriend got one too. We love 'em! Once we get 2.1 and root this phone will be the greatest thing out there, IMHO.

23. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

I got the Eris cause of its small size and ability to pretty much do everything the Droid can do. Yea the Moto came with 2.0 but this little guy with 1.5 and Sense and just seemed like a great deal.
    Everyone has stated great reasons why they chose the Eris, i got it for the simple fact that I wanted it over the Droid