why and when to use wifi?

Last Updated:

1. ginghis

ginghis Active Member This Topic's Starter

Im new to the wifi stuff. I would like to know why and when should or shouldnt use wifi?
    Thanks

Advertisement
  2. cc16177

cc16177 Well-Known Member

To be honest (and I could be wrong so feel free to correct me if I am) I don't see much of a reason to use it, but that's not saying that I don't. Occasionally at home if my laptop is out of reach and I'm feeling the need to browse the web a bit I may link my droid up with my wireless network at home... but for the most part seeing as how the verizon 3G network is easily available and quite fast I very rarely find myself using the wifi.

3. square

square Well-Known Member

some things, like uploading to youtube, require wifi.

4. ginghis

ginghis Active Member This Topic's Starter

cool thanks!

5. Tymanthius

Tymanthius Well-Known Member

I use wifi when it's available, esp. at home. It's faster than 3g, and supposedly, it uses less battery.

It can be esp. convenient with things like ssh & ftp.

I'm now using Torrent-Fu to tell Transmission, remotely, to grab torrents of vids I want to see.

Then, I can ssh in & start the conversion process.

Once the conversion is done, I can ftp in & grab the converted file. That download on 3g is FOREVER. Not as bad if wifi is available.

6. Dan_Droid

Dan_Droid Banned

It's definitely a lot faster than 3G in most cases, and it generally uses less power than 3G because the transmitter in your phone doesn't have to send a signal as far. When you use wifi, it only has to transmit a few hundred feet at most to the wifi router, instead of a mile or more to the cell phone tower.

I have my phone set up to automatically connect to my home network when it's in range. I like it because the phone will automatically switch to 3G when it loses the wifi signal, so I can come and go without having to worry about manually switching between the two.

There are also programs such as Locale (available in the Market) which will allow you to automatically enable/disable various features on your phone depending on where you are. If it detects you're at home, it can turn on the wifi and turn off the GPS. It will set the phone to silent mode at certain times or depending on where you are. Etc...

7. shademar

shademar Well-Known Member

I use the phone as a streaming internet radio player for a couple of hours a day, and connect through wifi at home and work (although 3G works just as well) just to keep the data usage manageable. If I walk out of wifi range, it jumps over to 3g automatically, so there's no downside that I can think of.

8. JimmyInAthens

JimmyInAthens New Member

Can I use wi fi to make a phone call?

9. n9zez

n9zez Well-Known Member

Sadly, I haven't used wifi once! I have waited years for VZW to implement wifi in their blackberry's because I thought I would use it all the time. I was wrong, the 3g is more than fine! Plus wifi is a big battery drainer.

10. Dan_Droid

Dan_Droid Banned

If you use Google Voice, yes I think you can.

11. istolvampire

istolvampire Well-Known Member

If you use gmote you need wifi.

12. Dan_Droid

Dan_Droid Banned

3G is fine when you're out and about, but Wifi is better if you are at home or at work and very close to a wifi router (for example, I'm sitting about 3 feet from my wifi router).

The reason wifi is better is because a) it's much faster, and b) your phone doesn't have to use as much battery power to transmit 3 feet as it does to transmit 5,000+ feet to the nearest cell phone tower.

So yeah, while 3G is great if you are driving around, and wifi is a bigger battery drainer than having no wifi (or 3g) at all, it is still better to use wifi if you are near a wifi access point.

13. mplevy

mplevy Well-Known Member

Nope, it still uses minutes.

14. Dan_Droid

Dan_Droid Banned

The question I was responding to was "can I use wifi to make a phone call?", not "does Google Voice use minutes on my phone?". Please try to read at least the last few posts in the thread first before responding.

15. mplevy

mplevy Well-Known Member

I know what you were replying to. Google voice cannot currently act as a voip service, calls go over the cell network even if you're connected to wifi when the call is initiated.