Why and why not to root an Android device?

Last Updated:

1. dominion_vortar

dominion_vortar New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi!

I'm planning on getting a Nexus One when it hits the UK, and want to use it for Tethering. As far as I know, there are two option - Root, and use Android wi-fi tether to create a hotspot to connect to, or use an application such as PDANet to connect to my machine.

I want to root my device and tether it that way - it seems like a better way to me. I've jailbroken many iPhone's over the years, but haven't owned an Android device, and was wondering what the disadvantages were?

Will I still receive over the air updates to the Android OS, or would I have to re-root the device after updating? Any advice is much appreciated!

John.

Advertisement
  2. Trenchant

Trenchant Well-Known Member

You wont receive updates automatically. You will have to update your rom manually.

Once you root you wont have to root again.

3. alamoe

alamoe Well-Known Member

the point about ota updates is valid but most of the rooted roms are better than the official versions anyway, IMO

4. Sirchuk

Sirchuk Active Member

Two things,

1. WiFi tether ONLY works with a rooted phone. Otherwise you have to use PDANet. Having used both, WiFi tether is awesome! Plus multiple people can connect to it. So if your out with some friends or coworkers or classmates, everyone can share your connection.

2. Yes, you won't be able to install the over the air updates. If you're on T-Mobile, that can be beneficial to have those updates because they've been frequent. If you're on Sprint, then whoopty-doo, 1 tiny update since release. As for Verizon, again, 1 update.

So you'll have to wait a day or two or a week for the Android devs in the XDA forums and here to release a new ROM that will ultimately be faster than the ones from the manufacturers anyhow (HTC and Motorola.)

Just my .02

5. TheElectricalGuru

TheElectricalGuru Member

My question is this....is the WIFI connection any faster than using PDANET? And....if you ROOT..in order to do the WIFI do you have to program any code or simply download an APP for that.....this is an important question for someone who does not want to mess with any of the code but wants the benefits of WIFI tethering.

Also...are all the ROM loads that are not OTA would be as the update.zip or is that only for the root process.....in otherwords how do you update the ROM without the OTA.
    Can anyone answer these questions..

6. Sirchuk

Sirchuk Active Member

Regarding the tether app, as far as I know it's just an application. I'm not really sure though, since I have a Sprint Hero all of the roms have the application buit in.

As for a speed difference, I never compared the two. With PDANet you need an application running on the laptop/desktop/whatever, and you need the application running on the phone.

With the tether app, you can configure security (I have it open but I decide who to allow to connect) and you just hit press the giant "Start Tether" button, go to the laptop, desktop, other phone, pda, e-book reader with wifi, WHATEVER that has 802.11 wifi and view the available wireless networks, select your phones network, and connect! If you have it setup for approval, your phone will buzz and allow you to accept or deny the connection.

PDANet only allows 1 connected device, as far as I know multiple devices can connect to the Wifi tether app. Since it doesn't require special software on the apps connecting to it, anything that supports wifi can connect. Really handy if you have other people that want to connect to it, or like a camera with a wifi card that automatically uploads pictures, you can do it anywhere without a special internet connection (unlike pdanet)

2. As for the rom updating. Roms typically are downloaded in a "Fresh1.1.zip" format for instance. You have to rename the file to update.zip. All updates are done this way, be it a kernal update or ROM update or just a boot screen change, they all have to be update.zip in name. You can either download directly from your phone and using a file explorer app rename the file to update.zip and move it to the root of the SD card, or connect your phone to a PC and rename the file and move it to the root of the SD card. All you do is boot into the recovery console (home+power on) and select "Install ROM from zip." and select the Update.zip file.

Since you aren't going to have OTA updates available, it takes a couple of days for the devs to get the update and make it available as an installable ROM. Essentially you are relying on the developer community to give it to you. This is why donations are essential, it helps them help us. Buy 'em a cup of coffee or something, every little bit helps and essentially helps us.

If were willing to pay a couple bucks for an application that makes farting sounds (really, who are you people?!) why not pay to support those developers (like Fresh) who are giving us these great apps, tools, and SPEED!

Hope this helps..