Advertisement
    :
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven What does this button do? Moderator

Um, yep. That pretty much sums it up.:)
  3. jhsrennie

jhsrennie Well-Known Member

I agree with all the points in the article, but it misses the point that not everyone is a geek. A while back I attempted to get my Mum to use an Android tablet (an Asus Transformer with ICS) but it kept on doing things she didn't expect. I bought her an iPad instead, and she's very happy with that.

We all sneer at the "nanny tactics" of iOS, but Apple have done an astonishingly good job of making it both idiot proof and reasonably powerful. It's hardly suprising that manufacturers try to blunt the geeky edges that vanilla Android has. The trouble is that they get all the disadvantges and still haven't matched Apple's ease of use.
  4. Nexus 4 is truly the great device and the awesome specs but the cheap price. And also the timely update.
  5. sparksd

sparksd Well-Known Member

Yeah, even my 93 year-old mother has been able to use an iPad on her own. I have multiple Android devices but I tip my hat to Apple what they have done in terms of creating a simple, powerful device.
  6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

What allows apple it's simplicity is the restrictiveness of the Os. It's real easy to open an app or change your wallpaper, but that's about all you're allowed to do.
  7. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

It's a pretty good summary. It's refreshing to read an article where the author know what they're talking about and sticks to facts. Very little bias in this.
  8. jhsrennie

Agreed, but that's all most people want to do.

I've long wondered why no manufacturer has offered a "basic skin" option that just does the same as iOS. I wouldn't use it myself, but my Mum would.
  9. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer Guide

I'm not convinced the "skin" makes any difference - nobody makes you dig into Android after all.

I imagine the average Nexus 7 buyer uses it pretty much the same as they would use an iPad - straight from the box without meddling with Android internals. The only difference is that with Android they still have the ability to meddle - if they so choose.

Choice is good.
  10. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

The problem is that choices usually add complexity. If you have only 1 option that fits 90% of the user requirements that is simple.

If you add 10 choices for the remaining 10% of the users, you make it more complicated for the 90% that can live with the 1 and only option.
  11. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer Guide

Is the Nexus 7 complex for a novice user?

I don't think so judging by some people I know. Most comment on how like the iPad it is... :)

The complexity is well hidden and has to be sought, it doesn't jump out at people who have no interest in it. Denying freedom of choice is never a good idea.
  12. jhsrennie

It was for my 80 year old mother. Within a few minutes of handing her the table I'd hear cries of "Oh, now what's it done!".

Anyhow, no-one is suggesting choice be removed. What I'm suggesting is that there should be a choice of a "non-nerd" skin. Neither you nor I would choose it, but my mum would have.
  13. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

That is an excellent suggestion.